A new rifle build

Discussion in 'Main Message Board' started by Link, Aug 10, 2018.

1. Link

Link Silver $$ Contributor

Suggestions for having a new rifle built if you have limited skill like myself. After your smith chambers your barrel have him setup your sizing die [some are to tight, some to loose], have him make sure your case neck thickness is right, get the right neck bushing. Make sure your firing pin is bushed correctly and has the right fall.
    Feel free to add your thoughts.
    Don

2. Ledd Slinger

Ledd Slinger Gold $$ Contributor

-Make sure there's plenty of toilet paper before going to the head.
    -Don't pee into the wind.
    -Don't eat the yellow snow.
    -And don't try to win and argument with your wife.

1911mag, mtang45, 370bc and 6 others like this.
  3. Link

Link Silver $$ Contributor

Thanks for your intelligent reply. I'm sure those pointers will help those of us that are less educated on a good build than you. ;]

4. ballisticdaddy

ballisticdaddy Silver $$ Contributor

The smiths that I use just about always ask for a loaded dummy round to ensure the chamber is cut properly to accommodate the brass, dies and bullets you plan to utilize.

hpshooter likes this.
  5. JRS

JRS Gold $$ Contributor

I supply all of the parts and pieces, including the reamer, to the gunsmith I rely on. He provides the craftsmanship and expertise to make it work. As for the sizing and seating dies, that's my responsibility.

DBLNUT, msinc, joshb and 1 other person like this.
  6. RampedRaptor

RampedRaptor Silver $$ Contributor

Have your Smith make your dies.

7. SPJ

SPJ Silver $$ Contributor

I would recommend you find a rifle smith that builds what you have in mind, write a check then get out of the way.
    Jim

Link, Drop Port, Don and 1 other person like this.
  8. Don

Don Gold $$ Contributor

A good Smith will help and ask you Questions . He should tell you your heading in the wrong direction.

If you have the time and Money ? if you what the Best of the Best .Action work barrel installed Dies made etc . Warner Tool ……

If you want Barrel fitted and Action Tuned a Good chamber cut. Accuracy Unlimited Medford WI.
    Then buy a set of Bushing Dies and go .

Or for a 3 choice John Widden his shop can do every thing and the dies.

It comes down to the Money :eek:

Link likes this.
  9. Don

Don Gold $$ Contributor

Jim , right on. 14 months and No dasher yet ??

370bc likes this.
  10. SPJ

Don
    That is rough 14 months ouch"
    Dashers are obsolete now!
    Jim
    Addendum- Bummer :(

370bc and Don like this.
  11. Don

Don Gold $$ Contributor

Now I am felling so so Low :( Then what the :rolleyes:

370bc likes this.
  12. SPJ

It's only money:cool:
    I went out to the flower bed to dig up my stash jar of cash and the SOB was empty! WTH- then I noticed my wife looking out the kitchen window smiling at me !!:(
    J

joshb, Bc'z and Don like this.
  13. BoydAllen

BoydAllen

Seriously? My suggestion to the OP is that he buy a few measuring tools and learn how to use them. None of us is born knowing this stuff, but it is not beyond anyone's reach. If you need help with any of the details that you mentioned, there are plenty of us who would be glad to bring you up to speed.

14. SPJ

Your absolutely right Boyd
    1-Buy good tools
    2- learn to use them
    3- ask questions
    4- remember good gunsmiths don't need your' advice they give advice
    5- have the funds- no bucks no buck Rogers
    6- be patient
    Sorry for moving off topic
    J

15. 357Mag

357Mag

LINK -

Howdy!

IMHO -
    You pick the rifle's components, using the 'Smith's input if you can't decide for yourself.
    Yeh...... " accuracy costs $$$...... how accurate do you want to be ?"

If you were doing a "wildcat ", you would fer sher be providing the 'Smith w/ dummy cartridges for use in cutting the chamber. I have typically been asked to provide 3ea empty cases, and 3ea bulleted cases w/ bullet of preference seated to my desired spec.

Let's talk about doing more than just a barrel swap on another wise stock rifle....

If you don't do a lot of self-help on these projects, but want to do some, shooters often defer the metal work to their 'Smith; and then perhaps do the stock themselves. Fred Sinclair once told me great riflesmiths are first & foremost great machinists. To this day, I continue to consider 'Smiths for their machining skills, especially as regards chamber cutting, barrel threading, headspacing; et al . Not everybody has the skills, space, and $$$ to have their own machining capabilities; nicht var ?

