6XC II Reamer

Discussion in '6PPC, 6-6.5x47, 6XC, 6 Rem, 243' started by butler12, Sep 27, 2017.

1. butler12

butler12 Silver $$ Contributor

Hi,
    I was wondering if anyone had a 6XC II reamer that they might rent? I have a Hawk Hill barrel with Lee Gardner at the moment and I would like to chamber it in 6XC. Lee has the older 6XC reamer but I need the 6XC II because I have 300 Norma cases I took in a trade. I cannot find a 6XC II reamer to rent anywhere.
    I am willing to pay you for the reamer and shipping to Lee as it would help me out no end.
    I can pay you with PayPal and I will pick up all the fees.

2. kolar55

kolar55 Silver $$ Contributor

I just had Lee chamber a 6xc barrel for me. I am using brand new Norma brass and there is no problem with it at all. The brass came from David Tubbs company. I also just received a Whiddden sizer die that they made from the print Lee sent me. It too works perfectly. Hope this helps.

3. butler12

That's great news I just thought I would post the question about the reamers. I was just unsure his reamer would work perfectly with Norma brass after reading about the need for a 6XC II reamer for it to run right with the Norma brass. But it sounds ok now that yours is running great. Thanks for the prompt reply.

4. kolar55

A
    s I understand it the problem had to do with early Norma brass being a bit large in the head/web area vs the ealy reamers. The reamer Lee has is larger at .200 than the early 6xc design. Having a custom die from Whidden sure seems to get the job done. I haven't fired all that many of these but I am able to size them easily enough that they chamber with no resistance with about .002 setback. I don't think you would be unhappy with Lee's reamer or his work. So far it looks like 95 Berger hunting VLD's are going to be a very accurate load. All I need now is the time to put the finishing touches on it.

5. tclaunch

tclaunch Silver $$ Contributor

See if he has a reamer print, the XC II print is .4714" at the .200" line on the print.

6. kolar55

Tclaunch your post reminded me that I have a print of the reamer he used on my rifle. See the attachment. It is .4695 at the .200 line.

Attached Files:

7. tclaunch

That print is not for the new Norma brass. The need to borrow a reamer in XC II is for real.

8. KMart

KMart Gold $$ Contributor

As Tim said this is not the correct print. This was an early print when everyone was making brass from 22-250. I had one and couldn't get it to work with Norma brass

9. butler12

Hi,
    This really is a super forum the knowledge here is first rate.
    Now it seems I am back to the start as I want this barrel to run perfectly with Norma brass. Is there anyone who would rent Lee a 6XC II reamer for my upcoming barrel.
    Thanks
    Scott

10. kolar55

Apparently somebody forgot to tell my Norma brass it wouldn't work. They work fine-no extraction problems and no sizing problems at this point.

boltfluter likes this.
  11. kolar55

I got to thinking about this and remembered I had some unfired new brass. They measure at the .200 line .4675 avg. with a low of .4675 and the high .4676. Fired and run through the sizing die they come out at .4685 avg. and range from .4684 to .4686. And they do chamber just fine. It seems like I had read somewhere that Norma had corrected the head size issue. So maybe the brand new stuff is smaller? Your mileage may vary.

12. tclaunch

Your above post said you had a custom die, and this is why you are not having issues. The Redding XC II die that Whitley offers is the perfect match for his reamer. Early chambers based of 22/250 like yours needs the cistom die. The new Norma stuff is based off 308 brass and the .200" diminsion differs.

13. Catfur

Catfur

I have one, I might be willing to rent it out. However it is tight neck (.270), and slightly generous in the body width dimensions (mimimus +.0005").

14. rcol317

rcol317 Silver $$ Contributor

I'd agree with Kolar55. I'd think Lee's reamer is fine as well, I have a rifle chambered with the 6 XC ll reamer and several with my own reamer that is the older 6 XC cut. I can't see the difference with the Norma brass. I use the same brass for all my 6 XC rifles.

15. tclaunch

What dies do you use?

16. rcol317

rcol317 Silver $$ Contributor

Redding NK bushing die, Whidden FL bushing die and seater.

17. tomswede

tomswede

I have a 6XC CIP reamer that I had Lee chamber a barrel with a few weeks ago. Decided to go the simple route, if that is good enough for the European 300m shooters it's good enough for me. Being a CIP standard it will fit Norma brass. Got the reamer from PTG. This is the second barrel with this reamer, nice to know what you get. Would recommend getting one.
    PS Lee did excellent work on the installation.