6XC or 6mm22-250 ackley improved

Discussion in '6PPC, 6-6.5x47, 6XC, 6 Rem, 243' started by ronfoster, Dec 29, 2009.

1. ronfoster

ronfoster Site $$ Contributor

I have a standard 6mm22-250 and would appreciate some advise on which way to go by re-chambering to a 6XC or an ackley improved. the rifle is used strictly for varmint sillouette matches, I have other rifles in 6BR and 243 ackley. thanks, ronfoster

2. fivering

fivering

I looked at this a couple of years ago, and decided to go with a 22-250 cased necked up to 6mm, Ackleyized.
    You get a grain or so more capacity than the XC, and you have a wide variety of relatively inexpensive brass to choose from. Winchester has so far been the best for us. :)
    Performance has been outstanding, winning several State Championships and at least one Regional Championship in F-Class, where it was shot in competition with the bigger calibers like the 6.5x284, etc.

3. savageboy

savageboy

So on that set up- a 6mm --- 250-3000 AI, How many grains of powder do you use w/ what bullet for what velocity? Like 105Gr VLD at What fps with How much powder? Inquiring minds want to know.

4. ronfoster

savageboy I am currently shooting the standard 6-22-250, which is a Win. case necked up to 243 dia. I load 105 amax and 36.0 gr H4350. also 95 gr. Berger or SMK wiht 33.5 gr. varget these are not max loads and I have not chronographed them. guesstimate 2950 to 3050 fps. all are moly coated. I think I could get another 100-150 fps with an ackley and less case stetch because of less taper. I have a 22-250 ackley 9 twist and shoot 75 & 80 gr amax out to 600 yds. with very good accuracy. hope this helps your inquireing mind. ronfoster

5. MTETM

MTETM

Either way would be an improvement if you are having brass longevity issues. The straighter bodies and 30/40 shoulders will reduce the case stretching and trimming issues. With that said, I would say based on your load data that you are not running into case issues. Your loads seem very light and i would hesitate to change anything if the current system is working.
    I load my XC well above the loads you have listed. I am getting great brass life with Formed Winchester 22-250 brass.
    If you are looking for more 'performance' I would work on the current load unless you are at max in your current rifle.
    Just my thoughts...

6. WyleWD

WyleWD

Mostly agree with MTETM. I went the 6xc route, no turn necks, using the Norma 6xc brass. Sweet! Seems to shoot a good number of powders reasonably well.

Definately agree with him in the area of loads. Ya might want to look into some R-17 or N550 if you're using 80gr-95gr bullets. WD

7. therifler

therifler

Ron why did you give up on the 6mm250ackley ? mike

8. ronfoster

Mike when I originally ordered this rifle from an Oregon rifle smith, I ordered it in 6MM -22-250 ackley. when it arrived several monthes later it was a standard 6MM -22-250 . I called the smith and told him of his mistake. he said send it back and I will change it, I was wanting to shoot the rifle in an upcoming match and did not want to wait amother few monthes, so I kept it as is. it is a good shooter the way it is but I would like to get a bit more velocity with my 105 gr. bullets. now I need to find a smith in southern california that has a propper reamer. I have several hundred rounds of fireformed winchester brass, that could be turned into ackley brass by re fireforming. decisions , decisions;;;;

9. MTETM

MTETM

Hello Sir,

I would imagine you can get several hundred more form FPS from your current chamber. The data below is from the Hodgdon reloading site and is for the 6mm-250.
    I would say you are well below a maximum load and if all you are looking to do is gain some FPS, working on your current load may give you the results you want. This would save you the down time of the rifle and save the expense of setting back and re-chambering...

This data is for non coated bullets.

105 GR. HDY A-MAX Hodgdon H4350 .243" 2.600" (starting load) = 34.7 2724 45,700 CUP (Max load) 37.0C 2883 52,200 CUP

Just my thoughts...
    Good luck and enjoy

10. therifler

therifler

Ron thanks for the come back . Reason I asked Ishoot 6.5x250 Ack. I changed body lenght at the datum line but other than that it's a 250 case . It shoots well I then tried the 6mm 250 ack. and kept it the same size as 250 ack. without success. Sounds like i gave up on the latter round to soon . You found that .003 thous. neck tension was critical?

11. ronfoster

thanks to everyone that responded, and I am gratefull for your advice and comments. after all is said and done I have decided to leave it as is and concentrate on developing a better load for the 6MM 22-250. I think I will try some Reloder 17 and consentrate on the 95&105 vld bullets. thanks again to all and have a happy 2010 shooting year. ronfoster

12. Raptor

Raptor

I went to the 6XC from the 6-250 and loved the 6XC. Its easy to load for and was very accurate.

