A MAX vs VMAX for coyote

Discussion in 'Varminter & Hunting Forum' started by SSL, Oct 10, 2017.

1. SSL

SSL

Does anyone have any actual experience using either bullet on coyotes? My .22/250 has a definite preference for the AMAX 52-grain bullets, but the VMAX shoot pretty well. It's 1:14 twist causes accuracy to degrade as weight approaches 55 grains. My biggest concern is excessive pelt damage.

Thanks!

2. Yote Hunter

Yote Hunter

The 52 gr AMAX in a 22-250 performed very well for me on coyotes. The 55 gr Sierra Gamekings were very undependable for me. The 75 gr AMAX in a 9 twist savage hammered coyotes very very effectively. All the amaxes in any caliber worked very well for game.

3. SSL

SSL

Thanks for the reply. I use the .22/250 on fairly calm days out to 350-400 yards and .243 with 80-grain Noslers for windy days or longer distances.

4. AckleymanII

AckleymanII Gold $$ Contributor

use the 55g Hornady spt with the cannalure, accurate, tough, easy on hides...low tec. If you are hell bent on using a plastic tip, the 55g Nosler bt is a LOt TOUGHER THAN THE A OR V Max bullets...this comes in handy when you have to shoot them running away from you...penetration vs rapid expansion. 55 Hornady and Nosler will not blow up on larger hip joints either. 55g Sierra game kings of all types work extremely well.

I don't like bullets that blow up on hips, shoulders, and larger coyote ribs...confidence in your bullet is KING!

Of the 55's, the Sierra 55g bthp and the Hornady 55g spt are the toughest. By looking at the size of the hp in the sierra, you would think that it would have massive fast expansion, but the opposite is true. Don't turn your nose up at the 55g Hornady sp with the cannalure, they will shoot tiny, tiny groups and ogive lengths are very consistent.

We hunted Mexico and high density populations in Az, Nm. We tried every bullet on the market just for giggles and grins.

In the 22/250, for small holes with good killing power, you should put the Sierra 52g and 53g at the top of your list.

Good luck

brians356 likes this.
  5. SSL

SSL

Will have to try the Sierras. The Hornady 55-grain bullets have always shot well for me in other .22/250 rifles as well as several .220 Swifts, but this rifle (Ruger #1B) starts opening groups when bullets get above 52 grains...as in double the size groups with 52-grain bullets.

6. boltfluter

boltfluter Gold $$ Contributor

Over the years I had the best luck with the 40 gr V-max pushed at about 3900 fps. Bang flow. But, bullet placement is critical. Broadside, on the shoulder or behind was great. Straight on, if centered correctly, guaranteed no exit. Worst shot to take was the animal quartering towards you and hitting the shoulder or behind the shoulder- splashes and tears the hide. Finally figured out the trick for the forward quartering shot. Place the bullet precisely between the neck and shoulder angling into the chest. If done correctly you will have no exit. Good luck and shoot straight.:D:D

Paul

www.proprecisionrifles.com

JLT likes this.
  7. nakneker

nakneker Gold $$ Contributor

I've used both Vmax and Amax in various weights, either one will hammer a yote. I'd use whatever your rifle likes the best.

boltfluter likes this.
  8. JLT

JLT Gold $$ Contributor

I'll second boltfluter's recommendation - the 40 grain VMax at high velocity will usually spend it all inside a coyote. I'll toss one more into the mix - the Hornady 50 grain SPSX is similar in performance. Load it up to the limit of its structural integrity in your barrel (with a 1:14 it should be between 3,500 and 3,600 fps) and exit wounds are highly unlikely at reasonable ranges. They shoot very well, too. I shoot the SPSX out of several .223s and they come apart in a hurry at 3,300 fps.

In the interest of full disclosure, I don't care about pelt damage. The farmers around me just want the darned things gone. I regularly use both bullets mentioned, more for their ability to speak with authority on the receiving end.

