7mm to go to 2 miles

Discussion in 'ELR, Ballistics & Bullets Board' started by 7mmmag, Jan 24, 2018.

1. 7mmmag

7mmmag

I guess , I am bored right now and wanting another project to try and will probably just head in different direction . I do have a 7 Rem Mag set up to shoot as far as I can shoot around my area but spring where crop fields are bare . Thanks

2. 284winner

284winner Silver $$ Contributor

The 7 mag is a fine long range cartridge ( One of the best ballistics for bullet weight out there). It's just not a fine ELR cartridge. Bullet weight is the main thing that disqualifies the 7mm as an ELR cartridge. I love the ballistics and performance of the .284 caliber cartridges but you must know it's limitations. Making the range isn't the problem, making it on target is and tougher yet again is, seeing the misses to put it on the target.

LA50SHOOTER likes this.
  3. Nobody

Nobody

I keep it super sonic. Trying to make hits that far through transonic is truly the masters ELR kind of task. You will probably waste many, many rounds before you get an impact, and just as many or more before you get another. Does your ballistic solver do 6pts of wind over that 2mi? Talk about wind guessing! If you can get impacts that are anything more than random with a sub .7 BC, 6 sec flight time, over 3,500yds you should have your own TV show...for sure! I'd watch it.

4. Nobody

Nobody

Even in a light breeze your looking at almost 4 mils of hold @ 3,500 yds! 117 FEET of windage. You're going to need to set up about 300 flags and multiple aiming targets every ten feet up to 150 or so to the left and the right of the target...if you want to have any chance. This is all assuming that the load does not defecate in it's sleeping area when it goes transonic.

I wonder what 5fps of SD equals @ 3,500yds? Hundreds of inches?

Titan likes this.
  5. 284winner

I like the sound 2000 yards much more for the 7 mm calibers. Yes that's over a mile. Once you reach about 1400-1500 yards things get crazy beyond that. Everything is magnified it seems by 2. Just pushing from 1500 to that one mile mark is monumental with any gun. Not for the fact that the gun can make the range but for the shooter that thinks it's only 260 yards more !!! Earlier said things get compounded every hundred yards it seems in terms of environmental elements having an impact on your bullet. Then going the next 200 + yards to that 2000 yards mark. Knowing how much if an effect these elements have on a bullet from your gun at those ranges beyond 1000 yards is crucial to the shooter. The only way you'll know is to log hours on your mat shooting from 1000-2000 yards in all conditions. Yes you will go thru a barrel or two before all the homework is complete. Once all your work is done, you'll have a better grasp of the task at hand and still scratch your head, only a whole lot less.

6. 7mmmag

7mmmag

Yes I know it would be a logistic nightmare and like you say SD , 5 mph wind shift puts a big wrench into the equation that being said it would be fun to try something like this. Does all of the big 375's and 416's go subsonic too , I now thats twice the bullet so bullet impacts will be visible .

The time on the mat is something I wouldn't have enough time for and here it will be a stretch to get place to shoot that far , but I find it to be fun sport . Thanks Jason

7. 284winner

There are a few great cartridges for the task. The 338 lapua or variant seems to be a very popular choice for that ELR venue. Starting out at around 2800-3000 fps with a 300 grain projectile with a .8 BC has a very impressive and positive element to making this 2 mile event a success. The 1000-2000 yards is a chip shot for the little dump truck case full of powder behind a 300 grain missile like a Berger or Sierra projectile. Not that any 375 or larger cartridge wouldn't fit the bill, the 338 has great success in these type events and competitions.

8. Iowa Fox

Iowa Fox

Jason, Did you get a chance to look at some of the adjustable scope bases the guys were using in Wyoming. Will take one for sure.

9. cmillard

cmillard

I would go for it. I would do a fast twist barrel in 7 WSM and launch the latest heaviest (longest) projectile. There is no reason no to try it. It definitely won’t happen if you don’t try.

284winner likes this.
  10. 7mmmag

7mmmag

Yes I saw some of those bases . I am going to shoot as far as I can when it warms up , I can get over 2 mi so when dirt dries up I will see what I can do ! My shooting position will be elevated 138 feet above target . Like Mr. Millard said whats it going to hurt to try , I am sure many of us always look for reasons to shoot anyway !!!

284winner and cmillard like this.
  11. Tempest

Tempest

We did 2,000 yards last summer with a .338. Just as above, I used a good hand load with 300g Berger around 2,800 FPS @ 80F and hitting a silhoutte at 2,000 was really not that difficult (if you are prepared with data on your load and good conditions). That being said, I think a 7mm Mag would have been a whole lot more difficult not to mention 2 miles.

284winner likes this.
  12. 284winner

Correct. The 7 mag would be more difficult BUT in ideal conditions much easier than when it's gassing and switch winds are going on between shooter and target. It has so much less effect on those 300 grainers than 180s or 195s and those are fairly heavy bullets as well. 2k is very doable with many of the 7mm cartridges but range time will help a ton.

13. pirate ammo

pirate ammo Silver $$ Contributor

I have a hard time seeing 200 yards nevermind 2 miles,,say what