AMP AZTEC ??

Discussion in 'Reloading Forum (All Calibers)' started by R.Morehouse, Jul 18, 2018.

1. R.Morehouse

R.Morehouse Gold $$ Contributor

I was thinking of getting the AZTEC but decided to wait until some of the 1st. "bugs" were sorted out......I am looking for some input from users about the ease of the download into older PC's and if you may have gotten a code for your brass then after 5+ cycles through the AMP if you may have sent a piece through the AZTEC to see if the code changed................Thanks

Regards
    Rick

2. LVLAaron

LVLAaron Gold $$ Contributor

They just updated Aztec a few days ago.

Haven't checked how much if any the code changes. The code could be different for each piece of brass so it's hard to say, since the brass you test on melts and you throw it away.

R.Morehouse likes this.
  3. Macropod

Macropod

I am now using it and find it very convenient. I haven't yet tried running a second test yet to see if they match. Still running the original Aztec program which was easy to set up on an older windows 7 laptop. Will update shortly.

R.Morehouse likes this.
  4. LoanHarvey

LoanHarvey Authorized Valdada Dealer Gold $$ Contributor

I used the analyze mode and got the code for a particular lot of brass. A couple days later I tested a 2nd piece of brass from the same lot, and it came up with the same code.

5. PatMiles

PatMiles Gold $$ Contributor

Good to know that it is consistent even though it was a tiny sample. May have to order the option.

6. Kurt Blasser

Kurt Blasser Silver $$ Contributor

I wonder if it generates a new code, and that code is for a specific set of conditions and won't issue the same code again. I have tried on the same lot of brass and get different numbers each time. Something to clarify with AMP.

7. MikeMcCasland

MikeMcCasland Gold $$ Contributor

I've tested and received both different and the same numbers on various lots of brass. If it has been different, it's only been +/- 1 number, so I've defaulted to the lowest value.

I would imagine if you follow their instructions of weight sorting cases, then analyzing the most representative median weight, you'd be best served. I get the impression there isn't a huge variation in duration/heat between say 165 & 166 (i.e. I think it analyzes in 'high resolution').

dmoran likes this.
  8. F Class John

F Class John NRA Life Member Gold $$ Contributor

As noted above the code is pretty much repeatable. Movement up or down a number or two has almost no impact on the annealing in my experience. There's a window there. The code is also transferable from machine to machine so if you end up at a friends house to reload you can bring your code and feel confident it's getting annealed the same as at your house.

dmoran and rardoin like this.
  9. 6MT

6MT

I've only repeated the Aztec analysis in two calibres. A .308win first fired and then fourth fired. Same code. And my BMG Lapua case after the first firing and then a different case after three firings. Same code again.

Can't get more consistent than that.

EDIT: I always use wet tumbled (clean & dry) and de-capped cases in my AMP. I have heard of some people using dirty cases when they use their AMP. I'm not sure if it would affect the results. Probably not, but I'm anal-retentive;-)

Last edited: May 28, 2019
  10. rardoin

rardoin Silver $$ Contributor

Findlay tested that and found it did not have an effect of state of anneal.

Shooter13 likes this.
  11. 6MT

6MT

Yeah....

In my Gen-I machine, I saw the state of the "pan" below the induction coil after a year's use. There were a number of times that I didn't clean my brass before annealing. That pan looked pretty ugly. Of course, it would not affect the annealing process. But just how long and how built up the "sludge" in that pan got before it did affect things was something I wasn't willing to try out.

The Gen-II units don't have that "catch pan" below the coil, so with the new unit, it's a moot point. Again, I am anal-retentive. I don't like things dirty.

Sorry to de-rail the op's thread. I will be quiet now.

12. Matt Findlay

Matt Findlay

This article explains why there is some variation in the AZTEC settings when analyzing different cases from the same batch. Its all to do with the consistency of the brass:

Annealing under the microscope Part 3

dmoran and dogdude like this.
  13. F Class John

F Class John NRA Life Member Gold $$ Contributor

I always annealed dirty brass when I had my Gen 1. Now that I’m using a gen 2 and the amp mate I do about 10-15 minutes in dry media just to knock major crap off the brass but only because the amp mate get dirty easily on the feed chute as well as the Dillon feeder I use and I hate cleaning it.