I decided I needed more "Umph" at 1000yds to shoot the 115s so I went and rechambered it again to a 243XC or 6mmsuperX which was also very accurate.

I could not get the 115s to group as well as I thought they should but then realized that to many rounds had went down the barrel by the time I started shooting the 115s and it was going south on me.

I would highly recommend the 6MMsuperX (243XC)that Robert designed if you want to push the heavier bullets faster. Its very easy to load for and very accurate.

13. e2k236lefty

e2k236lefty

to raise velocity try coated bullets and work ou the loads I am pushing 3200fps w/105 amax and rl17 and moly coated bullets that is close to the top thats why I dont give out grains of powder.
    obtw if you do switch to 6xc I still make my bras w/ win 22-250 brass.

14. Griffith187

Griffith187

I'm sorry if I'm asking a stupid question but I'm currently having a 6mm22-250 built with Lapua brass hoping to shoot 105 grain hunting vld for coyotes and antelope,deer I've been told I should have no problem reaching 3000 fps. If accuracy is there will the Berger bullets hold up to 3100fps. I have several questions and I'm not sure where to start I've debating all of this for about a year I wanted t go with a 6xc but gunsmith didn't see any advantages.

What does everyone think and thanks for an awkward question

15. basshusker

basshusker Back in Sioux Falls Site $$ Sponsor

I have had a 6xc, 2-6x47Ls currently, and a 6-250 40 improved. They all shoot lights out but I got sick of Firefox ming from 22-250 brass. I didn't get the brass life I would have liked. Making new brass gets old quick. Now there are a couple of good options for brass. The 6x47L you just neck and shoot. Same with 6xc if you buy the brass. 6x47L I can get 20 firings on brass and not lose brass to primer pockets. To hit the same node in 6xc with win 22-250 brass the pockets we shot between 3-5loads. 1 load for fire forming. Not worth the extra work when I can get the same thing and just go shoot. 6xc just buying the brass or 6x47L or 6 creedmoor and just go shoot. My .02

WyleWD likes this.
  16. Dusty Stevens

Dusty Stevens Site $$ Contributor

I vote 6x47L unless you just like to tinker. Good brass you can load and shoot

17. AckleymanII

AckleymanII

I am a glutton for punishment, so I go 6xc with the 308 Palma brass, also cut a .100 longer neck also to take advantage of all that brass that was part of the 308 case.

with the longer neck you have two options:

throat it out the std .100-.120 and increase your burning chamber, lowering pressures

or

throat it out .030 from the .100 longer neck, and have a tad bit more freebore than a normal 6 XC case(comparing where the base of the bullet would be in each case), and this will give you a lot more barrel life.

In any case, the turbulence point has been pushed way back, and this may increase barrel life.

I am getting bug hole accuracy out of a 31.25" X caliber barrel, unturned blank.

18. jcampbellsmith

jcampbellsmith Site $$ Contributor

I think you have picked the wrong gunsmith. 6XC brass and ammo are available off the shelf. Regards JCS

WyleWD and dantiff2 like this.
  19. WyleWD

WyleWD

I am puzzled by the response of your gunsmith... "he couldn't see any advantages" to the 6xc over the 6-250?o_O :rolleyes: First off, it's YOUR rifle. Secondly, having a lot of experience with both cartriges, I'll take the 6xc with the Norma brass and its performance long before all that forming, reforming, fireforming, neck turning etc. And as far as performance, again having had both, the 6xc with the Norma brass is the clear winner. JME. WD

20. Griffith187

Griffith187

OK Sorry guys, sorry for being a dope, WyleWd you said you would take norma Brass and the 6xc before all of the forming and reforming. I plan on going with a 6mm22-250 I shouldn't have to do much other than run that through my 6 22-250 die and shoot correct. The next question is I was told, and please be patient, that the 6xc was similar to an ackleyized version of the 22-250 neked up to 6mm . As far as the gunsmith he is a well known gunsmith and maybe a little old school and set in his ways but has built several winning 6mm 22-250 and a few 6xc I just didn't want to pressure him otherwise he did tell me he would build whatever I wanted those jut were his thoughts. I was just reaching out because Im curious there are so many thoughts and ideas I just wanted to ask some of you other guys on the forums because I don't have an inner circle of friends that have similar interests in rifles again sorry guys and thanks

And Ronfoster I was curious if you could send me a pm if you read this I would like to talk to you about your 6 22-250