Am i lucky, or just blind?

Discussion in 'Main Message Board' started by chop house, Jan 12, 2018.

1. chop house

chop house

been lots of good posts recently about removing the carbon ring. armed with all this new info, i went searching for one to try some of the techniques mentioned. since i shoot some midpower loads that sometimes smoke case necks, i was sure i wouldn't have to look very far. these are not hunting rifles that only shoot 3 boxes of ammo a year. i have also, only recently gotten into annealing, so i was about sure my brass would be prone to leaving the deposits.

even scoping an 80's vintage .243 bbl that is pristine outside, but about e.o.l. in the throat, i cannot definitively say i've found one.

what am i missing? are my cleaning regimens (unitentionally) over zealous? does anyone have any scope pictures they can post?

2. JBT

JBT Gold $$ Contributor

If your barrel maintenance is sound then you will not get carbon build up. Most importantly though, how do the rifles shoot?

3. haveme1

haveme1

500+ shots in my barlein 6mm bra and my barrel still looks new. Shoulders seal in this no turn neck chamber, neck is dirty.
    My shilen 22 is also new looking after 1000's.
    Hopps #9 only, cleans the 22 after every 50 shots, patch only.
    Hopps & a patch or two of copper remover every 10-20 shots for the 6mm. Oiled with kroil to not shoot a dry barrel. Mop the chamber dry.

After a match with either, I brush them good. I clean the chamber well in 6mm.
    Kroil in center fire. Reel oil in 22.
    Box em up.
    I was surprised at what they both looked like. Hopps only !

4. Twicepop

Twicepop

Bore Tech C-4 carbon remover, I got through Brownells/Sinclairs. Mop the bore with it, scrub with a nylon brush, then wet and dry patch it until they come out clean. I picked up an old 722 Rem in .222 that was someones bench rifle, I used the C-4 on it was amazed at the amount of black crud that came out of that barrel. After cleaning my .223 H/B Savage (Douglas barrel) I used C-4 on it and got quite a bit of carbon fouling from it also. It says that this product will also help to prevent future carbon build-up.

5. JBT

JBT Gold $$ Contributor

C4 is a good solvent and I do use it. However, I still find it necessary to use Iosso in the throat and about 6” forward of the throat about every 150 rounds. I never have carbon problems anymore.

Twicepop likes this.
  6. chop house

chop house

alright... dug deep and found a ring in a late 80's 700 i got at a show. looks like miniature welding splatter from a too cold stick welder. it stuck tight thru a good patching, so now i get to see what works.

was suprised at how far toward breech from chamber end it was. shows the difference between brass trim length and chamber safety margin quite nicely