AMP done good....

Discussion in 'Main Message Board' started by Preacher, Aug 8, 2018.

1. Preacher

Preacher Gold $$ Contributor

Had a problem with the boss and a #17 pilot in my AMP annealer yesterday, somehow it got stuck and would not come unscrewed.. Ended up popping the boss out of the machine trying to remove it.
    Finally chucked it in my lathe and cut the threads out enough to remove the pilot from the boss...
    Emailed Alex, and asked if they would send me a new one after explaining the problem..
    Less than 12 hours later got a return message that they would forward me a new boss and a #17 pilot if I would send a photo of the opening where the boss sets so they could send the correct one..
    Thats the kind of customer service I like.......

370bc, LRPV and Mulligan like this.
  2. fx77

fx77

This weekend annealing 80 cases with the AMP and the brass shell holder..It got so hot I burned my thumb..superficial second degree from which I will survive.
    I wish they had an insulated or longer brass shell holder . Anyone with any ideas here? I love the AMP unit..I did report this, but either they did not believe me or they blew me off...sad...one thing I do know is burns, having in the past worked in the largest burn unit in the SE US for 6 mo....
    Thus I need until problem solved to give it a rest during the annealing process

370bc likes this.
  3. walker2713

walker2713 Gold $$ Contributor

A few weeks ago my AMP stopped working....Fedex picked it up the next day, and a replacement was on my doorstep via Fedex from NZ barely a week later.

Alex and his team are top notch when it comes to customer service. They're also very responsive to email requests for information.

4. rardoin

rardoin Silver $$ Contributor

I had misplaced my brass shellholder 'chuck' but needed to anneal some cases. I dug around in an old tool chest and found a 12pt socket (forget the nut size) that was a tight fit for shellholders when tapped in lightly on the bench. Mine is a standard depth chromed socket but still rejects heat better than the brass unit and has worked great. A deep well socket would run even cooler. I will find the size I used this pm and post it.

I wish AMP made the original out of stainless steel...or better yet...titanium. Alex...you got yer ears on good buddy?;)

fx77 likes this.
  5. R.Morehouse

R.Morehouse Gold $$ Contributor

This heat problem is gladly a mystery to me. I use mine all the time with out issue......Yesterday i did just shy of 100 6ppc 262 neck then another 55bra 268 neck with out a break or any issue with heat......Maybe my cycle time per round a much shorter......Oh Yeah, all done while sitting in front of the TV with the AMP on a tray table...:cool:

Regards
    Rick

dogdude likes this.
  6. rardoin

Certainly is neck thickness dependent (or mass I presume) as I found greater heating of my holder doing 78 pieces of 0.016" thick necked 6 Creedmoor brass than when I annealed much more thinner necked 6.5 x55 Imp cases; the heating cycle was noticed to be longer in the thicker necked brass.

7. Preacher

Hmmmmm !!! I just did 175 cases without a break and didn't notice any excess heat...
    Wondering if you had to much heat from a off number ??

8. Preacher

Thicker necks will indeed take more heat...even a .001 is noticeable.
    Sure glad I just installed the AZTEC and can now figure out exact numbers for any particular lot or thickness of necks...

dmoran and Willie like this.
  9. fx77

fx77

Nope used the program for Lapua Brass 6 BR right from the reference table..Necks about .014" wall thickness
    One think about which I gave thought was that sometimes it is hard to get my shell case to drop the shell and then more heat could be transferred from the shell holder to the brass device,,thus an alternative device or insulation is to be considered to hold the brass.

10. rardoin

I use a shellholder that very loosely holds the case. This allows a simple turn of my wrist for it to drop in the collection pan. It probably does reduce heat transfer.

Willie likes this.
  11. David247

David247 Silver $$ Contributor

I got two and rotate when they get hot. Fairly cheap solution, ;)

boltfluter and fx77 like this.
  12. falconpilot

falconpilot Gold $$ Contributor

How are you guys getting them hot enough to burn??? I did 250 300 wsm cases a couple weeks ago. Nothing ever got hot enough to burn me....?????And yes, I have Aztec mod done as well..

13. bullzeyenj

bullzeyenj

If you wear a thin rubber work glove you will not get burnt and still have your dexterity to handle the case holder. You can even remove the hot case with your gloved hand without sustaining injury.