Advise on a 22 Rimfire BR Rifle

Discussion in 'Rimfire & Smallbore' started by Terry, Aug 6, 2017.

1. Terry

Terry Gold $$ Contributor

I know nothing about 22 rimfire BR rifles.

Willing to learn.

Thanks!

Terry

2. moorepower

moorepower

$$$$$$$$$$

Peebles24, Topstrap and hpshooter like this.
  3. jpx2rk

jpx2rk

What's your budget?
    Any local club matches?
    The more info you provide, the better guidance you'll get

4. rinoray

rinoray Silver $$ Contributor

5. DOGCAPPER

DOGCAPPER

Go for custom action with Jewell trigger 1200
    Custom barrel Shilen makes top flight rimfire barrels 375
    Benchrest stock 500
    32 to 45 power scope 1000
    Barrel tuner 200
    Front rest 800
    Rear bag 130
    Case of BR ammo 2100

Good Luck Priceless

holstil and Trophy 2000 like this.
  6. 1911mag

1911mag Silver $$ Contributor

JMayo and Outrider27 like this.
  7. Richard Coody

Richard Coody Gold $$ Contributor

you need.to educate yourself. the advice to visit.some rimfire matches is a good idea. Get to know some of the better shooters. some of them may have.a used rifle they are willing to part with. starting out with a used rifle while you are.learning just makes.sense

Benchrest Central classifieds often has used rifles for resonable prices. you just.need to know what you are looking for.

USMCDOC likes this.
  8. USMCDOC

USMCDOC Silver $$ Contributor

Yes, visit some matches.. that is sage old good advice, see what is working.. i think that in the sport of 22lr BR, buy once cry once is pretty much the norm. But if you have a good shooting rifle that is consistent, then use it to learn how the game is played.. as soon as you can upgrade your equipment, do so..

As for buying use good equipment, that is partly how i upgraded. i got my Turbo X-III off of a shooter, It is a Miller built rifle with a Dan Muller barrel and a Bill Pippin stock. The Jewel trigger is coming off and i am going to put a Bix & Andy in it. I have been told that the money o spent on the rifle was a pretty darn good deal.

9. Beltfire

Beltfire

I shoot with benchrest .22 rifle, with an Anshutz 54. Sometimes a fellow comes by with a 10/22, always one with a .920 barrel. After they find out that last place isn't a lot of fun, they either get an 2nd hand Anshutz or a Remington 40x.

perry42 likes this.
  10. perry42

perry42 Silver $$ Contributor

I just acquired a BSA International with a barrel tuner. I do not compete, just enjoy accurate rifles. It shoots bettter than my MS 64 Anschutz. Be prepared to spend money on GOOD/PRECISION 22 ammo go to the range and enjoy shooting small groups. I have been acquiring more .22 rifles and now have a Win lo-wall, Anschutz MS-64 & 1413, and Rem 40x. This hobby is expensive as I now have to buy another scope.

perry42

Last edited: Dec 12, 2018 at 11:11 PM
    USMCDOC likes this.
  11. USMCDOC

USMCDOC Silver $$ Contributor

i have come to really enjoy the challenge of trying to hit those dots!

perry42 and hpshooter like this.
  12. seymour fish

seymour fish

Belt, The Paradigm has shifted. 10-22’s are shooting as high as 2450 ARA targets, and agging well, In registered matches.

13. Bigdog109

Bigdog109

Seymoer
    Joe Chacon has worked wonders with the 10/22 platform but day in and day out they still can't compete with the bolt guns a 2450 is a rare target for a 10/22 where as you see them quite regularly with a bolt gun.

14. group therapy

group therapy Silver $$ Contributor

I have a 64ms that I bought used for 750 with a leupold 6.5-20 on it. with sorted ammo (not high dollar stuff) it will shoot 1/4" at 50 yards pretty consistently. cheap enough and competitive on some level I think. never shot a br match with it but they are lots of fun and you can figure out what you want while getting practice (priceless) and when you don't need it anymore, they are easy to sell. just my experience and thoughts.

15. rkittine

rkittine Gold $$ Contributor

As suggested I went to some matches and bought a used Cooper TRP Benchrest model and am having fun learning to select ammo and work the tuner. A new Gordon Eck build is next.

Bob

USMCDOC likes this.
  16. Fotheringill

Fotheringill

Not as expensive as some inherently dangerous habits, but it is still very costly.

17. seymour fish

seymour fish

Big, I am glad you are aware of Joe’s raising of the bar. We share some common ground.

USMCDOC and Bigdog109 like this.
  18. Rem72043722

Rem72043722

Excellent advice! Get to a couple of matches and observe. Ask questions. If you ask, many shooters will allow you a few shots with their firearms. Try all you can. DON'T just run out and buy just to have something. Gauge your level of interest, your budget and shooting goals. Armed with that information, you can make an informed purchase. The advice to buy a used proven BR rifle to get started is good guidance. Good luck!

19. Outrider27

Outrider27 Gold $$ Contributor

Only one minor point for discussion - I'm quite happy with my $500 front rest. :) :)

20. Rem72043722

Rem72043722

The dollar value of the rest isn't always the most important factor. It really is what works for you and satisfies your needs and goals.