6PPC Barrel Life

Discussion in 'Gun Project Questions & Gunsmithing' started by Nick Caprinolo, Jun 22, 2019.

1. Nick Caprinolo

Nick Caprinolo Gold $$ Contributor

I just ordered two new Krieger barrels for my panda action. They won't be ready for four months.

My question is, what part of the barrel wears to the point of not being accurate. Is it the throat or the bore, or both? It seems that most bench rest competitors change barrels after about 300 rounds. Consequently there are many seemingly good barrels sold that still have a lot of life in them. I know it is time for me to change as I have almost 1,500 rounds down the tube. Still shoots better than any of my other rifles but not to 6PPC standards. I can buy a used barrel to use in the meantime for under $300.00 with the stated 300 rounds fired.

Nick

2. WayneShaw

WayneShaw

Maybe if won't shoot well.

3. Roeder

Roeder Silver $$ Contributor

Is your 4 month wait for new barrels from Krieger, or for having them fitted? There are a number of distributors that stock Krieger and Bartlein in the popular contours and twists for 6ppc Benchrest rifles. To answer your question; the throat is where the fastest degradation in accuracy occurs. I don't know where the 300 round barrel life idea came from. Most competitors get much more life than that. I would guess that 1500 rounds or more is fairly common. It is true that a slight decrease in accuracy may start to occur around 300 rounds. Shooters that do their own barrel fitting often do a short barrel setback to get a fresh throat.
    Every barrel is different and accuracy life varies. It pays to chase seating depth as time goes by. Sometimes a barrel that has stopped shooting may come back to life with a little change.
    300 rounds? I've had barrels with more rounds through them after 2 matches that kept on shooting for several more. One of the best barrels I ever had did not come to life until I had about 1000 rounds through it and set the chamber back about 1/4 inch.

Laurie and butchlambert like this.
  4. Nick Caprinolo

I ordered the barrels from Kelbly's and they will be doing the work.

I know that these barrels are available from other sources but my very competent gunsmith does not want to chamber it. He said he has never worked on this type of rifle and if he turned out a bad one both he and I would be disappointed. Very commendable on his part. I have used him for years and he always has a long backlog of work.

I have real confidence in Kelbly's ability to match the action I have. When I ordered the barrels he asked for the serial number of my action and promised he could match the barrel to it.

There are a lot of used barrels with stated 300 round use at Shooters Corner in New Jersey. I may take a trip up there and see what he has. He has several long lists of guns, barrels and reloading equipment. Good way to spend a morning. Like locking a kid in a candy store.

5. Roeder

No doubt Kelbly's will do a good job for you. I wouldn't get your hopes up to find a good shooting used barrel.

vahena, joshb and gunsandgunsmithing like this.
  6. Nick Caprinolo

Advice is why I posed the question. Thank you.

gunsandgunsmithing likes this.
  7. tenring

tenring Silver $$ Contributor

"I can buy a used barrel to use in the meantime for under $300.00 with the stated 300 rounds".

Of that is a quality bbl and it has an honest 300 rounds thru it, I would jump on the deal.

You can't go wrong with Bob White - very honest and a great shooter.

Ggmac and Nick Caprinolo like this.
  8. Dusty Stevens

Dusty Stevens COVFEFE- Thread Derail Crew Gold $$ Contributor

The reason they have 300rds on them is thats all the components people will waste on them. A lot of barrels dont shoot before 250rds so thats a standard answer then if it doesnt within the next 50 it gets pulled off.

joshb and Ggmac like this.
  9. Ggmac

Ggmac Gold $$ Contributor

If the used barrel will fit your action AND the chamber is the SAME I'd take a chance . One mans bad could be another's great start in the game .
    I bought 6 used barrels on here and all but one will shoot under a quarter inch . Great for my style of shooting now . The bad one was rechambered to 6 TCU and cutting off the 2.5" made a lot of difference, it's now under my goal of .25"

10. Nick Caprinolo

I hope and pray you are wrong, although I have learned to trust everything you say as Gospel.

What do I do, after I just spent $1,500.00 on two barrels, if they are both useless? That's a lot of money for me to spend and wind up with nothing to show for it.

11. liljoe

liljoe Silver $$ Contributor

How much for 2 barrels?

Ouch!!!
    Joe Hynes

12. Nick Caprinolo

About $1,500.00, which includes cost of barrel's and cambering. That's the going rate and most likely cheaper that having a local gunsmith do it. Keilby's built my rifle and it shot flawless so I have faith they will do a good job.

