6x47 twist suggestions?

Discussion in '6PPC, 6-6.5x47, 6XC, 6 Rem, 243' started by Cold Bore, Jan 25, 2013.

1. Cold Bore

Cold Bore

I'm in the early stages of having a 6x47 (6 x 222 Rem Mag) built.

I'm taking apart my old Shilen DGA for the action, and have a McMillan HV on order.

I need to get a barrel ordered, but am undecided on twist. I've seen guys running anything from 8 to 14 twist in this chambering.

I already have an 8-twist getting chambered in 6mmBR on a different action, so my heavyweight stuff is covered. Not sure what I'm going to concentrate on shooting out of the 6x47 yet, but thinking since I have a bunch of 105s for the 6mmBR, that I'll "probably" look more at stuff around the 70 gr range.

I'm not a competitor, but will use it for groundhogs and informal target shooting.

Anybody have any input or thoughts on what barrel twist to order, or thoughts on the bullet choices for this one?

Thanks!

2. alf

alf Site $$ Contributor

I had one of my old Panda PPC 13 twist barrels chambered for a 6x47x45 Improved, and that one died at around 7500 rounds, digesting nothing but 55 grain Ballistic Tips at 3300.

There's an awful lot of people that advocate 8 twist for everything (and you know where I got that from), but if that's the case, BR shooters would be doing it too. Generally the best accuracy will come from matching the twist as close to "going over the edge" as possible, with the intended bullets.

I'd probably go 12, if you're not going over 70's, and to stay away from teetering on the fringe....

3. Cold Bore

Cold Bore

Yep! That's one reason I asked here instead. I already KNEW the other answer. :p

Yep again. That's why I mentioned the 70s here. Anybody have any input on bullet choice for this one? I have a bunch of 70 gr SMKs and BTs, and figure they should work fine in this cartridge. With the 6BR, along with a handful of 243 and 6mm Rems already in the safe, does anybody see a need for anything vastly different?

I've been going back and forth between 10 and 12.

Heard too many bad stories about 14s, so have no desire to go there. And have the heavies covered with the 8 in the 6BR, so no need to go there again either.

Any other thoughts? Barrel will be ordered by the beginning of next week.

4. alf

alf Site $$ Contributor

Have you got the reamer and know the freebore? That could sway things....

I'm tempted to get a minimum necked, zero freebore 6x45 just for 55's.

5. Cold Bore

Cold Bore

Yes, and no. Sorta.

I was talking to my gunsmith buddy who is going to do the work, and asking what to do with this extra action. I didn't want another 222/223, as I have that covered.

So he suggested the 6x47, saying that he had the reamer. Of course I said "Sure, sounds fun, why not?" 8)

I'll be calling him tomorrow and can ask about the throat on it.

6. DCRYDER

DCRYDER Site $$ Contributor

My old 12 twist 6br liked both 75gr vmax and 85gr Sierra Gamekings. It was 18" long and only got 2950fps with the 85's but they still stabilized just fine.

My old 26" Hart barreled 6br in 12 twist would stabilize 80gr Ballistic Tips and 80gr Bergers.

7. Cold Bore

Cold Bore

Thanks for the hands-on feedback DCRYDER.

After looking for more info, I'm leaning 1-12 right now.

8. RJinTexas

RJinTexas Site $$ Contributor

I've not had any experience with the 6-47 but have a friend who owns a 6-45 that's a 14tw, with zero free bore, he only shoots 55 NBT's & 58 Vmax's. I've shot it and found that it performed very well in the p-dog towns. All my varmint 6BR's have been 12tw and have shot the 75 Vmax's & 80gr Berger FB bullets extremely well. Please let us know how yours performs when you get it put together. I think that a 12tw allows you the option of using bullets 55 to 80 grains

RJ

9. 357Mag

357Mag

Cold Bore -

Howdy !

Since you have the " heavies " covered w/ another rifle; might I suggest you move closer to use of lighter .224" calibre bullets ?

Given the KE possible along w/ a bullet of explosive anti-varmint design; it'd be hard to beat the
    classic Hornady 50SX for ranges 235yd and under. For pushing a bit further out w/ this case size; you could always up-gun to the 55SX.

Either of those bullets would work in a 1-14 twist.

