AMP annealer Mark II

Discussion in 'Reloading Forum (All Calibers)' started by 6MT, Jul 4, 2018.

1. 6MT

6MT

AMP is (finally) introducing the Mark II annealing unit. It will do every case from 17 Hornet up to and including the .50 BMG case. It will also include the Aztec software upgrade to do your own brass analysis. It takes the same pilots and shell holder grip as the original unit. There is some new pilots and a special shell holder grip coming for the BMG case.

Shipping from down under begins at the end of July!

I know, my original unit will be up for sale very soon.

2. 6MT

6MT

I just received my Mark-II unit yesterday. What can I say? It's bigger. I think it's quieter. I will try it out this weekend with the Aztec software for each of my calibre's cases and see if the OEM program is ok. I am really looking forward to trying it out with the BMG case (Lapua).

I will report back.

3. 22DASHER

22DASHER Gold $$ Contributor

Where did you get it from and what was the price?

4. 6MT

6MT

Well, I live in Canada. The land of the highly taxed. I got it from x-reload in Ontario. The price in Canadian dollars was just below $1900 delivered. I know....ouch! (From you USA folks.) So, roughly $1400 US all in (?).

5. PatMiles

PatMiles Gold $$ Contributor

Ouch is right!

6. Falfan2017

Falfan2017 Gold $$ Contributor

I believe you can order with a waiting list from brownels

7. shoot4fun

shoot4fun Gold $$ Contributor

Graf price for a Mark II (out of stock) is $1394.99.
    Call me old-school if you will but I just like seeing the case necks and just how much heat is applied.
    Plus, I still like to tumble with SS pins now and again and I hear the warranty on an AMP is voided if a pin gets down inside.

8. 6MT

6MT

You lucky buggers down in the USA. x-reload in Ontario got 20 of the units in. I believe they only have a couple left. It seems they will be very popular.

9. 6MT

6MT

I have been worried about dropping a steel pin in mine. I take very special care to make sure there are none in any case I drop into my machine. As far as the "voided warranty" claim goes... I don't really know. But one should take care.

10. shoot4fun

shoot4fun Gold $$ Contributor

Read AMP FAQ section on SS media.
    Note: If you are using stainless steel media for case tumbling, you must be certain to remove all media from cases before annealing. If any media dislodges inside the annealer inductor well, it will be heated to a very high temperature during the annealing cycle. This will melt the bottom of poly carbonate inductor cradle and ruin the inductor. This will void the warranty.
    Seems pretty clear.

11. 6MT

6MT

I agree. I did not know that. I am glad that I have been very careful with mine.

12. stifffingers

stifffingers Silver $$ Contributor

It's not just the steel pins, it could also occur with the build up of fuzz from cleaning case necks with 0000 steel wool falling in and collecting in bottom below the induction coil. Be sure to tap case mouths on bench before inserting in unit and removing fuzz with a magnetic screw driver. Unplug the machine first. I brought this up a few months ago with Mr. Finley and he replied it was being corrected with the new machine being redesigned for the 50BMG in which there would be nothing under the coil and pins would fall thru and not be a problem. Whether or not that is truly the case, I really don't know.

Last edited: Nov 2, 2018
  13. 6MT

6MT

Yeah, that's why I always wet tumble before annealing. And I do the tapping thing too. It's funny you mention that, because my wife was watching me a while back and asked me why I tapped every case before I inserted it into the machine. She thought I had some sort of OCD disease.

Rushty and LarryDScott like this.
  14. stifffingers

At first it was AMP's belief that tumbling with SS pins worked hardened the brass and should be done before annealing. After extensive testing AMP learned it is a slight hardening of the surface of the brass and not below the surface. So I changed my procedure to anneal first, tumble, size, and after removing the die wax with a paper towel, I still have a slight protective coating on the case to prevent oxidation(tarnish).

15. 6MT

6MT

I've also been conversing with Alex for almost a year now about the Mark-II machine. The re-design below the coil would be a good thing if people anneal without cleaning their brass.

16. 6MT

6MT

Finally got to try it out yesterday. (Life just got in the way since last Thursday.) The Aztec mode is cool! It seems the factory setting for Lapua brass is spot on. I tried it on four different calibres (all Lapua). This thing is really just plug 'n play. Having the original unit since the beginning of this year, there was nothing different to learn in the standard mode. (btw, I did use AMP's case evaluation service earlier this year before the Aztec software upgrade was available on the original unit)

[​IMG]

Above, it sits next to the original machine (on the left). As you can see, the cabinet is exactly the same. But there are dual cooling fans instead of the single one on the original unit. Have a look at the size of the BMG pilot and grip/shell holder. Massive compared to even the .338LM which sits on the left of the smaller line-up. But, isn't everything with the BMG?

If you're still on the fence about these units, really....they are so easy. Pricey? Yes! But the cool factor is off the charts! So what's to report? It looks like same old, same old as compared to the original unit. With the exception of doing the BMG case and having the ability to evaluate your own brass. Choose your program number, correct pilot, and grip/shell holder combo....insert and push the button. Make sure you have a cooling tray (don't drop a hot case on the carpet), and away you go.

Last edited: Nov 5, 2018
    dogdude and Ccrider like this.
  17. stifffingers

Will you do me a favor and look into pilot hole and tell us if the plastic cradle under the induction coil of your first unit has been removed in the redesign of your new machine. Enjoy the new unit.

18. 6MT

6MT

Yes it has been removed. There is no cup there. There is a longer ceramic insulator with a hole in the bottom. The white color tells me it is ceramic. The original machine's pan is polycarbonate (plastic).

Last edited: Nov 12, 2018 at 9:44 PM
  19. dttheliman

dttheliman

To be fair to the earlier machine (BMG excluded) I upped to Aztec and am a believer - its just plain awesome.

20. Alexander-M

Alexander-M Gold $$ Contributor

The SS Pin issue -

I have the original AMP with Aztec, and really like it. I also clean before annealing using the SS pins and a tumbler.
    I take several steps, most of which I have read described here on the forum, to insure there are no pins in the cases prior to anneal, and after many hundreds of SS pin cleaned cases followed by the AMP anneal, I have had no problem. (Knock on wood.)

However, I add one step that I have not read or heard described before: After the cases are dry, I slide a magnet (*) on the outside of each case from the base to the neck mouth, and any pins that are still in the case will come out and stick to the magnet. And yes, I have found three pins since I started doing this.

(*) I use a Ø3/4" x 3/8" Neodymium (NdFeB) magnet, but any strong magnet should do fine.

Good luck!

Alex

Last edited: Nov 12, 2018 at 2:16 PM
    Rushty and Bob L. like this.