Action life span

Discussion in 'Competition Forum (All Calibers)' started by Nude nut, Mar 20, 2017.

1. Nude nut

Nude nut

Hi,
    Just curious what would be the life span of a action used in comp shooting we send a lot of lead down range every year surely they cant last forever there is alot going on every time we pull the trigger.

Cheers Trev.

2. dmoran

dmoran Site $$ Contributor

For myself: replace the firing pin spring every couple years. A trigger tune-up every now and then. Possibly a firing pin or two, and same for extractor. Other then those items, plan on shooting them the rest of my life.
    Donovan

Last edited: Mar 20, 2017
  3. Nude nut

Nude nut

Thanks for your reply I should of asked before I started building another rifle to spread the work load oh well another toy to play with.
    I just started adding up my round count 5000 a year +/- thats 20000 in another 3 years I was sort of shocked thats what got me thinking.

Cheers Trev.

4. R.Morehouse

R.Morehouse Site $$ Contributor

My 6ppc action is a Bat serial # S-7. It has been used a whole lot and is old enough that Bat has no records if it....Said the old man most likely made it in his kitchen...;)

5. dragman

dragman Site $$ Contributor

Like that #26 M that we have both owned Rick! some oldies but goodies!!! Now life span in my ownership that is 6 months if it's lucky!!!

LRPV likes this.
  6. R.Morehouse

R.Morehouse Site $$ Contributor

Those old Bats sure run nice....

dragman likes this.
  7. Alex Wheeler

Alex Wheeler Site $$ Contributor

Actions dont really wear if maintained. I dont know that I have ever heard of a "worn out" action. So long as you don't abuse or damage one, I would say about 1000 years.

8. damoncali

damoncali Site $$ Contributor

I don't know that there are too many people who can afford to wear out an action.

LarryDScott and dmoran like this.
  9. Immike

Immike Site $$ Contributor

I'm shooting a 4 digit rem 40x with a replacement bolt on my 22br. Still works great!

10. ballisticdaddy

ballisticdaddy

On any of the steel actions I would not believe there is any concern as to wearing them out.....but I do wonder about a few of the aluminum actions?

11. Toby Bradshaw

Toby Bradshaw Site $$ Contributor

If you're talking about aluminum-bodied actions like Kelbly's Panda, there are steel inserts for the barrel threads and primary extraction cam. One of our local shooters has put 30+ barrels on his Panda (30K-60K rounds), and it still has the same action face to boltface dimension as when new.

You can see the barrel thread insert here:

upload_2017-3-20_18-20-52.jpeg

Pappy42 and comagutsa like this.
  12. ballisticdaddy

ballisticdaddy

Understood but I do know from experience that steel being worn against aluminum will cause galling especially over a long period of time, the bolt and bolt face are all steel and should not show much signs of wear but what about the bolt raceway?

13. 280man

280man Site $$ Contributor

Properly maintained a Panda will last you a lifetime.

14. Shynloco

Shynloco You can lead a horse to water, but ........ Site $$ Contributor

AMEN!

15. Nude nut

Nude nut

Ita a stiller viper ss after thinking more about it all I guess all the boom bang is in the chamber but its good to know that it will last me out.

Cheers Trev.

16. Don

Don Site $$ Contributor

Pre War Model 70 1000 yard Prone Rifle. still cleans a Target Evey non and then :rolleyes:

Kreiger Barrel and Canjar trigger Master Class Stock

17. Eternal Student

Eternal Student

18. dkhunt14

dkhunt14

The lugs don't hardly touch the raceway. It is all steel where the bolt locks up. They use a threaded steel insert glued in. The contact points are all like a regular action. Matt

19. expiper

expiper

worrying about the lugs wearing out a Panda action during cycling,,,is like worrying if you will wear one out by rubbing it on the leg of your pants while carrying it back and forth to the line !!!...roger

Dgd6mm, dmoran and Don like this.
  20. 6fatrat

6fatrat Site $$ Contributor

Post 68 Win. model 70, used as a XTC match rifle from 81 to apx. 93. Each year 3000+/- live fire times 10 dry fire, feed ramp and raceways have worn to the point it is retired.
    Steve Bair