Alpha 6 Dasher brass?

Discussion in '6BR, 6BR Improved & Wildcats' started by alleycat, Feb 3, 2020.

1. BJ44BJ

BJ44BJ Silver $$ Contributor

I had the same experience. Loved the look and measurement of the brass but the base of the case seemed soft. Ejector marks with a moderate to light load and hard bolt lift on the first firing.

2. Rset

Rset

Haven't had any issues. 32.5 Varget behind a 105 hybrid with no issues. Shoots just as well as my Lapua, but did drop the charge a .10 to keep same point of impact. Time will tell how long it lasts before the pockets open up.

TylerFromMS, hicap40 and RussellJ like this.
  3. 4xforfun

4xforfun Gold $$ Contributor

Not sure about the math on this. If you took a total of .005 (.0025 per side).... .2695 - .005 = .2645. If you removed .005 per side then that would be another .005 (total .010) ....so .2595. How are your loaded rounds .268?

Last edited: Mar 26, 2020
  4. shoot4fun

shoot4fun Gold $$ Contributor

Maybe I need to recheck. I may have had my BR loaded neck diameter stuck in my brain.
    OR just not enough zeros. :oops:

Last edited: Mar 26, 2020
  5. birdog

birdog DASHER DOME Gold $$ Contributor

Here you go Carlson Reese

6. North Fork

North Fork

Any one tried cci mag primers in the new brass yet

Last edited: Apr 3, 2020 at 4:24 PM
  7. Coolcarl

Coolcarl

Yes, I got bad primer blow back, was testing loads 33.5 RL-15. Also 32gr. of Norma 203b same primer problems. Those were cci 450 magnums, gonna try BR-4's. I'm happy with my alpha brass, it's beautiful, but i think the fact that when you fire form the lapua br brass it ofcourse thins it. I'm no professional by any means, but from the little bit I've seen fire forming the Lapua brass is how this clambering got where it is. I'll keep testing Alpha and lapua brass and post what I find. I did NOT get near the primer problems with the lapua brass, again I think the thining of the brass has something to do with that. Alright, I'm through rambling.

8. MTlager

MTlager Silver $$ Contributor

I tried 450, 205, br4 was my best. With varget and 105 grain bullets dropped a full grain, 32.2 running 3000 fps. With H4895 I’m down 1/2 grain, 31.8 for 3000. So reduce your load. If your having problems with 450, br4 won’t be any different!

Last edited: Apr 3, 2020 at 8:09 PM
    C. Nichols, Mulligan and Northridge like this.
  9. North Fork

North Fork

I tried the cci 450 mags yesterday with 33.6 gr of RL- 15 with the 105 they work fine .I like the brass. Going to try b.4 and federal next

Mulligan likes this.
  10. TylerFromMS

TylerFromMS

I shoot BR4s in mine and it works fantastic. My load is the same with Alpha and Lapua, for whatever that's worth. The Aztec program on the AMP is usually 148-149 for Lapua, and it was 148 for Alpha if you don't want to fry a case for programming.

11. Ccrider

Ccrider Gold $$ Contributor

Interesting. Are you turning your brass? How much? My Amp setting is lower. Amp says the setting may vary from lot to lot of the same manufacturers brass. I know the setting varies depending on how much brass you take off the neck.

12. TylerFromMS

TylerFromMS

Nope. I’ll never turn. It can vary, for sure. Generally all my lapua falls in that same range, so I’ll just use it rather than sacrifice a case. Alpha I’ll likely do the same thing. I need to start weighing brass, honestly. A friend sorted 200 pieces by .01 grams and this is what he came up with:

Attached Files:

13. Mulligan

Mulligan Gold $$ Contributor

That’s less than 1 gr to to bottom, correct? If so, darn consistent lot.
    CW

14. TylerFromMS

TylerFromMS

That’s 2 lots I believe, from first and second batch. This could be incorrect, however. And yes, I checked with him to make sure it was indeed 0.01 grams. The weight I know is factual.

It’s good stuff out of the box. I’ll have to see how primer pockets hold up but they seem to seat primers tighter than my blue box.

Mulligan likes this.
  15. Mulligan

after testing Alpha brass, I decided to shoot it in a match (600 IBS), no fire forming, nothing, the stuff preformed right out of the box! Well, actually I turned the necks and chamfered the mouths.
    I also tested with spicy loads, several firings on one piece of brass, loading at the range. I have no worries about the primer pockets holding up.
    CW

joshb and TylerFromMS like this.
  16. TylerFromMS

TylerFromMS

That’s good news about the primer pockets then. I haven’t really ran many rounds through mine yet. I fireformed with a normal match load for me and all I did was run a mandrel down it out of the box. One group was shot with delay. The other I shot using the first 5 for sighters and shot the last 5 like I would in benchrest. I’m not a benchrest shooter, just FYI, and my groups show it.

Attached Files:

Mulligan likes this.
  17. Mulligan

Awesome!