85 Berger Hybrids... any reports from SWN?

Discussion in 'Small Stuff--22s, 20s, and 17s' started by markgrabowski, Feb 13, 2020.

1. markgrabowski

markgrabowski

I understand there were a few people trying these new 85’s at Southwest Nationals. Curious how they performed, particularly holding elevation and if flyers were observed...
    Thanks!

2. raptor1ronin

raptor1ronin Silver $$ Contributor

I used them along with a few others. It wasn't the right choice for 12-17 mph heads winds lol. however they held up quite nice with fantastic elevation. I also tested with them the week before to check loads.

Attached Files:

3. Ned Ludd

Ned Ludd Gold $$ Contributor

Wind or no, you shot really well at SWNs this year John, congrats! I know a couple of shooters that loaded up their .223s in anticipation of shooting the MR match. However, when they saw the conditions that day, they wisely pulled out their .308s instead. Didn't you get the strong wind report email that went out to all the F-TR shooters, John? ;). Both ended up shooting their .223s in a LR match on Saturday. I believe both were using 90 VLDs though, not the 85.5s.

raptor1ronin likes this.
  4. markgrabowski

markgrabowski

John, that’s very nice elevation!
    Did you shoot any of these at 1000?

5. raptor1ronin

None at 1K. I shot 90vlds for a year and while they shoot great I just didn’t like losing points to elevation especially when there is wind swirls. I only shoot my .308 at 1k now.

6. raptor1ronin

Thanks Greg. For some reason I didn’t get that wind report lol. Or I was to lazy to grab my .308. It was fun to say the least. Next year I’ll have both.

Ned Ludd likes this.
  7. Boisblancboy

Boisblancboy

Who shot LR with .223’s this year?

8. raptor1ronin

I scored a gentleman who shot one relay with the 90VLD. James Carver. Think he had a 184. Elevation becomes a issue with most .223 at 1k on a f class target.

Boisblancboy likes this.
  9. Ned Ludd

Ned Ludd Gold $$ Contributor

In addition to James, Brian Sadler was the other individual I know that used a .223 Rem/90 VLDs. I believe Bryan used his in the first match on Saturday, in which he scored 193-5X.

In relatively mild wind conditions (i.e. zero to no more than 5-7 mph), I've never really noticed a big issue with vertical at 1000 yd using the .223 Rem with 90 VLDs, at least not noticeably more than with a typical .308 185 Juggernaut load with comparable ballistics to the 90s. I have always found that a little bit surprising given that my ES values with the .223 Rem are usually half again to almost twice as high as my best .308 loads.

The one thing I definitely have noticed is that the 90s aren't nearly as forgiving as a good 200.20X load when the wind picks up. Then again, I would never seriously consider switching back to 185 Juggernauts for 1000 yd matches after shooting the 200.20Xs, and the ballistics of the .223 rem with 90 VLDs at 1000 yd are very close to those of a typical 185 Juggernaut load. The bottom line is that you need a bit of luck and fairly mild conditions to shoot well with the .223 Rem and heavies at 1000 yd.

10. markgrabowski

markgrabowski

Appreciate the feedback. I bought a batch to tryout in my Son’s 223 Palma rifle. Will test them once weather breaks