7mm- .338 Ruger Compact Magnum VS 300 Ruger Compact Magnum

Discussion in 'Big Stuff -- 6.5mm, 7mm, 30 Cal' started by Phoeniceltic, Jan 7, 2019.

1. Phoeniceltic

Phoeniceltic

I had a Crazy thought and was thinking forming the 7mm from the 338 would afford Less chance for donuts. Why didn't the 7-300RCM catch on? (7-6.5PRC)

Last edited: Jan 9, 2019
  2. LA50SHOOTER

LA50SHOOTER

Maybe because there's already a bunch of darn good 7mm's already out there ? - Just my .02

3. Kurz

Kurz

I have a good friend who hunted plains game in Africa with nothing but the .338 RCM. All 7 animals were one shot except for one and it was dead but just didn't know it.

The rest of the world seems to have chosen to ignore both of the RCMs no matte what some of us think. Your choice of the 7mm version is an opinion shared by few when we have so many others to choose from with better brass available. But it's these choices that keeps the reamer makers in business along with the brass and bullet folks.

Create what trips your trigger and enjoy the process!;)

thekriebles likes this.
  4. Trophied

Trophied Silver $$ Contributor

I've read that the 7 LRM can be difficult to develop an accurate load for, but it seems on paper to be a good 7 mm round of the magnum type with a nice neck length. Not sure if I want to have a barrel chambered for it, but it would work well in my Bighorn SL3.

5. Phoeniceltic

Phoeniceltic

So it appears everyone is Sold-Out of 6.5PRC Brass, which is just as well. I mocked up an example using 68S Norma Brass & .338RCM & 7SAUM dies. It's roughly 2.0" Tall, looks like 308 Case with some fat. (I only checked Midway, Natches & two others, was informed BUDS, huntslongrange.com, & Grice had it in stock by Member. Sorry for any confusion)

Last edited: Jan 9, 2019
  6. alf

alf Silver $$ Contributor

I'd say you're not looking very hard.....I found 2-3 places in stock in 5 minutes.

With it being in limited places though tells me there's a lot of interest for the round despite the naysayers.

7. Ledd Slinger

Ledd Slinger Gold $$ Contributor

The 300 RCM was wildcatted down to 6.5mm not long after it was first released in 2008. Slightly larger than the PRC as it was the full 2.1" 300 RCM case necked down. Some put sharper shoulders on it. 140gr bullets around 3200 fps. Very effective long range hunting round. The guy who is laying claim to the 6.5 PRC idea that he "came up with" in 2012, was beat to the idea by wildcatters a few years prior. PRC design is old news to wildcatters

Last edited: Jan 8, 2019
  8. alf

9. can1010

can1010 Silver $$ Contributor

ADG is suppose to have 6.5 PRC this spring and heard rumors of 300PRC announcement at shot show

Phoeniceltic likes this.
  10. alf

11. Phoeniceltic

Phoeniceltic

I'd like to track down a possible Reamer with 35 or 40 Shoulders, or perhaps the LRM with Sharper shoulder. Any info would be appreciated. I'm set on the 2.0" Case though. Might even consider the 170 Berger .270 Bore for more Giggles. (good luck finding a 1-9 twist donor)

12. Ledd Slinger

You can design a reamer however you wish. You can take some of the designs reamer makers have on file and make any mods you want, or have them build something completely original. A reamer and custom dies can be made for whatever you can think up.

I recommend JGS for reamers. Top quality, extremely sharp, and very precise.

For custom dies, I like to have Whidden build my FL sizer and then buy a Wilson Micrometer seater blank and have a custom chamber matched seater made with my reamer. Whidden can also make you a custom micrometer seater if you want to stick with threaded dies only.

13. Phoeniceltic

Phoeniceltic

So no info on cartridges with the Sharper shoulders? Could you direct me towards a particular Thread perhaps? // (Could someone chime in here besides advertisements for Reamer & Die Companies?)

14. Ledd Slinger

What info do you need??? Tell a reamer manufacturer whatever you want. You want a 35 or 40 deg shoulder just ask for it.

Here's a thread that started 10 years ago in 2009 where guys were first talking about and starting to wildcat the RCM cases in all kinds of different ways, including the 7mm RCM.

https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/topics/3611747/Re_7mm_RCM

Another one from 2014 with a little info on the 7mm RCM

https://www.thefirearmsforum.com/threads/another-wildcat-possibility.136531/

I dont have time to search and post all the info. Just Google search whatever other info you want.

15. Phoeniceltic

Phoeniceltic

How about performance with 175 Grain bullets from 6.5-PRC case capacity? Okay, so with some Real Data I found out the 6.5-PRC case capacity is approximately equal to the 280 Ackley Improved. So I can easily compare performance. Thanks to everyone. Case capacity on my 68S brass "Shortie" mock-up will be less, probably equal to the .284. So there you have it, you can use 6.5-PRC Brass to make a Short Action 7mm copy of the Famous .280-AI. Easy as Pie.

16. jamesh

jamesh Gold $$ Contributor

The 300 PRC is the 375 Ruger necked down to 30 cal not the 6.5 PRC necked up to 30 cal. Just in case there is any confusion.

17. Phoeniceltic

Phoeniceltic

I'm reading there are Several company's coming on board along with Hornady to produce the 6.5-PRC BRASS ensuring this Cartridge will be around for years to come.