722, 700 or 788?

Discussion in 'Gun Project Questions & Gunsmithing' started by moody223, Apr 1, 2008.

1. moody223

moody223

I was thinking about building a simple bench rest rifle, not something incredibly expensive, but just something to shoot for fun. The caliber would probably be a 22br so i know i would need a 308 bolt face and was planning on finding a cheap used rifle to just use the action. My question is this, would you go with a Remington 722, 700 or a 788? I know the 722 or the 700 would be stronger, but could I expect the same accuracy in the 788 action? Or would I be better off going with the 700 since there is far more parts and pieces available?

2. Kurz

Kurz

moody223,

The M788 is just as strong as the M722 or M700. The biggest difference between the M788 and the other two is that the locking lugs are on the back of the bolt on the M788 which can allow for some bolt flex. Some shooters claim a loss of accuracy from this design. I set one up to shoot F-Class chambered for the 6mm/250 and it shoots accurately enough for me. Maybe not national record pace but still, accurate enough. The M788 trigger can be made to be adjustable but it won't be as good as a couple of the best aftermarket triggers for the M700.

The M722 and the M700 allow you a better selection of virtually every part needed to build a rifle. The footprint for both is the same but the safety inlet is different on the M722. Not a big deal really because you can switch the trigger out with a new one if you want. Stocks and triggers are far easier to find.

I like the M788 but I am qualified to do my own work so most of the drawbacks don't bother me. For others though it would be easier and probably a little less expensive to get a used M700 and be on your way.

Enjoy the shooting no matter what you choose!

3. BoydAllen

BoydAllen

You might want to consider one of the Remington short action clones, like Stiller makes. By the time that you buy a rifle and do all the work of the action that will be needed, you will be ahead of the game buying an action that just needs barreling. Choose your gunsmith with care. The ones that shoot and build Benchrest rifles don't cost any more than guys that assure you that they can do the job, but have no competition credentials. On the other hand, if you already have the action, Bob Brackney is one of the best for blueprinting. He can also build you the complete rifle.

4. Tommie

Tommie Gold $$ Contributor

The 700 will definitely be the easiest build. It's the small block Chevy of rifle actions.

If you want to irritate your competition, do the 788,as I have).

For what you're looking to do, I'd suggest buying a Savage target action. Then screw on a pre-fit, chambered barrel and get a drop-in stock. You'll then own a surprisingly accurate gun for reasonable coinage.

Tom

5. moody223

moody223

I've got a 788 223 right now that I've put a timmney trigger in and made it a little better. But does anyone make a better trigger for a 788? Or a bench rest style stock for that matter? I've thought about going with a savage, but I just like the feel of the Remington 700 or 788 action better.

6. Macs

Macs

stockade guns in Chadron Neb. will custom build the stock for you for about anything that you want, the guys name is Kevin Rayhill. He's quite possibly the best Savage man around too. Go to www.stockadegunstocks.com .
    Best of luck and happy shooting,
    Chuck

7. Eddie Harren

Eddie Harren

The old IBS Hunter Class record of 250-22X stood for many years and was set by Frank McKee using a Rem 788. It has since been broken. Dwight Furrow, long time Hunter and Varmint Hunter shooter, along with his wife Donna, always used Rem 788 actions.
    Oh, as a side note, the gunsmith, rifle action, barrel and stock do not shoot the aggs or scores that win matches, the shooter does.

8. Tommie

Tommie Gold $$ Contributor

Every centerfire I own is a 788, so I guess that makes me a fanatic.

I bought one on those Timney triggers - not impressed. Ended up drilling/tapping the factory trigger with great results. Mike Bryant http://www.bryantcustom.com/ used to convert 788 triggers to 3-way adjustable. I don't see that service listed on his website now, but you might call him.

A few years ago I contacted McMillan about inletting an Edge stock for a 788. They said it was no problem. I think other stock manufacturers will do a 788 inlet as well.

These rifles offer some advantages over 700's but also pose some disadvantages. Do some homework before jumping into such a project. Building a customized 788 requires extra thought, money and work. Model 788 rifles are a labor of love and not the simplest mode of getting from point A to point B. If you're looking to build a gun by purchasing pre-made components and bolting them on, go in another direction. Other than the lack of aftermarket parts, the biggest problem you'll run into is finding a gunsmith who will work on a 788.

Tom