AMP Anneal ?

Discussion in 'Reloading Forum (All Calibers)' started by R.Olds, Jan 13, 2020.

1. R.Olds

R.Olds

When using the Aztec mode for generating codes for brass, is the code generated simply the time frame in a specific set temp....or does the temp change as well as the time with each code?

TIA,

Rick

WhiskyTahoeFoxtrot likes this.
  2. WhiskyTahoeFoxtrot

WhiskyTahoeFoxtrot Gold $$ Contributor

Good question.
    I want to say the temp will have a range based on case size but it's probably best to send your question directly to AMP, they are super responsive.

info@ampannealing.com

3. jvw2008

jvw2008 Lose the Second and we lose them all. Gold $$ Contributor

Alex will definitely respond if you use that link to send him an email. You have posed a good question. I would like to hear what he says, so report back please.

4. R.Olds

R.Olds

Thanks guys....will keep you posted.

5. R.Olds

R.Olds

Question to AMP:
    My main question is, I was wondering, (see if I can word this right) for example code 149 vs code 160….does the machine vary the power to the induction coil, or does it simply have 1 power setting to the coil, and the case codes are achieved simply by leaving them in shorter or longer periods of time.
    Reason for my question, I was wanting to add a bit more heat to a few cases and do some testing at the range.
    Thanks for your time,
    Rick

Here is the reply:
    Hi Rick,

That is getting into our IP, and there is only so much we will divulge. What I can say is that the programs are linear, and 0150 will give a fraction softer anneal than 0149. The incremental difference between each code varies, so to give users like you much more accurate incremental adjustments, we included “Advanced” mode. That will give you exactly +/- 2.5 HV for each step. See here for details:

https://www.ampannealing.com/instructions/ Select “Operating modes” – AZTEC – Advanced mode.

Regards

Alex Findlay – President

RegionRat and Mulligan like this.
  6. WhiskyTahoeFoxtrot

WhiskyTahoeFoxtrot Gold $$ Contributor

Thanks for posting Alex's response to your question. Their customer service and response time are refreshing aren't they?

Mulligan likes this.
  7. jvw2008

jvw2008 Lose the Second and we lose them all. Gold $$ Contributor

@R.Olds

Thanks for following thru and sharing that info from Alex.

The answer to this question was important to me as it applies to necks that are cut thin. Alex related to me, a month or so ago, that the Aztec codes are set strictly by the brass response in the neck (not the shoulder). Some annealing takes place in the shoulder but the code is set by the neck response.

After thinking about that I realized that if necks are cut too thin than the annealing result would be under annealed shoulders and thus potentially erratic shoulder bumps.

With a 6BRA, my most consistent loads (based on target and reloading observations) are with brass on its 2nd and 3rd cycle without annealing between cycles. Going into the fourth cycle, there is a very noticeable increase in bullet seating pressure from what I presume to be a level of hardness that is excessive. At this stage I also see a marked increase in the number of erratic shoulder bumps by as much as a 2 thousandths variance.

With annealing my objective is to return brass to a steady state with each cycle and not necessarily a complete anneal softness. I turn my necks to 0.011 for a .268 chamber neck. I am wondering if there might be an advantage of annealing every cycle at a slightly lower code to maintain a better balance between the shoulder and neck hardness. Sure would be nice to have some of Alex’s equipment to test the idea. Looks like once again my target is going to have the final say.

Last edited: Jan 15, 2020
  8. R.Olds

R.Olds

For sure, good customer service is getting harder to find these days.....those guys do a great job.....love my machine as well....:)

9. R.Olds

R.Olds

Thanks for that info as well. Makes sense why my neck turned brass has such a lower code than the non turned same brass.