6MM HV Rock Creeks have arrived @ F&C!!!

Discussion in 'Commercial Sales by Paid Sponsors' started by Field & Cave, Nov 7, 2018.

1. Field & Cave

Field & Cave Site $$ Sponsor

Alex Wheeler likes this.
  2. Alex Wheeler

Alex Wheeler Gold $$ Contributor

3. Field & Cave

Thus far, we've got the following in stock for immediate shipment:
    • 6mm (.236/ .243) 1-1/4" straight x 27" 8 twist 5R - $335 - Sold out!!
    • 6mm (.236/ .243) 1-1/4" straight x 27" 8 twist 4H - $335
    • 7mm 1-1/4" Straight x 33" 8.5 twist 5R - $405
    We are only stocking Rock's SS, cut rifled, hand lapped blanks

Last edited: Nov 8, 2018
  4. boltfluter

boltfluter Gold $$ Contributor

Curious why 1.25 dia and not a HV contour? Just wondering is all.

Paul

Field & Cave likes this.
  5. Field & Cave

Because they came in first! I have twice as many HV x 29" blanks on order. Guessing they are about a month out.

The 1-1/4" straight by 27" blanks were ordered primarily with our local market in mind. We Texans that shoot Hillbilly Benchrest Break Stuff matches like our truck axles. The longest match on our circuit is 600 yards, so a few FPS lost at 26" doesn't hurt us much. Plus a 27" blank is as long as you can get without the $10/ inch premium.

6. boltfluter

boltfluter Gold $$ Contributor

I have read many good things about the Rock Creek barrels. Always nice to have another source for premium barrels.:D:D

Paul

Geno C and Field & Cave like this.
  7. IdahoSharpshooter

IdahoSharpshooter Gold $$ Contributor

Paul,

I would suggest two reasons:

1. going from the 1.25 cylinder contour to HV (or any smaller taper) is much easier than the other way.
    2. my personal favorite; if you change your mind and decide to sell it, cylinder diameter is much easier to do so than any other contour.

8. Field & Cave

The HV sixes are supposedly in final inspection. I really hope to have them soon, but Russell & Co are very, very busy. I don't want to take time from his production to answer questions on my delivery. Trying to be patient.

9. Field & Cave

HV 6mm will be in next week!!!

10. Field & Cave

FedEx just delivered anothe couple of boxes of Rocks. These are filled with 6MM HV 8TW x 29”. Some of each rifling flavor.

11. Field & Cave

12. Field & Cave

13. Ledd Slinger

Ledd Slinger Gold $$ Contributor

F&C website quote:
    "We are also very excited that Rock Creek recently collaborated with a top Montana based 1,000 yard benchrest gunsmith to develop Rock Creek's unique version of a 4 groove. Calling it the 4 Hybrid (4H for short), the drive side of the lands are square - like a traditional 4 groove barrel. The back side of the lands taper to the bore diameter..." End quote.

The "4 Hybrid" (4H) rifling sounds very familiar...That land/groove design was developed and tested many years ago. Shilen has been building barrels with ratchet rifling for a long time.

I still have a rifle with a Shilen SS match grade ratchet-rifled barrel. Its very good rifling design and that particular rifle shoots like a dream :)

DSC08713 - Copy 2.jpg

DSC08296.jpg

Last edited: Feb 12, 2019
  14. Alex Wheeler

Alex Wheeler Gold $$ Contributor

You should do some more research on how far ratchet rifling dates back, its much older than Shilen.

Last edited: Feb 11, 2019
  15. Field & Cave

4H, 5R, whatever... We've only carried these barrels for a short while, but so far, customers are very pleased with both. My next barrel will be whichever we have more of when the time comes.

The steel, the machines, the guy doing the drilling, reaming, rifling, lapping & inspecting are all the same regardless of rifling profile.

16. rardoin

rardoin Silver $$ Contributor

You are one less 7mm Rock Creek blank as of today;). I've been wanting to try one out and noticed you had a 7/8.5/1.25 straight in your possession. Now for McMillan to give me the ship notice:).