Air rifle scope recommendation

Discussion in 'Rimfire & Smallbore' started by Bugs, Jun 20, 2017.

1. Bugs

Bugs Gold $$ Contributor

Hi Folks. . . . i just inherited a very nice old spring Wehrauch air rifle with a good trigger and decent sights but want to put a scope on it and know next to nothing about air rifle scopes. Any recommendations on something that is OK optically and will withstand the recoil without breaking the bank would be much appreciated.

Thanks,
    Mike

2. Ggmac

Ggmac

Bsa has some decent ones , remember that most shooting is at 10 meters so magnification isn't as important as being able to focus and adjust parallax at that range . Get lots of dif pellets , don't go for light weight non lead ones

BobLor likes this.
  3. snert

snert Gold $$ Contributor

I have used the BSA 2-7 air rifle scope with mixed results,. One has lasted and one quit. Both were on either M48 or M450 Diana springers. Both are hard recoil rifles. BSA sent me a new one when one died. I sold it with the M48 when I went to a Marauder. I have not looked back at a springer since.

Only other choice I know are some of the "big wheel" models touted on the field target web sites dedicated to air gun work, or an EFR Leupold 6.5-20.

I do know that the mount is as or more important than the scope. I used a German made (read complicated stinker) adjustable lockable mount on my M48 sidelever. Use the recoil pin if afforded one.

4. seymour fish

seymour fish

Bushnell 4200 6x24 mildot.

5. centershot

centershot Silver $$ Contributor

I have a BSA 4x air rifle scope. It works just fine!

6. charlesasmith

charlesasmith

Try the Hawke models, but do not go with their low end versions. Not expensive and the 1/2 mil-dot are great reticles for the drops at various ranges. They are made for pellet guns and have excellent customer service/return policy. I would not recommend them for centerfires when optical quality is paramount for distance shooting.

Chuck

TerryH and Ggmac like this.
  7. Ggmac

Ggmac

Bushnell 4200 will not stand up to the reverse recoil . They aren't made for it . Co2 no problem , springer problem !

8. Fast14riot

Fast14riot Silver $$ Contributor

Another vote for upper level Hawke scopes. The Endurance models are good, and the frontier as well.

TerryH and Ggmac like this.
  9. bouddha

bouddha

Nikon makes a dandy 3x9 EFR scope for air rifles...I got two, no problems so far (HW30S- R7).

Ggmac likes this.
  10. STOMP442

STOMP442 Silver $$ Contributor

Another vote for Hawke.

TerryH likes this.
  11. snert

snert Gold $$ Contributor

yep, those are the ones I was thinking of when i said "big wheel"...just could not recall the make

12. seymour fish

seymour fish

GG, have had one on for 15 yrs, plenty use, still perfect. Perhaps just lucky ?

13. Ggmac

Ggmac

A springer ? I'm curious cause I'd like to try .

14. JRS

JRS Silver $$ Contributor

Depends upon your use. For closeup work, go with UTG. All other distances, Hawke.

Dave T likes this.
  15. Outrider27

Outrider27 Gold $$ Contributor

In in

Either you have been lucky or I was unlucky. I wrecked a Leupold in 3 shots with an RWS side lever springer. My vote goes to the Hawke also.

16. 6_5_284

6_5_284

I HAVE SEVERAL "SPRINGERS", MOSTLY FWB 300'S. OLD EYES FINALLY CAUGHT UP WITH ME ABOUT 2 YEARS AGO AND, USING THE APERATURE SIGHTS IS VERY DIFFICULT. A FRIEND OF MINE OWNS A "GUN SHOP" AND HAD AN ARRAY OF VORTEX SCOPES ON THE SHELF. TRIED FOCUSING THE "CROSSFIRE 6-18X" DOWN TO UNDER 10 METERS (CAN ONLY GET 30-31 FEET IN THE GARAGE). THEY FOCUSED DOWN WITH NO PARALAX. EMAILED VORTEX AND ASKED IF THEY WOULD HOLD UP TO SPRINGER RECOIL; THE ANSWER WAS YES. BOUGHT 3 (HAVE 2 GRANDSONS SHOOTING) AND HAVE SHOT OVER 2000 PELLETS COMBINED WITH NO PROBLEMS). HOPE THIS MIGHT BE OF SOME HELP.

MrMajestic, js2013 and seymour fish like this.
  17. TRECustom

TRECustom

Good to know.
    Thanks, Tom

18. moorepower

moorepower

Make sure you get one that will focus down to 10 yards. I also vote Hawke for air guns.

19. seymour fish

seymour fish

6.5, that is excellent info. Thanks

20. bouddha

bouddha

Another new player in the airgun scope field...Aztec Emerald! 5.5-25x50 with a great reticle. I've got one on my R9n(16FPE) and I wish I had it years ago. Check it out at Airguns of Arizona.