6mm Varmint build

Discussion in 'Varminter & Hunting Forum' started by Flatfishhunter, Jan 13, 2018.

1. Flatfishhunter

Flatfishhunter

My rifle parts have finally arrived and I'm ready to have my gunsmith put things together. I have a Brux 24" sporter barrel in 6 mm w/ a 1:8 twist, and it will be attached to a Defiant action with a detachable box magazine (accuracy international magazine). My main use of this gun will be for varmint hunting and some possible Antelope. My plan has been to try a 6 BR AI. I would like to know if any of you have had any experience in using lighter weight bullets like in the 58gr to 87gr range. If so, what powder are you using, and what velocities are you obtaining? Also, has anyone had success in repeaters when using the AI magazines with the Primal rights followers. My other thoughts have been about going to the 6mm Creedmoor or possibly the 6 Dasher. Some have warned that they might feed better.

I not only want an accurate round, but I want something the functions smoothly. Any pertinent experience would be appreciated.

2. Phil

Phil

6XC or 6 x 47 Lapua, or 6 Creedmoor would probably feed better...

3. 22DASHER

22DASHER Gold $$ Contributor

I have to agree with Phil on this one. For the intended purpose of the rifle I would go with the 6x47L. It will get you extra velocity, guarantee no feeding issues, and no fire forming needed. If you do want to go with the 6BRA or Dasher there are a number of feeding solutions out there that work very well.

Last edited: Jan 14, 2018
  4. GSPV

GSPV A failure to plan is a plan for failure. Gold $$ Contributor

Can't speak to anything else, but...

Both of my 7x47L feed awesome in unmodified AI mags. They are Tikka T3 actions. One is in a Manners stock. The other is in an Eliseo tube chassis.

I'm loading them from 2.640 to 2.838 COAL.

Last edited: Jan 15, 2018
  5. Tommie

Tommie Gold $$ Contributor

This.

6. timeout

timeout Silver $$ Contributor

Dashers can be tricky to feed. For hunting purposes I use the Kwikclip bottom metal and removable magazines. I have a modification procedure for the magazine that allows them to feed very reliably. I've tried to make them feed from a regular BDL style magazine, but never could make that work satisfactorily. Ditto on the Wyatt's, I do not like those. Feeding is definitely a consideration. I found something that works for me and love my Dasher. 6 BR is great also. If I were starting from scratch today, might give the 6 BRA a try.

7. Breakshunter

Breakshunter

I have 2 6xc rifles and they both feed great, one is a old sako with factory box mag and the other is a rem700 with bottom metal, damp is a ten twist other is an 8.

8. expiper

expiper

.243 WIN....ROGER

9. 243winxb

243winxb

10. Gary in MD

Gary in MD Silver $$ Contributor

Make that 3 votes for the 243 Win !!
    Keep it simple

nmkid, MrMajestic and a1712 like this.
  11. MQ1

MQ1 Gold $$ Contributor

I’ve got a short action Remington 700 fitted with badger bottom metal and AICS mags. It is a switch barrel and it feeds .243AI well and 6x47L excellently (with stock follower).

I’ve got a great 22br barrel, but I’ve long ago quit trying to find a magazine that will feed...I’m sure it can be done, but it is just not worth the effort to me at this point. The 22br with light bullets is very short...if it were a 6BR maybe...but the 6x47L is too sweet of a combination of velocity and reliable feeding that I’m very satisfied to stop my search.

MQ1

Last edited: Jan 17, 2018
  12. K redden

K redden Silver $$ Contributor

My dashers feed great from a magpul mag. I like the plastic magpuls as they don’t scratch my brass . Also bdl bottom metal with a little help. I have two primal right followers but I’ve never needed to use them. Just saying I’ve never had a problem getting dashers to feed And they make a great dear round with a 105 Berger or amax

timeout likes this.
  13. Toby Bradshaw

Toby Bradshaw Gold $$ Contributor

My 22BR coyote calling rifle is built on a Kelbly Atlas Tactical (AW magazine cut, TG ejector) and feeds/ejects rounds with 40gr Nosler Ballistic Tips like a champ, with just an ordinary AICS mag (no Primal Rights conversion).

nmkid likes this.
  14. timeout

timeout Silver $$ Contributor

I've owned a 243 most of my life, but I prefer the Dasher. I read up on modifying to feed from a Remington BDL mag but couldn't make it work. I consider myself fairly handy, but met my match on that project. Can you get Magpul mags in 5 round capacity? I don't like the magazines hanging out on my hunting rifles. The Kwikclip mags do scratch the brass somewhat, but they fit flush with the bottom of the stock.

15. brians356

brians356 Gold $$ Contributor

I don't know if this adds anything, but my 250 Ackley 40-deg feeds fine from a bone stock Rem 700 BDL magazine. (A 250 AI 30-deg would nearly identical to an imaginary "25 Creedmore".) When I had the rifle built, it never occurred to me it might feed poorly.
    -

16. MQ1

MQ1 Gold $$ Contributor

And every time I watch that video, Toby...I want to find the solution all over again.

:)

MQ1

17. geraldgee

geraldgee Gold $$ Contributor

For what its worth, I had a 6 Dasher built on the same action as in the video and the action cycled ammo very well without any conversion. Too bad it didn't shoot as well as it cycled - its now a 22-250AI. If you want a 6BRA, I don't believe you will have any feed problems if you use the single stack magazines.

18. Toby Bradshaw

Toby Bradshaw Gold $$ Contributor

Only $999. :)

[​IMG]

MrMajestic and MQ1 like this.
  19. kilowatt41

kilowatt41

I had a 6 Creedmoor put together this fall, I went with a Remington SA with a varmint bartline 7.5 tw. It really likes the 95 tmk Sierra haven’t had enough good weather to work with the 105. We used some 90gr Swifts for deer season my son took a nice buck at 260 yards very pleased with the new rifle. I like the 6 Creedmoor if you’re looking for something easy but don’t want a 243 win.

20. MQ1

MQ1 Gold $$ Contributor

Honestly...for as much time and energy as I spent trying to get the remington 700 to feed, $999 is a bargain!

Plus you get an already true action, a much more precison built bolt...what’s not to like!

MQ1