6mmBR giving me fits

Discussion in '6BR, 6BR Improved & Wildcats' started by STOMP442, Aug 14, 2019.

1. STOMP442

STOMP442 Gold $$ Contributor

I just built a new coyote rig a few months back and I am having a hard time getting the thing to shoot the way I want it too. I have chambered four other rifles including my brothers which is nearly identical to mine that shoots fantastic. Mine, however, is an average shooter at best no matter what I try to feed it. The rifle is a trued up Remington model 7 action, PTG lug, 22" Bartlein 7.5 twist #3b contour barrel, EGW base, Leupold VX3i LRP 4.5-14x50 in Burris signature rings, Timney Trigger and pillar and glass bedded into factory walnut stock. All action screws and scope screws are tight and the barrel is floated. This is the second scope I have had on the rifle. The first one was a 14 power Burris so I don't think it is a scope issue as results were the same. I was really wanting to run the 105gr Bergers but I'm getting 3/4" groups at 100 yards no matter what powder I try. I have tried Varget, H4895, CFE 223 and IMR4064. Accuracy is truthfully probably good enough for what the rifle is intended for but I have a couple of other 6mmBRs that shoot dots most of the time so I know what the cartridge is capable of. I have moved from the 105 down to the 95 Sierra TMK in hopes for improvement but results have been the same 3/4" grouping with H4895 and Varget so far. This is a fun comfortable little rifle but I am beginning to think there may be something wrong with the barrel at this point. I have worked with seating depths from just touching the lands to .050" off with no obvious signs of improvement. I am using Norma brass and CCI 450 primers. Any insights on this one?

2. greisdor

greisdor Gold $$ Contributor

Put your barrel On your brothers action And see if it shoots.....

JR

boltfluter, mikeinct and Prose like this.
  3. STOMP442

His is all tuned up and shooting great. Not changing anything on that one.

milliron likes this.
  4. CaptainMal

CaptainMal Silver $$ Contributor

The Berger 105 comes in a Hybrid and a VLD version. For the Hybrid you mostly jump. For the VLD you mostly jam. neither are hunting bullets but target ones. Guessing you want to punch holes with no expansion to ruin the yote pelts.

If you want a forgiving target Berger, their 108's are that. Try a .005" jump. Otherwise, try more bullets in an expanding hunting style.

5. Evan

Evan Gold $$ Contributor

Probably the barrel. Contact the maker; if they are reputable, they'll want it back to inspect and will send you a new one when they find what's wrong.

Has this action shot another barrel well, or is it an unknown?

6. tmwinds

tmwinds Gold $$ Contributor

Load 30.0 of Varget, CCI 450 primer, Berger 105 VLD seated .012 longer than firm touch. If that doesn't shoot less than 1/2 inch look for something wrong other than the load.

7. STOMP442

Im using the 105 Hunter VLDs. I don't care about pelts I just don't want them to run off.

8. STOMP442

I've loaded 30.0gr of varget at just touching with the same 3/4" results. I don't want a hard jam as this is a hunting rifle and I don't want to stick a bullet in the barrel.

9. mikehotel

mikehotel

You might try the 95 grain VLD (either target or hunter) over 8208 xbr. 105's and varget shot well, but I like the 95's better, just saying.

WyleWD likes this.
  10. STOMP442

I built this off of an existing model Seven I had. It was factory chambered in .260 Remington. It would shoot the 123 Amax into about 5/8 pretty regular with that little wimpy 18" #1 barrel or whatever it was that came on them.

11. SPJ

SPJ Gold $$ Contributor

Might have something to do with 7.5 twist rate

mikeinct and Rushty like this.
  12. STOMP442

My brother has the same barrel. We ordered them at the same time from the same place. His 7.5 twist barrel shoots well under half inch with 30.0gr of Varget and Berger 105s. The only difference between mine and his is 2" in length. He went 24" while I went 22".

13. SPJ

SPJ Gold $$ Contributor

Humm...

14. gme

gme Site $$ Sponsor

do you do a bore scope inspection of your chamber before removing it from the lathe?

15. steve123

steve123

I friend has the same problem with his Bartlein 6.5-4s - all custom Gradous. No matter what bullet, or depth, or powder combo it is a 3/4" rifle at best.

Mine has a Bartlein as well but it's sub half" at 100Y.

Friend is ordering a 7mm barrel and going 7SAUM.

16. Lefty Trigger

Lefty Trigger Gold $$ Contributor

I would suspect the barrel as well. I have owned Savage "economy" actions that shoot just as good as the target actions without the fancy trigger, but I have also received barrels that are just not up to par even from name brand companies. But it's all speculation at this point...

17. tmwinds

tmwinds Gold $$ Contributor

I understand.

18. STOMP442

I don't no. I don't have one.

19. AckleymanII

AckleymanII Silver $$ Contributor

Say it ain't so!?

Production items are sometimes flawed, even the best of brands.

20. divingin

divingin

Did you try the VLD seating suggestions on Bergers website? My bench gun (7.5 twist Krieger) shot well at or near touch, but tightened the group up at about 50 thousandths off touch (that was with the 105 Target VLDs though.)

https://bergerbullets.com/vld-making-shoot/

Good luck

Lone Hunter likes this.