7mm STW VS 7mm Ultra mag

Discussion in 'Big Stuff--7mm, 30 Cal, .338+' started by 7mmmag, Dec 22, 2013.

1. 7mmmag

7mmmag

I have a Krieger 1-8.5 twist . I was wondering about accuracy, I have heard 7 STW is more accurate and not far behind in velocity any suggestions . I shoot the old trusty 7mm rem mag and should stay with it but looking for something more.

2. 6fatrat

6fatrat SLING SHOOTER Silver $$ Contributor

Don't do it, the barrel will be gone by the time you get the loads figured out and the gun zeroed in. If you want to actually want to use a 7mm the Rem 7 mag is your best choice.

3. MrMajestic

MrMajestic Gold $$ Contributor

7mm RSAUM is another consideration. Got a good track record. ;) Good for well over 1K yards which is a pretty good poke for the most of us. :-[ I had a 7 STW and they make Tomato stakes in short order.

4. CJ6

CJ6

Belts, I hate'em (just 1 more thing to deal with). With so many non-belted cases (7SAUM, 7WSM, 7 Dakota, 7 RUM, and Lazzeroni's to name a few) out there I would look to those vs the 7mm STW (and I still have 2 STW's). Wildcats I've been looking at are the 7-300 RCM, 7-375 Ruger, 7-68S Imp 30*, 284 Shehane. Norma is producing 7mm and 300 Rum this year so Rum based cartridges will benifit. With the exception (but could also be used) of the 284 Shehane my intended use was for a accurate hunting rifle with 162-190 gr bullets.

5. 7mmmag

7mmmag

I will probably stick with 7 rem mag but I have always wondered how the big mags were . I have considered the 7 mm Dakota but brass availability would be a concern.

6. Gary in MD

Gary in MD Gold $$ Contributor

Ok...,one guy here for the STW!
    I guess it depends on what you are trying to do with your rifle. Mine is a long range hunting rifle. I shoot 140 gr ballistic tips at 3400 fps for deer and 150 gr sciroccos at 3350 did well on my elk. It didn't take long to work up loads, plenty of life left in barrel for hunting. The choice is yours. Don't worry about barrel life....they make new barrels every day.
    Gary

7. smoking-brass

smoking-brass shoot straight....shoot often

I second the 7mmstw...I have had one for 17 yrs.... I have taken moose ...deer...buffalo and long distance coyotes. I use 150 gr sciroccos @ 3325 fps...
    One shot kills! I have had the same barrel since I bought the rifle...use it only for hunting..not a target rifle for sure :)
    Good luck on your discussion

8. 7mmmag

7mmmag

The barrel is sendero contour , I will use it for long range hunting . Do you 7mm STW with heavier bullets or 140-150 gr range work the best. What powders work in your 7 STW?

9. Gary in MD

Gary in MD Gold $$ Contributor

My rifle is a 26" barreled Remington Sendero worked over by Bobby Hart. My experience has been....
    I have mostly shot the 140 and 150 grain bullets in mine. I tried some 160 grain bullets when preparing for some elk hunting and couldn't get the accuracy that I wanted, I didn't try real hard though. I think that I needed to switch to a slower powder than the Reloader 22 that I was using.
    Reloader 22 and IMR 7828 have worked the best for me, lit by Federal 215 magnum primers.
    I do have a box of 168 grain Bergers that I am going to try soon.
    For me, a 140 grain ballistic tip starting out at 3410 fps (measured 10 feet from the muzzle) will handle most of my long range deer hunting. But I have not been shooting at stuff past 500 yards either.
    Gary

10. smoking-brass

smoking-brass shoot straight....shoot often

My go to powder is imr 7828...for 140-150gr bullets....160 + I use reloader 25 and retumbo. Works well

11. FeMan

FeMan CA Hunter's Ed Instructor Gold $$ Contributor

I have had a STW for a dozen or so years and just had it re-barreled. Mine shots lights-out accurate and killed tons of deer, elk, antelope, and hogs. I shot 150 Barnes TSX almost exclusively. My old chamber was throated very long so I had to shoot a lot of freebore to fit the 150's in the magazine. It loved IMR 7828 and I got 3395 fps out of that rig. I also shot 168 Bergers some. I went through a box and almost gave up but gave H1000 a try. It went from crap to 0.3 MOA with the powder switch.

