Action manufacturer?

Discussion in 'Main Message Board' started by dirtworks5, Apr 15, 2018.

1. dirtworks5

dirtworks5 Gold $$ Contributor

I am looking for any actions manufactured in Omaha Nebraska. It would be a single shot, right bolt, left port. Probably was from the 1980's or 90's. I am just looking for knowledge now as I have a stock that once had one of these actions in it.
    Thanks,
    Vern

2. Cochran

Cochran

Big Horn actions are made in Bennet Nebraska. Not far from Omaha

3. Delfuego

Delfuego Silver $$ Contributor

It's not Bighorn they have only been in NE for a couple years.

4. dirtworks5

I have researched the web and haven't had any luck. Thanks for the replies.
    Thanks,
    Vern

5. joshb

joshb Gold $$ Contributor

I thought it might be a Wichita but I looked them up and they're in Kansas.

6. Dusty Stevens

Dusty Stevens COVFEFE- Thread Derail Crew Gold $$ Contributor

Maybe the old wichita? May be a small br action builder. There were tons that only made 1-2 actions back then

7. quail farmer

quail farmer Gold $$ Contributor

RFD

RGRobinett likes this.
  8. Rtheurer

Rtheurer

This

9. Dusty Stevens

Dusty Stevens COVFEFE- Thread Derail Crew Gold $$ Contributor

I do remember rfd actions being made somewhere in NE before camp verde, az

10. quail farmer

quail farmer Gold $$ Contributor

Shot with Bob and Mel Estep at mill creek in the 80s.

11. RGRobinett

RGRobinett

Probably, as noted above, RFD, by Bob (Robert F.) Dodd, but possibly, Rosenthal, by Brad Rosenthal (sp?) which Bob helped design and [possibly] make prior to the RFD. I cannot recall the "name" of the Rosenthal action . . . hell, I could have made up Rosenthal - I'll check with pals who have real memories and get this corrected if necessary. :D RG

Last edited: Apr 17, 2018
    joshb likes this.
  12. dirtworks5

That makes sense that is was RFD. I had a RFD action once many moons ago. Forgot all about Bob.
    Thanks,
    Vern

13. jamesdmock

jamesdmock Gold $$ Contributor

I believe that the action to which you are referring is the Precision Rifle ....more commonly called a Rosenthal. It was made by Brad Rosenthal and Bob Dodd. It was a small action...about the size of an XP-100. It was a well-made action and I owned two of them back in the '90's. Allen Arnette still shoots his. Ian Owens of NZ owns one of the two that I once owned. Bobb Dodd moved to AZ and made the Dodd action that is very similar to the Rosenthal. Good shooting...James

14. RGRobinett

RGRobinett

Finding either a RFD, or, Rosentahl will probably require some searching and a little luck - relatively few of both were made, and generally, are excellent "shooters" with exceptional smoothness. I own one of, I believe, only three of the Bob's (RFD) XP-100 length actions: Ser# xxx3LVS. This action required some re-work, as the timing was never correct - it had a hellish amount (something well over 0.100"!) of cock-on-close. :(

Following the infamous, "RED HAMMER" incident, where, having conquered (worked around) the timing issue, the bolt-handle solder promptly gave up it's grip, I traded the RFD LVS based LV rifle to Al Nyhus, for a Borden Alpine action . . . and always though I got the best end of that deal. Under Al's control, the now retired Stan Ware - SGR Custom Rifles - worked his magic. ;) The result is a very nice, if modified RFD.:) When Al gave up BR and returned to racing Dragsters, he was kind enough to sell the RFD back to me . . . it'll stay here until I, "go belly up". RG

15. dirtworks5

James and Randy,
    You're both truly full of a wealth of wisdom. I wish I had not sold the RFD I once had.
    Thanks,
    Vern