Adjustable Scope Bases/Rings for ELR

Discussion in 'ELR, Ballistics & Bullets Board' started by jbone405, Feb 11, 2018.

1. AlloyTargets

AlloyTargets Site $$ Sponsor

I just saw this post after we spoke, but in case others are interested...

Correct. These are fixed. The height is so the shooter can maintain the same posture/ head position when using any of the risers that i’m going to make. I envision (hope) some guys will have all of them and switch them out as required. I want the eye to be in about the same position with the zero as it will be with the 100. Draw it all out and they get pretty tall, zero being the tallest.

2. kthomas

kthomas

IMO, if you can afford it, the Charlie TARAC seems to be the best solution to the elevation problem.

Lots of ELR teams are going away from adjustable scope rings and high elevation mounts in favor of these units.

Repeatable, no ungodly high cheek wield, can swap between different rifles. They are coming out with a user adjustable unit as well, which has 4 (I believe it's 4) present elevations per the users specifications.

I have an adjustable unit coming, looking forward to getting my hands on it.

3. Alex Wheeler

Alex Wheeler Gold $$ Contributor

If anyone wants to know if their Charlie tarac is holding solid PM me.

4. XTR

XTR

Al Warner has one he's working on. I saw his second version in his shop the other day. Combined with the scope I think it can be use to get something like 400MOA. I'm not sure where he stands with development so I'm not going to talk about the design. Considering Al's history with manufacturing sights I'd trust his work not to have too many stacking issues. (I think that was the reason he changed from his original design)

5. Dusty Stevens

Dusty Stevens COVFEFE Gold $$ Contributor

i have used the ivey with good success. of course I know how to find potential movements so maybe i'm just lucky.

6. Clearlight

Clearlight

I’m curious to see a Taco on your tester ! As we all know Mr Wind
    makes valid testing of adjustment values very difficult at ELR .

7. Alex Wheeler

Someone needs to send me one so I can test it. I dont own one but Im curious if they are solid.

8. Desert Fox

Desert Fox

Murphy's precision made me a 70 MOA Picatinny Steel base for my Lawton 7500. Cost me $125.00. This will get my 338 Lapua Ackley to 2000 yards without touching my scope.

https://www.murphyprecision.com

9. kthomas

kthomas

Depending on when mine gets in (still in line to get built) and where I am at, I can send mine in for testing. I have the newer adjustable model on order, so I'm curious to see how solid it is.

Alex Wheeler likes this.
  10. DocUSMCRetired

DocUSMCRetired

What is the accuracy certification with your testing process?

11. Alex Wheeler

The reticle lines up to the frozen reticle after a shot is taken. If it doesnt, it moved, and is of no use to a precision shooter. The level of accuracy is what is detectable by the human eye. 1/16 moa or better. If it moves enough to actually see it, theres a problem.

12. DocUSMCRetired

DocUSMCRetired

Is this on a concrete mounted heavy rail gun? With a dual scope mount?

13. Alex Wheeler

No, the dual scopes negate the need for something like that. You can hold the gun upside down and the results wont be effected. 2 scopes aimed to the same point form a triangle that pivots at the target, as the frozen scope is always realigned to the aim point.

14. Alan Warner

Alan Warner

J Fogg, dmoran and JRS like this.
  15. JRS

JRS Gold $$ Contributor

16. DocUSMCRetired

DocUSMCRetired

If one of the scopes are no longer aligned, how do you know which one it is? What is the method used to verify which scope is the culprit?

17. Alex Wheeler

One is frozen. Locked solid. No adjustments.

18. DocUSMCRetired

DocUSMCRetired

Frozen with glue? Specifically machined in to a scope housing with no turrets or adjustments then fitted?

Mounted on a pic rail (which Spuhr did some pretty good testing on, and found lots of movement in many manufacturers rings)?

Just trying to asses the method that is used, to compare against the laboratory system that Deon has in place for reference.

19. Alex Wheeler

Yes, frozen mechanically. Set in pic rings. Every Kahles has passed with zero movement, while others display the same type of movement within the model. The test is proven. If you are not testing a scope under actual recoil mounted on a rifle your not doing a valid test in my book. You need the recoil pulse and concussion from the muzzle blast.

20. DocUSMCRetired

DocUSMCRetired

There is a more scientific/laboratory way of doing it. Which does account for varying levels of recoil. However I am not certain at this time if I can share the details of that equipment. I need to inquire first.

It removes the need for a second scope, and is not subject to mounted rings having the possibility to move. Especially on larger recoil impulses like .416 and up. Pretty clever system, and even maps the recoil impulse.