6PPC Neck

Discussion in '6mm, 6.5mm, and .25 Cal (Not 6BR)' started by TimP, Jun 15, 2013.

1. TimP

TimP Silver $$ Contributor

I am in the process of having built my first 6PPC BR rifle. Barrel and action are in and I was talking with my smith about the neck diameter. He recommends a .268 neck opposed to the more standard .262 neck. I have no reason to not take his advise just looking for some opinions.

Gennaro64 likes this.
  2. CatShooter

CatShooter Guest

I have a 0.262 neck and I would go with a thicker neck, or a "no turn" neck, if I had it to do over again.

3. gpoldblue

gpoldblue

My 1st 6PPC had a .262" nk.....no problems. Turning necks took a lot of time(3 stages) of turning necks. Decided to to go .268"nk. I bought a .268" reamer from PTG,new brass.and neck bushings,etc. No regrets.....A LOT less work turning necks(1 pass). I recommend the .268"nk.

4. JohnHenry

JohnHenry Silver $$ Contributor

With a .268 neck diameter chamber one can turn the necks if using Lapua 220 Russian brass or have a "no turn" chamber if one chooses to use the new Norma 6PPC brass that will have an unturned loaded neck diameter of 0.265 to 0.266.

5. 82boy

82boy

Most Benchrest shooters use a .262 neck, and most books, magazine articles, videos, and internet references will go off this neck measurement. I would recommend you with being a new shooter not to deviate away from what is popular. If you go with what is popular, and get into having problems it is much easier to diagnose problems, when you don't have something different than what everyone else is using. The .262 neck measurement, some would say that it is old thinking or out dated, but the fact is it is still widely used and more or less excepted as standard. Most shooters will not go away from the .262 neck because they are use to and know the ins and outs with a .262 neck, and have no desire to try something different.

The only way I would go with the .268 measurement is if you have a good mentor and is working with you on shooting, and they use this neck. Other wise, don't re-invent the wheel.

6. JohnHenry

JohnHenry Silver $$ Contributor

TimP, Attached link for your info. May want to note reply #13 by Dave Kiff.
    http://benchrest.com/showthread.php?83995-6PPC-Neck-for-Norma-and-Lapua-Brass&highlight=neck+diameter

7. lukehalee

lukehalee

Had both. 268 preferred. Less to cut, not as easy to bend when dropped.

Ccrider likes this.
  8. Link

Link Silver $$ Contributor

A friend just bought some pre turned brass for a 262. No muss no fuss, done right by a pro.

Well worth it for some.

Link

Shooter13 and Otis284 like this.
  9. Shooter13

Shooter13 Gold $$ Contributor

If you shoot as many calibers as I do and shoot as much as I do you will become an expert on brass prepping including turning.................or you'll destroy a lot of brass :D

10. Dusty Stevens

Dusty Stevens COVFEFE- Thread Derail Crew Gold $$ Contributor

I wouldnt think the .262 would be as popular now as it was when this post was going. It truly wasnt then but even less so now.

jimmymac likes this.
  11. Shooter13

I knew this was an old thread but still consider it relevant, I'm having a 6PPC built and it will come with a .262 neck and we will see. When I search for info on a topic I do look to see the age of said topic but rarely discredit it because of age.

12. Dusty Stevens

Im not discounting your reply’s relevance, you just dont see a 262 much now or then.

Marklincoln and Shooter13 like this.
  13. Shooter13

No problem Dusty! I understand and if the barrel had not already been prepped I probably would have gone 268

14. Dusty Stevens

You can get it next time. Its way easier to borrow a barrel at a match if its a bat with a 268nk

Shooter13 likes this.
  15. Shooter13

Don't tell my wife but I already have 2 more barrels coming that I purchased from the Goodling sale and will probably have the 6 done in a 268 neck. :D

Marklincoln and Dusty Stevens like this.
  16. Dusty Stevens

I have a goodling panda 262nk barrel on my shelf for nostalgia

Shooter13 likes this.
  17. Nick Caprinolo

Nick Caprinolo Gold $$ Contributor

I think that when thinking about things like this, you do what the big boys do. Meaning, find what the match winners use. Learn what the record holders used. Then you compare the results with what the losers used.

This will take a bit of research because it is rarely listed in match results. Best place for this question would be in the "Competition Forum."

18. JimPag

JimPag Silver $$ Contributor

In the end it doesn't matter what neck you use it's going to be how good a shooter you are that makes the difference. It's a lot easier to go with a .268.

Gennaro64 likes this.