In years past, me and shooting buddies killed a whole bunch of " soybeanus digestus ".
    With the smaller capacity .224's, the 50SX seemed to work best. The 55SX' s really started comin'
    alive, when shot from cases like .22-250, .20 Swift; and my wildcat .22-35Rem.

J.M.T.C.

With regards,
    357Mag

10. Cold Bore

Cold Bore

Hi 357Mag, and thanks for the suggestions.

However, with most offerings between 221 Fireball and 222 Rem Mag already in the safe, I really was looking for something different to do this time with a small bolt face action.

Once you step outside of the typical 22 cal offerings, there aren't a lot of choices. Since my buddy had the reamer, and wanted to do the job, 6x47 it will be! 8)

11. Cold Bore

Cold Bore

Thanks RJ. That pretty much covers the range of anything likely to be shot through this one, so at this point it looks like it will likely end up as a 1-12. :)

12. Cold Bore

Cold Bore

Count on it!

13. 357Mag

357Mag

Cold Bore -

Howdy, again !

OK... I gotcha.... 6X47.

In that case, for some "strange"... howz about use of Sierra 6mm 85BTHP ?
    These are one of their classic varmint bullets.

I found out when weighing different 6mm bullets ( mostly Match bulets ), that the 3 boxes fo Seirra 6mm 85BTHP were THE most weight consitent compared to any other/ all other 6mm bullet I weight checked. Boxes of 85BTHP featured a weight spread of only .2grain !

No suprise, these bullets shot super accurately in my 6mm wildcat 29" Broughton SS "5-C" rifled 1-8.

The 85s have a good-size HP, and their ogive is not all that swoopy... but boy, do they shoot.

Just a thought.

With regards,
    357Mag

14. Cold Bore

Cold Bore

And not too shabby a deer bullet according to some, though this rifle is destined for the groundhog fields, not the woods.

And I regularly hear good things about their accuracy.

Think they'll shoot with a 1-12"? (I bet they will....)

15. 357Mag

357Mag

Cold Bore -

Just a thought:
    You can call Sierra for their input on twist rate for 6mm 85BTHP. A bullet tech can tell you over-the-phone.

If 6X47 case capacity & powder chosen can get the vel to where it needs to be for stable bullet flight; 1-12 will work.

Please keep us posted !

With regards,
    357Mag

16. Cold Bore

Cold Bore

A 1-12" is on it's way to my buddy.

McMillan said the stock is a few weeks out, so hopefully everything will come together around the same time.

I'm looking forward to getting it all assembled and ready for this summer's groundhogs! ;D

17. 5spd

5spd

Im a bit late, but on my 6x45 build I went w/the 1/10" twist & definatly did not want the slower 1/12 and happy I did.
    It shoots the 55g to 95 gr bullets under moa at 100-400 yds.
    My last 700yd target was right at 5.6" with the 95g nosler HBT.
    Nothing for me to complain about, its my go to coyote/antelope rig, same one in all my coyote posts here.
    I have both the 85g sierra GKHP & 95g nosler HBT strictly for antelope & it smacks em good to 300yds so far.
    I almost did the 6x47 rem, but since I have 15k .223 brass I use I went 6x45.

18. Cold Bore

Cold Bore

Gee, sure, NOW you chime in. ;)

I'm pretty sure the 12 twist will work for what I plan (primarily 70's in this case). But I can see your point if wanting to use something heavier for big game.

I can sure understand that!

As I mentioned, I'm sitting on a big pile of 223 brass as well, and the 6x45 was more of my first choice too. But.... my 'smith had a 6x47 reamer, and talked me into it, so it was no big deal to just place an order for some 222 Rem Mag brass to catch up. 8)

19. Clancy

Clancy Site $$ Contributor

I can tell you with 109% confidence u want a 1:10.

The 88 Berger is a perfect pairing for longer ranges as far as BC to FPS goes,
    and you won't over stabilize tiny little varmint bullets.

Ask me how I know....

20. redrockranger

redrockranger

I shoot a 6 x 47 AI. 10 twist Adams and Bennett barrel, F-54 contour. It shoots 70 gr. Sierra Blitz Kings at 32oo fps. The $ 90 barrrel does right well . It's on a Savage 12 BVSS.