6PPC Barrel Life

Discussion in 'Gun Project Questions & Gunsmithing' started by Nick Caprinolo, Jun 22, 2019.

1. Nick Caprinolo

Nick Caprinolo Gold $$ Contributor

Following the advice of several members, I talked to a Bob Green a gunsmith in York Pa. I have decided to cancel my previous order and purchase a barrel direct from Krieger. I will then drive up to York and drop the rifle and barrel at his shop. Now to order a reamer. Any one have a suggestion on where to purchase a reamer. Do any of our members make them?

joshb likes this.
  2. R.Morehouse

R.Morehouse Gold $$ Contributor

Henricksen, 262 neck, 45 FB.............I like mine. Many seem to be using a 268 neck with great success..

Regards
    Rick

Nick Caprinolo likes this.
  3. Dusty Stevens

Dusty Stevens COVFEFE- Thread Derail Crew Gold $$ Contributor

Put up a wtb ad in the classifieds. Last reamer i got from henriksen was a tad over a year. Jgs or manson would be my choice. If you order a barrel direct from krieger youll have the reamer in plenty of time. Tell them to get you a .268nk .045fb ppc like most shoot. Or just let bob use his. You dont need to own a ppc reamer if you use a good br gunsmith. Itll be out of style before youll need it again.

Tommie and Nick Caprinolo like this.
  4. Nick Caprinolo

The rifle I am now shooting is .262 which I am really happy with. I also have two sets of dies custom made for the .262 neck. I am thinking I will also get a 30BR barrel cut while I am at it although I don't like the idea of altering the bolt face. I know everyone says the work fine but the bolt ain't broke and I don't think I should fix it.:rolleyes::rolleyes:

5. Dusty Stevens

Get mike ezell to make you up a 30major barrel. Youll never know it from a 30br and itll fit your boltface

6. R.Morehouse

R.Morehouse Gold $$ Contributor

I'm 100% with Dusty on the 30Major through Mike Ezell. He will advise you to pick up a set of Redding type S Match dies 6.5 Grendel. He will open them up for you and do a great job. When he designed his reamer he did it around the print used to produce the Redding 6.5 Grendel dies, so what you get is custom die fit with an off the shelf Redding price. My Major with 118 Hillbillies can run with my 262 neck ppc's.

Regards
    Rick

7. joshb

joshb Gold $$ Contributor

Hey Nick! Good choice on using Bob. He does all my work. He’s an artist. Have you talked to him? He might just have the sized reamer you want. I went to meet him for my first work and we talked for a long time. He’s been at this forever and knows more than I could ever wish to know.
    These days, I just ship my action to him and call to tell him what I want. I have my barrel blanks shipped direct to him to save a little, too.
    I have to mention that I did buy a couple used barrels, years ago. That didn’t work well for me and I will never buy another one. I believe that if a guy has a “good barrel” he wouldn’t sell it. I sure wouldn’t.
    Don’t forget about DJ’s being able to turn down some brass to fit your ppc bolt-face.
    The 30 Major idea might be a better bet, too. I’ve read some rave reviews about it.

8. TrxR

TrxR

Manson reamers are 10 to 12 weeks out.

9. SS427

SS427

I suggest you get a reamer that matches the entire dimensions of your custom dies, not just the neck.

10. Nick Caprinolo

I did take to him on Monday. The barrels are coming to my and I will take them to him, so I can meet him in person. You're right Josh, no used barrels for me. New ones are not that expensive and they will be to my specifications and a custom reamer. He told me he has a reamer but I think I want a new one so the next barrel will be the same exact thing. I am looking into the 30 Major so that might be what I will get also.

joshb likes this.
  11. Dusty Stevens

Call mr ezell and he can send you a barrel ready to go.

Nick Caprinolo and joshb like this.
  12. Nick Caprinolo

What about brass?

13. Dusty Stevens

One pass thru an expander with a grendel case and youre on your way. Or you could get some from ezell himself maybe