My new barrel shows great promise but I am still in load development with that one.

12. 7mmmag

7mmmag

I think I will try to find reamer for the 7 STW , I already have a 280 Ackley ,7mm Rem Mag , so why not try one . I really appreciate the input . I have looked at many other sites but I find this to be the BEST !!! Thanks Jason.

13. RossL

RossL

Having owned both the 7 RUM and the 7 STW I would have to say there is no difference in accuracy between them.

I would try finding 7 STW brass before you buy your reamer. The brass is very hard to find. Don't just buy a reamer that is for sale. It is a little known fact that there is a 7 STW reamer specifically made to open up a 7 Rem Mag. It has some differences and is not designed to cut a virgin chamber. If you do decide to buy a reamer call Dave Kiff at Pacific Tool and Gauge and discuss it. You might want to supply Dave with a dummy round for throating considerations.

There are worthy alternatives: 7mm LRM brass is available through Gunwerks as is the reamer for this necked down and slightly modified 375 Ruger.

I made a 7mm/375 Ruger (without moving the shoulder for a longer neck like the 7 LRM) with existing dies I had on hand for grins. Wanted to see if it could be done. I have had zero issues finding all the 375 Ruger brass I needed at Sportsman's. On many occasions it was THE only bin with brass. The 7 LRM or 7mm/375 Ruger are very similar to 7 STW performance AND the COAL is a bit shorter so it fits a standard Rem magazine more easily.

14. Pappy B

Pappy B

I have had both! I choose the Ultra Mag! Brass is far easier to find and damn they shoot well! My Sako 75 shoots 140 grain partions very well! my nephews Remington 700 SS shoots everything!

15. dwcon

dwcon Gold $$ Contributor

I use 7stw 180 bergers in light barrels and sendero built right best i have used for elk and deer +1 hunting rifle. DW

16. Romulus

Romulus

I know some guys that got 7 Rums instead of 7 RM and wish every time we go out they moan that they wish they got the 7 RM.

I never had a RUM but I had a .30-378 that I could outshoot at 950 yds with a 300 Win Mag every time and pretty much match the accuracy with a 308 Win :(. Accuracy, Vertical at long range, shootablity, barrel life, and the list goes on. BUT it is a lot of fun to have a boomer! 8)

I've been too busy to look into the volumetrics of how the 7 Blaser stacks up against the other 7 mags. If anyone has that info accessible could you link it to me? Thanks.

17. wildcat284

wildcat284

If you want to go faster than your 7mm Remington Magnum, but without the hassles associated with the 7mm STW or 7mm Ultra Mag, why don't you look at the 7mm on the 300 Winchester Magnum case?.

Very famously there was the 7mm Mashburn Super Magnum - from what I've heard, equivalent to the 7mm STW...

or..

...How about the 7mm Practical

http://www.ballisticstudies.com/Resources/Articles/The+7mm+Practical.++A+Practical+Magnum..html.

A guy here in New Zealand built one and it performs extremely well. Might be what you are looking for.

Regards,

Michael.

18. wboggs

wboggs Gold $$ Contributor

I have some 8mm Rem brass for sale if you want to make STW cases. PM me if interested.
    Bill

19. 7mmmag

7mmmag

I was hoping for some news on Berger's new 7mm bullet ! I was thinking the big mags would push it the best . I know right now is not the time to try to get anything brass bullets ect. Has anybody else thought of this or should I stick with 168 or 180 ?

20. LCazador

LCazador Competitive shooter and reloader for 50 years+ Silver $$ Contributor

168 or 180, 8 twist, and no belts to deal with, 7mm Dakota Improved with proper throat, great brass and a long neck that is conducive to long range accuracy. With the exception of the 280 Ackley, almost all the 7mms have too short a neck for the best long range accuracy with 168-180g bullets. Yes they will work OK with 140-150g bullets, but why limit your long range capabilities?