6mm Rem. 80 grain Barnes TTSX loads

Discussion in '6PPC, 6-6.5x47, 6XC, 6 Rem, 243' started by warrbuk, Dec 28, 2016.

1. warrbuk

warrbuk

Has anyone worked up any accurate loads for the 6mm Remington with the 80 grain TTSX? I'm shooting a Rem 700 with the factory barrel.

I live in CA and were having the non lead stuff shoved down our throats..

Thanks in advance for any help.

2. stacy

stacy 2 TIMOTHY 2 VERUS 15 Silver $$ Contributor

USED THEM ALOT IN 243 WIN WITH H-414 WITH GREAT RESULTS !!!:D:D

3. Zero333

Zero333 Gold $$ Contributor

Barnes website reloading data has the 6mm Rem with 80gr TTSX...
    http://barnesbullets.com/files/2015/06/6mm-Remington.pdf

Same as Hodgdon's reloading data for the 80gr ttsx
    http://www.hodgdonreloading.com/data/rifle

I have no experience with the 6mm Rem. Sorry. Hope someone chimes in with their experience.

But... If I had a 6mm Rem. and was loading it with the 80gr ttsx, I would work with either H-4831sc, IMR-4350 or H-4350.

Barnes reloading data will tell you the maximum you should work up to with H-4831sc (51gr MAX) and IMR-4350 (47.5gr MAX).
    Now the fun starts trying to find the accuracy nodes !

Last edited: Dec 28, 2016
  4. hunter243sgk

hunter243sgk

I ran some in my 243 with imr4350. I had good groups I just am not into the Barnes myself so I didn't really work with it much but I did get them and the 85g ts to shoot good enough to hunt with.

5. snert

snert Gold $$ Contributor

I have used them in 243 Win. I used published barnes data and listened when they said to seat them deep. I NEVER measure to bullet tip, but did with these and found that Barnes was correct...just load to the OAL listed or even shorter, and stick with standard powders. They perform very well on deer sized animal, like a 100 grain standard bullet, only it sticks together.

6. AckleymanII

AckleymanII Gold $$ Contributor

Superperformance powder is the powder you want to use, you will not believe the velocity!

7. uncle crusty

uncle crusty

I have used Barnes 80 grain TTSX bullets in my old tang safety Ruger 77V using fully prepped Winchester brass, Federal BR primers, and recommended Hodgdon powders listed on Hodgdon website that provide 90 to 100% load density for the 6mm Remington.

Squeeky clean barrel shot @ 100 yards using rest and bags with wind flags and 25X magnification yielded consistent 3 shot groups of 1/2”-5/8”.

Have not tried Superperformance and can not disagree that it should work very well.

Last edited: Jan 3, 2017
  8. AckleymanII

Uncle, you are in for the shock of your life with the Superperformance...no kidding....

9. uncle crusty

uncle crusty

Ackley:

I was in shock when I switched from Nosler Ballistic tip bullets - to - Barnes 80 grain TTSX bullets. Group size closed right up!

Crusty

10. yotehater

yotehater Silver $$ Contributor

My 6mm Rem loves the Barnes bullets. 24" Varmint Special on H450 with the older 95gr X and the 85gr XBT. Yeah I stocked up.
    You just have to let them jump or pressure spikes and ruins cases. That's all I will use on game. Elk, pronghorn, deer, hogs have never needed a followup shot. I've never recovered one from any game but found a perfectly mushroomed .277" partition in the scar tissue of an old bull elk. One x bullet from a little .25-06 ended his reign.

politics aside they are damn good bullets.

11. warrbuk

warrbuk

i went out and shot some last weekend with 1.5' groups. Sounds like I need to jump them more?

12. AckleymanII

.050-.060 bullet jump from the lands is a great place to start

13. warrbuk

warrbuk

@ Ackleyman Thanks and I have some of the superperformance coming too..

14. Kurz

Kurz

HODGDON SUPERFORMANCE - 1 LB.

I had a friend drive out for a visit last year so he could spend some time shooting in the desert. He brought his 6x47 (.222Mag.) and his 6x47 Lapua with loads he had developed around the 80 gr. TTSX bullets. He had told me that he used them when he deer hunted out of his tree stand in the northeast. I was a little skeptical... so I brought along some reloading gear, two boxes of TTSX bullets and 3 more 6mm rifles consisting of a 6mm Rem., 6mm RSAUM on bolt actions and my 6x47 (.222 Mag.) on an AR platform.

He shot several excellent groups from both rifles while I was fiddling around setting up some reloading gear. The groups hovered around the 5/8" diameter with some under and just one over that. I shot my 6-222 Mag. with a 4-16x scope and a full case of Re-10x for just a tad under 3,000 fps., managing a couple of 1/2-5/8 groups also. This would make a superb deer hunting combination for the guys who like to shoot the AR platforms.

The 6mm Rem. surprised both of us since it is an older G33/40 which I had built into a custom lightweight hunting rifle for hiking. The barrel is roughly a #3 (Type E with iron sights) cut at 24" with an 8" twist. We took turns shooting several 1/2" groups but at a leisurely pace so as not to heat the barrel too fast.

The best was the 6mm RSAUM because it's a longer, heavier barrel in a modified benchrest stock which I use for prairie dogs. The twist was again an 8" for using the longer VLDs. I had put up some steel ringers at 300 and 500 yards just for fun so this was where we used the RSAUM. On paper it was shooting these lightweights at 1/2" and UNDER. On steel we managed to keep all of the shots in a nice tight cluster even at 500 yards. Re-25, IMR-7828 and VVN-165 all proved to be worthwhile.

All bullets were loaded to be at least 0.040" off the lands and still within the magazine length which is a great thing. I haven't tried Superformance either so I guess that's next up on my list.

Regards.

15. Orrin

Orrin

Hey there! I also live in Ca and yeah it sucks. Haha but I've been using Barnes 80gn ttsx for a few years and have killed a few bucks with it and they're awesome!
    I have an old Remington 660. In 6mm Remington and I shoot the 80gn ttsx using H4895 and I have consistently shot 3/8" 3 shot groups at 100 yards. It's Been some time since I've reloaded for it so I can't exactly remember how many grns of powder I use. Hope this was of some help. find any good loads yourself yet?

16. Zero333

Zero333 Gold $$ Contributor

Don't be shy to seat the TTSX a mile away from the rifling.
    I've only used TTSX in one of my 300winmags. For deer hunting, 130gr TTSX jumping them almost 1/4" at 3,550 fps out of a 24" stick. The faster they shot the better they grouped.