7mm Shane?

Discussion in 'Big Stuff -- 6.5mm, 7mm, 30 Cal' started by RCE1, Sep 11, 2017.

1. RCE1

RCE1

I inherited an F-class/LR Benchrest rifle chambered in 7mm Shane. I'm not having much luck finding any information about this chambering. The inscription on the barrel is 7mm SH but there were some notes describing it as 7mm Shane. I can always rechamber it to something a little easier to deal with, but I'm mostly curious. The rifle is a Barnard action in a McMillan Stock and a premium barrel, probably a Bartlein with very low rounds through it. It's got a Nightforce scope on it as well.

2. ShootDots

ShootDots Gold $$ Contributor

I think you are referring to a 7mm Shehane. It is a "straight" .284 with the sides moved out for an increase of 3.3 grs of water. That REALLY translates to right at 1.0-1.5 additional POWDER capacity.

Sniper338 likes this.
  3. RCE1

RCE1

Thanks for the reply. I think I once asked my friend about it and he said it wasn't Shehane, but Shane. There was also a For Sale sign saying it was 7mm Shane. Sounds awful close, though. I'm still going through a bunch of stuff and haven't found dies or cartridges for it yet. This was part of a gunsmith's personal collection and a lot of it is non-standard.

4. ShootDots

ShootDots Gold $$ Contributor

I have never heard of a Shane. But I am quite sure there are scads of cartridges out there I have never heard of! LOL!!

thekriebles and JBT like this.
  5. Ggmac

Ggmac

PTG Reamers had a clearance on , if I remember correctly a Shane reamer . You might try contacting Dave if he knows anything about it .
    Back to my previously scheduled nap !

6. XTR

XTR

Order a block of cerrosafe and cast the chamber and see what it is if you really doubt that it is a Shehane.

7. Ggmac

Ggmac

No ammo or dies with it ? Chamber cast time . What was the previous owners name , his sons name maybe his dogs name ? Anythings possible .