700BDL Varmint Special ?

Discussion in 'Varminter & Hunting Forum' started by willsnipe, Sep 8, 2016.

1. forsyth793

forsyth793

Remember Bob Pease "Poor Mans Specials" Those guns cost me a lot of money but I sure got a lot of enjoyment from them

2. brians356

brians356 Gold $$ Contributor

Never seen one like that, it's not fleur-de-lis. Could be a custom?
    -

3. SDWhirlwind

SDWhirlwind

Yes it is. Some call it "ribbon pattern", cannot remember what Remington actually called it. Have a Varmint Special 243 7 digit setting here from late 69 or early 70 with same design.

4. brians356

No it is not.

A "fleu-de-lis" is a stylized lily flower with three petals. Here is the notorious pressed (not cut) 700 BDL fleu-de-lis pattern (my '67 Varmint Special in 6mm Rem):

20180415_213945.jpg

I believe the photo from "RusselJ" shows a "ribbon" pattern as you suggested.
    -

Last edited: Apr 16, 2018
  5. msinc

msinc

The one in question is the so-called "ribbon" pattern. The earliest of 700's had a little "extra" panel of checkering pressed into the area just behind the bolt shroud.
    Not too sure the OP's gun has 1-in-12 twist....easy enough to check, but my money is going on 1-in-14. Even the Army didn't go to 1-in-12 until the early 80's. I don't know that Remington ever did on the Varmint guns...I have a new {couple years old now} 700VSSF with the HS Precision green spider web stock and it is 1-in-14. Some Model 700's might have been 1-in-12. Model 7's were and then they went to 1-in-9...I have one of those.

6. SDWhirlwind

SDWhirlwind

I sincerely apologize Brians356, you are correct. I should have done more digging before typing. Had it in my messed up melon that they were one in the same without doing a side by side. Seems anymore whenever I 'think' I come up short!! Again Sorry!

I am not sure but cannot remember seeing an ADL with the "ribbon" pattern. On the early '60's ADL and BDL both had the checkering behind tang as well as the added panel on grip. Also there was a diamond on fore and aft of forearm panel. I know of several dealers around here that call those "double diamond" but not sure Remington's technical nomenclature.

cath8r likes this.
  7. brians356

Not a bit of it - absolutely no apology warranted! I hope I didn't give the impression I was aggrieved. I myself had no clue the ribbon pattern existed, I've only ever owned three 700s, and two have HS composite stocks.

The 1967 in 6mm Rem I pictured was a pawn shop find, in "as mint" condition. I'd blush to tell you how little I paid for it. It was 15 years ago, before every pawn shop were adept at scouring the Internet for gun values. And not until last night, when researching its production code, and reading my Blue Book, did I realize it is from the very first year of Varmint Special production. Not a very common chambering, either. It shoots 3/4 moa all day, 70-gr TNTs @3800 fps ahead of Superformance. Knocks coyote's d__ks in the dirt, and ruins a rock chucks' whole day.
    -