80 Berger verses Sierra 75

Discussion in 'Varminter & Hunting Forum' started by urbanrifleman, Sep 15, 2019.

1. urbanrifleman

urbanrifleman Site $$ Sponsor

Nothing I test in 8 twist 6br will shoot like the 80 Berger. Do they blow up on pdogs?

Any experience with the 75 Sierra. I like the flat back for the longer freebore.

2. Hotshot

Hotshot Gold $$ Contributor

No the Bergers don't blow up on a pd. Neither do the Sierra but I have seen good accuracy in 9 twist 220 swift.
    When shooting long range you need to figure out how to hit them first grade the hits second.

3. urbanrifleman

I think you thought I meant 22 bullets. These are 6mm bullets.

4. 6MMsteve

6MMsteve Gold $$ Contributor

stick with the 80 bergs easy peasy I think

5. 6MMsteve

my 6xc loves 90 BT berg

6. urbanrifleman

Do they explode?

7. Coleridge

Coleridge Silver $$ Contributor

In my experience, the 75 Sierra is a LOT softer than the 80 Berger. It's pretty explosive at high speeds and still opens pretty well on the (reasonably) lower end too. However, it has a terrible BC, but inside 300 yards works great. The 80gr Berger needs right much "meat" to open much, but is likely the easiest bullet to get to shoot made.

hoene72 likes this.
  8. fantastic

fantastic

I have some rifles I shoot Bergers in because I'm willing to pay the extra for better performance in those rifles. However I also use a lot of Hornadys because they seem to shoot as well in a couple of my rifles for about half the price. Basicly bench rifles get Bergers, everything else gets Hornady or Barnes.

9. AckleymanII

AckleymanII Silver $$ Contributor

Suburban, 80g berg is a real downer as dogs just fall over....bummer. 70g Sierra blitz king and 75g V max will make your day IF barrel likes them. I shoot twelve twists starting with minimal freebore.

I want to see dogs fly twelve feet, becoming performance acrobatics in the process!

Velocity is key, and the six br is a tad on the light side, next time, try a brx...you will fall in love! 80's don't work well in a brx either. 69g berger is on par with a 70g nosler ballistic tip in blow ups, and the 70g Blitz kings tops them all.

If you have the throat and twist, the 55g Blitz king is in a relm of it's own. 55g Nosler 6mm has a better bc than the 22 caliber counter part...think 220 Swift performance!!!!

H335 and AA2230 will save your barrel in spades compared to H322 or variants.

Hint: buy used Heavy Varmint benchrest take offs and re chamber, 6000-8000 rounds later, you will still be thankful for H335 and AA2230!

Last edited: Sep 15, 2019
    mikeinct likes this.
  10. 6MMsteve

don't those TNT speer explode on pd

MQ1 and Mark W like this.
  11. 10at6

10at6 Silver $$ Contributor

12. AckleymanII

70g TNT was on par with 69g berger and 70g Nosler ballistic tips, very very accurate. So accurate, I sold my 6mm bullet making dies!

370bc, MQ1 and Mark W like this.
  13. urbanrifleman

Not in a fast twist. They shoot great in a slow twist but shoot way worse in the 8 twist.

I am still testing the 70 tnt and 70 varmegeddon for the 8 twist 6bra but they don't shoot anything like the Berger 80. I'm going to try jamming them and see if they improve but I get so many fliers. It's like two in and one out wide groups.

14. jbarnwell

jbarnwell Silver $$ Contributor

My first 6br had an 8 twist Hart barrel and shot the 75 Sierra very well. Seemed to do good damage on small critters, but never tested it on PD's.

15. urbanrifleman

The plan for the next trip is to fire form 6br to 6bra while shooting dogs. The plan is to use AR COMP and Lt 32 only for a while. I am using a Rock Creek 1-8 with 104 freebore and Tubb brake.

The local store has 75 sierras in stock so I'm going to see how they shoot in the 8 twist.

16. urbanrifleman

Testing Sierra 75 HP against the Berger 80 this weekend. If I see good results I'll post it.

17. urbanrifleman

I seated up some Sierra 75 HP and they measured out right there with the Berger. Overall length to the ogive varied by about half a thou, way better than the TNT and Varmegeddon. I was impressed.

Really liked the shape. Very traditional fat round nose and long bearing surface appears to be ideal for the 104 freebore 6Bra. How did this bullet not get more attention? It looks really good

Last edited: Sep 20, 2019
  18. 1lnbrdg

1lnbrdg

I understand if the 70gr TNT didn't shoot in your rifle but seem to work just fine in my 1/7 twist. As a blanket statement that they dont shoot in fast twist barrels, not necessarily true.

19. urbanrifleman

It shoots OK. Nothing to write home about. Shot amazing in the slow twist. We have tested the Speer TNTs in multiple rifles. They are good bulk bullets, but not at the level of a Berger for consistency.

20. AckleymanII

I have had the suspicion that the base may cave in from rotational torque in fast twists...unless you slow them down.

If I had a good BRA reamer, I would be like a blood hound on a lion's trail looking for a good used Benchrest barrel in 24" Heavy varmint in a 13-14T. Cut the threads off, chamber, rock on!