6xc cartridge guide

Discussion in 'Main Message Board' started by Hengehold, Sep 16, 2018.

1. Hengehold

Hengehold Silver $$ Contributor

Why doesn’t the 6XC cartridge guide have a “pet loads” spreadsheet like all the rest of the cartridges do?

Seems like it would be a nice addition for the 6XC guide.

-T

2. Dusty Stevens

Dusty Stevens COVFEFE Gold $$ Contributor

Im sure if you wrote one up the boss would gladly put it in there

LA50SHOOTER likes this.
  3. LA50SHOOTER

LA50SHOOTER Gold $$ Contributor

I don't see any spread sheets - What am I missing ?? - The Accurateshooter.com site has "table" type information on numerous cartridges. - Here on the Forum I see & have also posted loads in Sub-Forums under particular cartridges IF I had good info to submit.
    - But I've Not seen any spread-sheets - Am I lost & have no where to go ? (LOL)

4. Hengehold

Hengehold Silver $$ Contributor

I am referring to the tables that list load data with Bullet, powder type, charge weight, primer type, brass type, velocity, etc.
    -T

5. corsair4360

corsair4360 Silver $$ Contributor

I have two 6xc's They like full charge loads of Varget, around 36 grains one about a half grain less. Have not tried other powders, Varget does the job and we often shoot it out to 1,000 yards. The David Tubb web site (heavily linked to from the accurate shooter web site) has changed and many loads etc are no longer listed which irritates me, I suspect a lawyer got involved. Regardless, this site has the most I have found on the 6xc and I very much like the cartridge. http://www.accurateshooter.com/cartridge-guides/6xc/

6. Dusty Stevens

Dusty Stevens COVFEFE Gold $$ Contributor

if yall have info you gotta get it to the boss. hes a pretty busy guy he cant go out and put together all that info on every cartridge

7. Forum Boss

Forum Boss Administrator

6XC Cartridge Guide was one of our first, and it was based on a cartridge profile created by multi-time Nat'l HP champ David Tubb. His work did not include a load table.

My advice: Use H4350 and Reloder 16 with the heavier bullets.

jr600yd, Don and Dgd6mm like this.
  8. corsair4360

corsair4360 Silver $$ Contributor

AND the links in the guide to Tubb's web site are all not functional (that is lead to nowhere).

9. spclark

spclark Gold $$ Contributor

It’s been more than 15 years since the 6XC premiered. In that time there’s been lots of what I’d call ‘tweaks’ that generically still get lumped into the 6XC category... Whitley’s 6XC II included.

My first was a McMillan factory Schneider on a T2k that’d blow primers & need a hammer to open bolt with D. Tubb’s ‘starting’ loads for moly’d 107’s.

Later on, with a 30” Bartlein chambered with a Henriksen reamer I fell onto a superb load using the then-new IMR8208 & hBN-coated Berger 105 VLD’s. Folks warned me it’d blow up bullets, but I never lost one. I suggested that load to a friend (with the caution to back off a grain or two starting out) using 107’s. He said it was too hot, went back to H4350.

That load still shoots good for me in that rifle. I been making brass from Lapua’s Palma brass after finding out how much longer small-primer case heads last over the LR flavor.

In short I think there are so many variables that affect accurate, safe loads for the 6XC that any kind of meaningful table-based recommendations migh be a fool’s gambit.

timeout and LA50SHOOTER like this.
  10. waynemac

waynemac

If your shooting longer barrels, you might try RE-25 and H-1000. Both gave me good accuracy and more velocity than H-4350.

Wayne

11. tomswede

tomswede

I have been using Norma203B/R15 and 105 Berger Hybrids. Chamber is 6XC CIP from PTG ( there is a standard out there and cases are being made to it so I used it). Shoots really well, Norma stated on their site that 203B does not give the max speed but was the most accurate for them.