6ppc Lv Backup- Grench, Grendel, 6br, 30 Major, 30br

Discussion in '6BR, 6BR Improved & Wildcats' started by Ccrider, Feb 20, 2020.

1. Ccrider

Ccrider Gold $$ Contributor

I did not want to totally hijack @Ranger188 thread ;) so I am starting this one.
    What would you choose other than a 6ppc as a second choice for Lv/Hv if you wanted your best chances at 200/300 on windy days? What bolt face would your choice require?
    Thanks
    Charles

2. gunsandgunsmithing

gunsandgunsmithing The best tuners and wind flags on the market Gold $$ Contributor

Accuracy and flag reading trumps everything, Charles..but I really like my 6 Grendels a lot. My 30 Major flat shoots but I consider it at a slight disadvantage in the wind vs the 6. This is not a bc game at 100-200 and 300 is just where it seems to be important enough to be worthwhile. Regardless, if I pull the trigger at the wrong time, it won't hit where I want it to. You can't leave much, if any agging ability on the table, hoping to make it up in a switch. Just my 2 cents.

3. R.Morehouse

R.Morehouse Gold $$ Contributor

30 Major................Super easy to load for and 1 barrel with 100 pieces of brass would likely outlive me....;)

Regards
    Rick

4. Dusty Stevens

Dusty Stevens COVFEFE- Thread Derail Crew Gold $$ Contributor

Most times a backup gun will be an exact copy- at least caliber and barrelwise. It sucks to get your load fine tuned then have a trigger break, go to your spare gun thats a totally different setup and ammo you loaded yesterday and the tune is different now. I want a backup to shoot the same ammo and load as my main

5. Sniper338

Sniper338

All them cartridges give me the excited bug... id be, and am temped to have a barrel for them all lol.

If your working with a ppc bolt face, stay with a ppc bolt face cartridge. Saves money.

Id be looking for smaller diameter bullets, so 6mm over the 30 cal for fighting wind better at shorter range, then speed, all compiled in a good accuracy node. Still it would be wind reading games no matter what.

Ccrider and gunsandgunsmithing like this.
  6. Ccrider

Thanks. Never thought about that. So I need a same caliber/reamer backup.

Still Dusty, what would be your first choice in the wind at 200 and 300 if not a ppc?

7. Ccrider

I get it Mike. If you can’t read the wind and shoot, the gun ain’t go make up the difference for you.
    The other thread got me to thinking that at 200 and 300 there may be times that a well tuned something else may give you an edge over a 6ppc.

When you say 6 Grendels, are you talking about a 6mm or 6.5? And, are you referring to Grendels or Grinches?

8. Dusty Stevens

Nothing would be better to me, and nothing has proven to be better in reality

Ccrider likes this.
  9. Ccrider

Ok @Dusty Stevens. Is this a riddle? In @Ranger188’s thread you said “Some days its a big advantage at 200 with the 80s”. What am I missing?

Mark W and gunsandgunsmithing like this.
  10. gunsandgunsmithing

gunsandgunsmithing The best tuners and wind flags on the market Gold $$ Contributor

I'm talking 6.5 Grendel Lapua brass necked to 6mm. I shoot 68's at 3500+ and 80's at 3300+, both with very good accuracy and good brass life...and it's easy.

Annnd, it's beaten a lot of PPC's! In fact, while it's beaten a ton of 6PPC's, it's only beaten a few 6 Grendels! So, they must be almost unbeatable! Lol!

That's the logic that some people use to justify shooting the same thing that the majority uses, so it must be right. ;):D

A 6 Grendel is nothing more or less than a .070" long
    6 PPC. How bad can it be?

WyleWD and Ccrider like this.
  11. Ccrider

Ok
    Ok Mike. So you neck down the 6.5 brass. Anything else? No turn or turn the neck? I assume the rim is a ppc case rim.

gunsandgunsmithing likes this.
  12. Sniper338

Sniper338

Lapua grendel brass is strong, last for EVER.. yes neck down the 6.5 brass. Easy peasey

gunsandgunsmithing likes this.
  13. gunsandgunsmithing

Yes, it's a ppc case head, just like a ppc. My reamer is a .271 neck and that does require a light turn. I did a no turn last year on one rifle to compare it vs the tight neck rifle over some time. I won the UBR custom class National championship with the tight neck but truthfully, the no turn gun shot as good or a tad better....Believe it or not!

I just set the tight neck championship barrel back and made it into a no turn. It's shooting as good as it did before from what I can tell so far. Not enough rounds down it to say that as a fact yet but it appears that way.

R.Morehouse likes this.
  14. urbanrifleman

urbanrifleman Site $$ Sponsor

50 fb 6bra. 80 grain Bergers.

WyleWD likes this.
  15. Dusty Stevens

This thread is about a backup. Your backup and regular should be interchangable and should be rotated regularly. An play gun can be something else just to experiment. Something bigger than a ppc shooting 80’s from a 12tw can be an advantage if its shooting better than your regular gun that day.

Ccrider and WyleWD like this.
  16. WyleWD

WyleWD Gold $$ Contributor

+1^^

If your backup rifle has a 6ppc bolt face and you want to indulge in some experimenting, the 6 Grendel would be a really good place to at least start. JME.

For the 6 Grendel, A 6.5 Grendel Redding FL Bushing resizing die is all you need to neck down, then turn the necks and you're in business. For seating, a chamber type 6PPC die can be reamed with your Grendel chamber reamer to seat bullets. Lapua and Norma make great brass. And there are some less expensive brands of brass available. You probably have a powder that will work well with it since you're shooting a 6ppc.

Two years ago I began experimenting with the 6 Grendel, now we have several barrels chambered in it in 12 & 14tw. At 300yds a 12tw Grendel shoots competitively well. At a club group shoot that we frequent, last year I can't remember a match that there wasn't at least a Grendel in the top 4, one match there were 3 of the top 4 were 6 Grendels. So, IMHO, it works. Not saying it's better than the 6ppc, but certainly no slouch.

Check your prints, but you might even be able to set a 6ppc barrel back just slightly and chamber it to 6 Grendel. I've had that done twice and it works fine for load development and experimenting. YMMV. WD

17. JEFFPPC

JEFFPPC Silver $$ Contributor

I agree with Dusty 100 percent on backup gun. One target left in a match, your doing well , I don't want to try and figure out what a ballistically different cartridge is doing at that point especially at 300 yds. Original thread talks about 200 and 300 yds on a windy day. Well then I would take my 6BRX, secret that day is stay clean at 300.

Last edited: Feb 21, 2020
    Ccrider and Dusty Stevens like this.
  18. Ccrider

So, are you Guys saying that if your ppc is not shooting well at 300 (match setting) or maybe 200, you would never consider going to something else?

gunsandgunsmithing and WyleWD like this.
  19. Dusty Stevens

Sure. I have other stuff and shoot it often. If its shooting better than a ppc ill grab em in a split second. You gotta get to know all your stuff

WyleWD likes this.
  20. rsmithsr50

rsmithsr50

even tho he said "backup" he does not mean spare/replacement. read again. he is asking would what would you have for 200/300 when the wind is up .