a possum story, MPD style

Discussion in 'Varminter & Hunting Forum' started by blackwidowp61, Mar 19, 2019.

1. blackwidowp61

blackwidowp61

Madison, WI Police Department
    Incident Report for Case #2019-92716
    Incident Type
    Animal Complaint - Disturbance
    Incident Date
    03/12/2019 - 7:16 AM
    Address
    Oconto Court

Details
    He was just another jack out on a nocturnal food savaging expedition. It was around 5:00 a.m., about time to call it a night, when he made the mistake of ascending a wooden privacy fence on Oconto Court. The next couple of hours surely felt painfully long. Around 7:15 a.m., a concerned human called the MPD to let us know an opossum must be sick or injured as it seemed to be stuck and not moving from atop the slatted backyard fence. An officer arrived to find some blood, and she could tell one of the only marsupials to be found naturally in North America was not moving well, if at all. Realizing she might need backup, she summoned her sergeant, who arrived with a catchpole. Using the device the first responders were able to lift the animal up a bit and quickly determined a couple of pieces of his male anatomy had become wedged between fence slats. What to do? The sergeant suggested the officer gently hoist the omnivore up as high as she could with the catchpole while he tried to spread and loosen the slats a bit. Bingo, it worked, and they were able to successfully free the animal from its compromising position. The jack (what a male opossum is called) went to the ground and initially seemed to be dead. Was he playing possum, trying to trick the MPD into believing this unthinkable ordeal had proven fatal? A couple of pokes with the pole, and it turned out he was still with the living. He hissed a bit at the sergeant and at the officer; his way most likely of saying "thanks" for the assist. The opossum slowly waddled off. "Going to be sitting in snow someplace for a long bit I bet you," remarked the sergeant to the officer.

(Couldn't help myself, just had to post this!)

foxguy and MrMajestic like this.
  2. rebel

rebel Gold $$ Contributor

Ouch!

3. biggen0_8

biggen0_8 Gold $$ Contributor

I'd a shot the ugly little bugger and threw him in the field. "Buzzards gotta eat, same as the worms."

Rube Shooter and hpshooter like this.
  4. pirate ammo

pirate ammo Guaranteed to take the wind out of their sails Gold $$ Contributor

this could have really happened, or maybe it did,,possums look like giant rats on the run.

5. blackwidowp61

blackwidowp61

foxguy likes this.
  6. John from MN

John from MN

You mean a fella can just let them go? I've been doing it wrong.