6x47 Lapua Loading Question

Discussion in '6PPC, 6-6.5x47, 6XC, 6 Rem, 243' started by TNellman, Sep 8, 2017.

1. TNellman

TNellman

Hi,

I am fairly new to reloading but I had read some mixed things on the 6x47 L reloading techniques. I have sized my 6.5 L brass down using a Redding 6x47L non-bushing FL sizing die(worked real nice).
    I read that some people are FL sizing after every shooting? Isn't it better to fire form and then just size the neck or is there something I don't know about the 6x47L?

I bought a Forster 6x47L Bushing Bump Neck Sizing Die but not sure how to use it to just size necks? Anyone willing to give me advice on how to neck size this brass using the bushing die or am I suppose to FL this cartridge every time? I am also considering having Lee make me a custom collet neck sizing die after I fire form the brass.

Sorry for the newbie questions, trying to learn, I appreciate any advice, thanks for your time.

-Tom

2. 357Mag

357Mag

TN -

Howdy !

Are you shooting this in a bolt rifle, or a gas gun ?

Please let us know.

With regards,
    357Mag

3. LCazador

LCazador Competitive shooter and reloader for 50 years+ Silver $$ Contributor

The Forster die you mention will do an excellent job of sizing your brass if it is set up correctly. You will need a Hornady headspace guage for proper die set. Do not use the expander. Use a bushing .002" under your loaded neck diameter and bump the shoulder 1 or 2 thousands. If you wish you can set the die up for no bump and it will size only the neck portion of the brass. I use a Redding bushing full length die and bump .002". My cases are now on their 8th loading with no signs of wear.

4. TNellman

TNellman

To answer previous response this is for bolt action. To be clear, I use the head space gauge to measure how far back to bump shoulder to keep cartridge fitting and measuring the neck diameter is to set tension and essentially size the neck?

Also, can the Redding full length die be used to size just the neck?

Thanks for your responses.