Ammo testing new RRA Service Rifle

Discussion in 'Small Stuff--22s, 20s, and 17s' started by NMcarbine, Feb 17, 2018.

1. kevinbritvec

kevinbritvec

I've competed in over 200 NRA/DCM/CMP tournaments in my lifetime. 52/53 grain match bullets shoot the tightest groups at 100 yards of anything I have ever tried. It doesn't matter what twist rate your barrel has, these little bullets hammer at that distance.

100 yard reduced courses don't need heavy match bullets.

Beau likes this.
  2. NMcarbine

NMcarbine

I don't expect to be a champion :)

BTW, went to the High Power league shoot Sunday...after getting my stuff out, ready to try for the first time, they cancelled the event due to the wind and cold. Actually saw a couple snow flakes. It is my understanding that they actually begin reporting the scores as of next month so I was hoping to get one shoot in as practice.

Turns out my standard 1907 sling is only 48" and too short, so I wasn't quite prepared after thinking I had bought everything needed...oh well..

3. NMcarbine

NMcarbine

I was aware I wouldn't need to use heavy bullets at short distance and assumed since I was a newbie it would be a chance to burn up some XM193 and misc 55gr ammo I have.

In my search for various ammos to try, I didn't see an 52/53 options and I have nothing between 50 and 55 gr. Are those handloads, or is there commercially available 52s or 53 available to test with?

Thanks!

4. NMcarbine

NMcarbine

What timely advice...at your suggestion I checked what I could find. Midway is having a St. Patty's day free shipping event so I stopped by their site. Happens Midway is private packaging Nosler 53gr FB Tipped ammo, presumably Varmageddon. The stuff is selling for half the price of the Nosler branded version. A reviewer said it was also Nosler brass he said was .60/ea so at .44ea loaded, seemed like a deal :)

I had also found out my standard 1907 leather sling was too short so I also ordered a Turner Biothanw 54/56" sling which put me over the $99 min for free shipping.

Thanks...