Almost ready for prairie dog season.

Discussion in 'Varminter & Hunting Forum' started by Randall Hardy, Mar 16, 2019.

1. Randall Hardy

Randall Hardy Silver $$ Contributor

0F99CBF0-800F-43D3-BAF5-53833E9A2B1A.jpeg This years configuration for South Dakota. What started as shooting mats has evolved into these. Be careful what you start because it’s hard to stop.

Randy

2. pdog2062

pdog2062

Contagious isn’t it,we went from mats on the ground to portable swivel benches

3. Randall Hardy

Yes there’s a Caldwell bench broken down in the white box.

4. powderbrake

powderbrake Gold $$ Contributor

I agree it is contagious, and it gets more and more expensive. Better rifles, better scopes, better rangefinders, swivel tables, new barrels. This year I am adding a SEB Mini as my front rest. I am taking my old fixed rest as well, in case the Mini doesn't work well.
    Also having a spare rifle that will hit the dogs as well as you main rifle. Last year, I suddenly could not hit them with my 6BR, so I switched to my 22-250, and finished out the day. It turned out to be a bad lot of 6mm bullets, which occasionally threw WAY off target. I worked that out after I got home, but the spare rifle was really needed.

5. DirtySteve

DirtySteve Gold $$ Contributor

There is still a lot of snow in the Dakotas and Montana. But it should be melting very quick. I hope so because my wife goes a way for a week and I also plan on blasting some P-dogs while she is gone. lol..

fyrewall and Jdne5b like this.
  6. Tommie

Tommie Gold $$ Contributor

I shoot off a portable bench as well. Found that bipods work better (for me) than traditional front rests. Yes, rests are somewhat more stable but I like the bipod’s ability to quickly swing to different locations on the table top. Never been able to train prairie dogs to line up directly in line with the front rest.
    :)

Ken and Bill K like this.
  7. Bill K

Bill K Silver $$ Contributor

Get yourself a swivel bench and you will never go back to a stationary one.

8. jcm24m

jcm24m Silver $$ Contributor

That is why they make the Caldwell swivel bench and then you add a boat seat with back rest to replace the small round seat. It is a never ending money pit but I love it.

9. Ken

Ken Gold $$ Contributor

Agree with the flow here. Now we often put the swivel bench on a platform in the back of the pickup. There is room for the shooter and the spotter.

10. nativecat01

nativecat01 Gold $$ Contributor

I have a DOA bench that works great. I tried it in the back of my truck, but I found that the wind blows too hard in Wyoming and it rocks the truck around.

11. Rick in Oregon

Rick in Oregon

When I first became addicted to rat shooting after returning to "the world" in 1968, we went through the laying on the ground thing with a shooting mat, and about every other possible method to shoot the little buggers. Stiff necks were the usual result.

In all that time, I've learned that if you don't have a solid, rotating bench, you are missing half the fun. That long experience is what spawned the BR Pivot, now being sold by Caldwell (MidwayUSA). Once you shoot from a rotating bench, you'll never go back to fixed platforms.

Shooting from an elevated position makes the experience even better (for us, not so much for the rats! :D )

[​IMG]

As soon as all this snow melts, it's off to the Rat Patch!

benchracer, thejamesd, Mark W and 2 others like this.
  12. TheOtherZilla

TheOtherZilla

I used to lay on the ground in my younger days, then a carpet. My elbows took a beating from rubbing on the ground and carpet. I keep looking at stands/tables, but the hood of my truck and a Harris short bi-pod work just fine.. Ido lay a small throw rug on the hood on hot days.. That hood gets hot!

13. Randall Hardy

+1 On the raw elbows, we would take a pair of sock and cut the toe out of them for elbow protection, oh yeh they were clean. Roller skating pads were also tried. Now all of us are using Caldwell stable tables. We still bring the mats just because. Haven’t been used in a few years. When we started going we used our truck to get around, over the years the elements have washed out our crossings to the point that trucks no longer get to where we shoot. The quads are more fun anyway.
    Randy

14. 5spd

5spd

Same here, until I was about 40 I was all walk and lay on the ground, no mat, just a pack and ammo. These days I use my swivel bench I made 14 years back and set it up in the bed of my truck. The added elevation makes a giant difference in seeing those targets as stated above. No more raw elbows, neck pain or back pain for me.

Mark W likes this.
  15. JSH

JSH

I have a good pivot bench, but we found a town last year that is a fair bit from just pulling up and unloading gear and shooting.

Cactus and tumble weeds on three sides. Pivoting bench is to pack and then is too low to get over the weeds and cactus. So I bought one of the three legged stands with a top on it. Much like a surveyors tripod. Had good reviews and I talked to a few guys that have them.
    The guys that had them always take at least one of these with them for just what I ran across, tough access but good shooting. That is much like any hunting or fishing, easy access equals low or tough success.

I have been ready to go since the last day I hunted.
    Jeff

Prose likes this.
  16. Prose

Prose

I gave up the benches when I was about 20 years old and went mobile with a harris bi-pod and use the terrain to sneak. We wear elbow and knee pads, Tacticool pants and shirts, and camelbacks. It's a blast. Sure can shoot accurately off a bench but you hit em almost every time when you use the wind instead of fighting it. Carry about 200 rounds at a time and get 3 sessions in per day with meals in-between.

17. JSH

JSH

Cactus,rattlesnakes,fire ants, scorpions .....nope I ain’t gonna crawl in that stuff.

18. Randall Hardy

Amen to that. I quit walking when I learned how to drive something.

19. centershot

centershot Silver $$ Contributor

I replaced my Caldwell top with plywood with a cut out for your torso. Use to carry a piece of carpet and would put it on a prairie dog mound for added height. The carpet served duty as a barrier for snakes in the hole!

20. Coyotefurharvester

Coyotefurharvester

Most of the time the shooters(even young ones)with me want to park and shoot. I would prefer to hike and shoot off bipod and pad. I am almost 60, guessing my preference will change at some point. And actually doesn't matter if I shoot 500 rounds or 200 in a day. Shoot with good form, plenty of water,tasty snacks and great wide open scenery= a great day.

Ozzyblu, DirtySteve and boltfluter like this.