9. SSL

SSL

I have used hundreds of the 50-grain SX bullets in .223 rifles and my XP100 over the years with great results. Never considered them for .22/250 due to their speed limitations. May have to rethink that.
    When this barrel finally gets shot out (No sign yet) I will rebarrel it with a faster twist (1:7.5 or 1:8) to give me better weight options. Maybe AI too.
    Thanks to everyone for all the advice.

10. John Russell

John Russell

I have had the Hornady .224" SX bullets fail in mid air on the way to the target at 3,550 fps from a 14" twist, 222 Mag. I finely gave up on them. I could never get theme to stay together in a 22-250.

The jacket would either split along a rifling edge and leak lead "spray" in a comet tail, or the jacket would completely fail and the bullet would hit sideways.

These are @ 100 yds.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

11. AckleymanII

AckleymanII Gold $$ Contributor

Hunting coyotes means shooting them on the move a lot of times, quartering shots where the bullet has to go through 10" of bone and guts is where the 55's pay off big time.

About 20-30% of the coyotes may not even slow down till they stick their nose to the call if the wind is not blowing in their face.

Shooting them when they are running away, breaking hips, leg bones and getting to main artery going to kidneys is good planning.

Also, the 40's seem to have a lot less hydrostatic shock when shot in the stomach at ranges past 250-275 yards. It was not uncommon for us to kill 4-7 on a stand when calling in Mexico, multiples laying on the ground with a couple trying to hobble off is not something you forget(40's are less forgiving when hits are behind the diaphragm). Shooting coyotes on the walk or slow trot is hunting, which means that your hits are all over the body as coyotes move. We lost a lot of animals till we started shooting them on the move, and confidence in your outfit that has come from range time is everything.

If you are a die hard 40g fan, the nosler ballistic tip is a good choice, and so is the sierra 45g high velocity spt.

If you are a die hard coyote hunter, I hope you can treat yourself to a 12 twist, 22/250 AI with zero freebore one day and shoot bug holes with Varget or Win 760 with 55g Sierra #1365 or 55g Nosler ballistic tips at 4050 fps...bug holes. 1" groups and LESS at 300 yards with hunting sporter rifles is common. With this combo, you can hit them in the back of the stomach and they will be laying right where they landed when they hit the ground. We sight in our rifles at 200 yards and aim at the top of their backs to about 325, which is a long shot.

The 60g berger at 3700 fps in this case will just about blow a coyote in half, shoots bug holes.

Everybody has got to do their own thing, but in our state, one pair of coyotes brought 22 dead fawns to the den for the pups as reported by the fish and game that set up cameras outside the den. In one state where they had professional County hunter/trappers for coyotes, their goal was to reduce the coyote population by 75% each year to keep the population on level numbers...nature adapts! So, get out there and kill some coyotes.

12. SSL

SSL

I saw that famous vapor trail back in the 70s using SX put of a .220 Swift, which is why I never tried them in .22/250.
    Can't say I am a dedicated coyote hunter, but I am frustrated with the numbers of them in our area. They are so bold that 5 or 6 will challenge me from across the road many evenings when I take my dogs out. Unfortunately they have been educated by road hunters to stay out in the fields about 400 or more yards in daylight. By the time I see them and get across the road for a legal shot, they have punched a hole in the horizon. There is a creek across from me about 200 yards out that I plan to make a stand for after the snow flies. The field extends another 600 yards past the creek, so much of my hunting will be with my .243, especially since the wind seldom stops blowing around here. .22/250 could come in handy on low visibility days when likely shots are closer and would be a better option than my .17 Remington.

Last edited: Oct 11, 2017
  13. brians356

brians356 Gold $$ Contributor

I agree with several here that 40 V-Max is explosive inside the body cavity and seldom exits. But I wouldn't want to have to pop a coyotes in the ass running away from me with a V-max. The 40 BT is a better all-round bullet for a lightweight, will penetrate meat and bone better. I shoot 40 BT in 223 and 40 V-max in 222.
    -

14. lacajun

lacajun

223 69g SMK