13. Dusty Stevens

Dusty Stevens COVFEFE- Thread Derail Crew Gold $$ Contributor

They make more every day! I would have full faith in the kelbly chambered new barrels.

vahena and Nick Caprinolo like this.
  14. jimmymac

jimmymac Gold $$ Contributor

You can't worry about the barrels not shooting. You have a good barrel manufacturer and Kelbly doing the chamber, so I'd rest easy. I suspect you are going to be fine.

The thing is, PPC shooters go through barrels. This is part of the game with a PPC. Many barrels shoot great, then they lose the edge and get replaced. Some never shoot to a competitive level at all, which IMO is why you see quite a few barrels for sale with low round counts. Some of those barrels may shoot okay, but it didn't meet somebody's expectations which is why it's for sale. If that barrel was the hammer of Thor, it wouldn't be for sale. You have to ask yourself...Why is a barrel with 300 rounds on it for sale? It's an easy answer if you think about it.

A lot of it comes down to your expectations and what you are doing with it. Casual shooting with the boys at the local range is one thing. Shooting to win at the Nationals is a different thing.

15. liljoe

liljoe Silver $$ Contributor

Nick, read the last paragraph that jimmymac wrote above.
    This is the game of benchrest, sorry Wayne.
    You will find that a barrel that will shoot some nice .190" groups at home in good conditions won't cut the mustard at the nationals where it may take a .1425" agg to win.
    Joe Hynes

Nick Caprinolo and jimmymac like this.
  16. Nick Caprinolo

Besides the obvious machinery, what does a competent gunsmith need to chamber a barrel? Is a reamer all he needs? What does the term "finish reamer" mean? Who makes the best reamers?

I've gotten several PMs suggesting I purchase a reamer and find a gunsmith to do the job. I am beginning to think this may be the way to go. If I go this rout, I would like to find someone within two hundred miles or so, of the Baltimore area if possible. I like meeting with folks and discussing things face to face. Besides, I have never met a guy working for himself that didn't like cash in hand.

Last edited: Jun 23, 2019
  17. jimmymac

jimmymac Gold $$ Contributor

Ideally he’d need the gun the first time for precise fit up, although guys some times skip this step with custom actions. I wouldn’t, but YMMV.

After he’s had it in his hands once and records the pertinent data, he can spin you up barrels from there on out without the need of your gun being there.

Having your own reamer is a good idea because it allows you to buy a custom sizing die and seater one time and one time only. If you use different smiths reamers, you’ll chase your tail some.

Get in touch with any number of competent smiths who specialize in BR rigs.

@gunsandgunsmithing is a helpful guy. He can guide you through up to and including specifying a reamer if you want to buy your own.

Dave Short here in western PA is excellent. He can do anything you need just as Mike can.

Those are only two guys. There are many more top quality gunsmiths that won’t charge you $1500 for two completed barrels.

18. Roeder

You should be able to find a competent Benchrest smith not too far from you. I don't know of any in Maryland, but I don't know anyone in Maryland. Virginia and PA both have a number of the best in the country. You might try posting over on BRC. The competition Benchrest forum will reach the widest audience of actual Benchrest shooters that might have valid recommendations. The really good small shop guys don't cruise the forums looking for customers as they are too busy actually building rifles. Most of the best known Benchrest smiths are also active Benchrest competitors or have been. If you venture out to shoot matches you will come into contact with some of these folks.
    As an aside, if you are paying about 750.00 for a fitted barrel, you may not find much savings. 350.00 for a blank and 300.00 for fitting, marking, and finish is not unusual. You might be able to get a much faster turnaround, especially if you find a blank from one of the distributors that stocks them.

Last edited: Jun 23, 2019
  19. Nick Caprinolo

The cost per barrel is $770.00. $330 for the barrel and the rest is chambering and contour to my old barrel size. Since weight is not a problem, I could just leave the barrels straight. I don't know what the extra cost for this is but seems insignificant to total costs. I can buy these barrels straight from Kielbly for the same cost. Reamer is in the neighborhood of $200.00 and I own it so that really doesn't figure into it as far as I am concerned.

20. Tommie

Tommie Gold $$ Contributor

And, of course, there’s equipment/components being sold off because it’s easier to blame hardware versus software. It happens.