7 Saum mag fed pressure test rl26

Discussion in 'Big Stuff -- 6.5mm, 7mm, 30 Cal' started by Alex Wheeler, Dec 2, 2017.

1. 2thdk

2thdk

Alex, what is the freebore of your reamer?

2. Alex Wheeler

Alex Wheeler Gold $$ Contributor

I throated to match the dummy round.

3. 22DASHER

22DASHER Gold $$ Contributor

Alex, how far are those 180’s seated into the case to get them to fit the Wyatts box?

Edit: just seen your post on long range for reference. Thanks

Last edited: Dec 4, 2017
  4. Alex Wheeler

I guess I can share it here too. Top to bottom, 162 eldx, 168 vld, 180 hybrid all seated to 2.950 7saum.jpg

5. missed

missed

That 180 is stuffed in there, but the speed numbers work and it's in a AICS short action mag length! Definitely my next caliber.

6. Alex Wheeler

H1000 today.
    Topped out at 65.5 with a drop tube. 3020fps, no sign of pressure but I cant fit any more powder in. So far all 3 powders had a flat spot in velocity at 2950 fps. It will come down to h4831sc or H1000 around 2950 fps I would guess. Not bad for a 180 in 26" out of a short action.

muleystalker and swd like this.
  7. muleystalker

muleystalker Gold $$ Contributor

How long of a drop tube do you use?

8. Alex Wheeler

8" but it wouldnt be needed if the throat was longer.

muleystalker likes this.
  9. bart brennan

bart brennan

I wonder how the 175 Berger elite hunter would do as an elk bullet in this case as I have a lot. Your friends poor experience with the 195 have me spooked. By the way that 7saum is the best looking cartridge I’ve ever seen!

10. Alex Wheeler

11. MTSLW

MTSLW Silver $$ Contributor

Alex, what are your thoughts on the glass quality of the VX6HD? How would it compare to say a March 3-24X42? I appreciate the info gained by with all the testing you do!

12. Alex Wheeler

The glass quality is excellent. Unfortunately I had to send it back to leup for the second time. I asked for a replacement this time around. The parallax was binding right out of the box on this one. I REALLY like this scope. I hope my issues are isolated.

13. missed

missed

Alex,
    Are you seeing any flyers with the 180's being seated deep? I'm going to order a reamer and blank soon.

14. Alex Wheeler

I have not got to the group shooting phase yet. Why would you see fliers? Back in the early days of the dasher the 104 freebore was popular. My first couple barrels were on a 104. It put the bullets deep. Tons of records were set on those reamers.

15. missed

missed

I am trying to find that thread, now that I think about it, I think it was the VLD's that would do some goofy things if they were seated really deep. But that may have been a combination of jump to the lands and deep seating. I want to spin up a 7 SAUM barrel for my SA Mausingfield. I'm going to start collecting parts soon.

16. JBT

JBT Gold $$ Contributor

I run my .300 Win Mags with a DBM (Accuracy International type Mags) so to fit in the magazine all my VLD type Bullets are seated “deep”. However, my reamer is set up for this with appropriate freebore for Mag length restrictions. I’ve had fantastic results from these rifles.

Alex Wheeler likes this.
  17. justme

justme

Alex please share info about the magazine set up. Which mag will the saum case feed from? I had a 25saum built years ago on a short 700 and would like to set up with detachable mags. Thanks

18. missed

missed

I am planning on an American rifle company mag with the spacer in the front removed which will get me to 2.98" just like a AI mag.

Just have to tweak and trim the feed lips. The Alpha type 4 mag will do it if you can get one.

19. smokinghole

smokinghole

I have an Accurate DBM setup on my Savage in 7SAUM. I don't have a ton of trigger time with it but it seems like solid feeding, they make mags for the WSM sized cases.

20. Alex Wheeler

Anything center feed is going to work. This one has a center feed wyatts extended box.