Choice B features even more specialized input on the build, where stock work is passed on to a dedicated " stocker ", be that for great wood work, trick paint; or ..... ?

As regards dies:
    IMHO you should be able to obtain suitable off-the-shelf dies for a factory chambering.
    Be thorough in your research of potential vendor' die spec's, and get what you really want.

If wildcatting.. it's the wild west. There's a whole variety of ways to address wildcat dies. What is needed die wise is then driven by demands of the wildcat case' configuration and perhaps higher tolerance dimensions, case forming requirements; maybe even a need to address intended use of highly-specialized bullets.

There's fun to be had @ all levels of individual involvement on these builds !

With regards,
    357Mag

Link and SPJ like this.
  16. joshb

joshb Gold $$ Contributor

I do some research on what I want to build. I pick a barrel in my desired profile with the right twist for the heaviest bullet I want to shoot and have it sent directly to my smith. I send him my action and a dummy round. I call him and tell him what I’d like to do with the gun. He looks it over and usually calls me, offers his advice (without calling me an idiot:rolleyes:) ,I say “OK” and he works his magic.:) I listen to his advice because he knows WAY more than I do.:D

17. msinc

msinc

This is good advice, but in all fairness to the OP...... the only problem I can see would be this: picture the guy getting everything he needs and he is gradually getting a good handle on starting to understand the basic fundamentals of measuring things out and getting set up to do some serious accuracy work......then it happens....he gets hooked up with Guffey. In a very short time he sells everyting he owns gun wise and takes up golf. Why golf?????....you ask....because there is no shoulder that cannot be moved on a golf ball, club or cart!!!! and "headspace" has to do with how much scotch you drink after the game.

hogpatrol, joshb and 370bc like this.
  18. 370bc

370bc

Im on my second factory re barrel job now. My first was a re barrel for a light bullet that would reach the lands with my reloads. After waiting a ridicules long time, I got the new barrel, but the throat was 100 miles away from the 55 grain 6mm bullet I told him I was loading for. He did not request any dummy rounds. i was too inexperienced to know any different.
    My 2nd and current re barrel (On a different action), is at Pac-Nor right now. I didn't want to spend the extra $$ or the time after being bitten so badly by my local smith for a top end smith. Im sure they are worth it, but Im only blasting coyotes at 500 yards & under with my future 6-284 and not competing.
    It seems like all of this is just growing pains. I learned just the other day that they had to turn the factory barrel into a tomato stake because they could not remove the barrel by normal methods. So are the fortunes of war!

msinc likes this.
  19. msinc

msinc

This is a good thread topic, so I guess I should get serious.....as above, when I build a new rifle I find it generally revolves around the bullet I want to shoot. I have my personal peeves, such as no "carbine" barrels {anything shorter than 26"}...but really I decide what I want to shoot, then pick the bullet or bullets I am most likely to use and build the rifle around that. I see a lot of guys pick a brand of custom barrel or a particular action first and that's okay I guess, but then they sometimes don't get the rifle that best suits them.
    I can tell you one thing I have done repeatedly that I feel like is a mistake, even though the rifles all turned out to be great shooters in the end. I start out in need of a "truck gun" or in my case really a John Deere Gator gun. One that I can throw in the Gator and bounce around with me when I run my dogs or am out riding around the property....you know, a cost effective rifle that will shoot good enough to kill a feral cat or woodchuck, but one that you don't care if it gets a scratch. Seldom do these rifles shoot good enough and they always have a factory barrel that looks like they pre-rust pitted it before they shipped it out. So the Ruger American gets a custom barrel, the tupperware stock is junk so next it gets a Boyd's stock. Why the factory bothers to provide an "adjustable" trigger that will go from 14 all the way down to 12 pounds is beyond me, so it gets a Timney......at the end of the day I do the math and could have had a Sako. Cost effective.....yeah.

Last edited: Aug 14, 2018
    McGraw and 370bc like this.
  20. hogpatrol

hogpatrol Gold $$ Contributor

Define the mission. Make the ammo, build the rifle to suit, i.e. tell your smith what you want to do with it.

joshb likes this.