6mm Hagar

Discussion in '6PPC, 6-6.5x47, 6XC, 6 Rem, 243' started by D2x shooter, Jan 10, 2018.

1. D2x shooter

D2x shooter Gold $$ Contributor

Does anyone still use the 6mm Hagar brass? I know little about the caliber but would like to learn its history. Any good sources? Thank you.

2. TMiller

TMiller Silver $$ Contributor

I shoot a 6mm Hagar across the course in an AR15 based match rifle. Very accurate and good ballistics all the way back to 600 yards with 107 Sierra's. I've had good luck with the brass so far. I bought alot of it a couple of years ago, so not sure about availability right now.

3. Tim Singleton

Tim Singleton Gold $$ Contributor

Not sure you can find any new production brass. A buddy of mine shoots one
    Someone was selling some unfired brass on here not to long ago
    From what I understand not to easy to make it either

4. Tim Singleton

Tim Singleton Gold $$ Contributor

Will a 6x6.8 get the same job done?
    I've thought on a project like this myself

5. riflewoman

riflewoman

What will the Hagar do that a 6mm Grendel won’t? You can get all the Grendel brass you want. Hagar not so much.

6. Downhill

Downhill

Keystone Accuracy had the Hagar brass in stock a while back.

7. distinguished

distinguished

I am still using the original lot of HAGAR brass. Needless to say, it is very good stuff! I have not even started on the second production run of brass yet.
    The 6mm HAGAR was designed by my friend John Harrison. His intent was to come up with a cartridge for the AR15 platform that maximized performance at 600yds. The name HAGAR stands for HArrison Goodling Automatic Rifle. Master gunsmith Sid Goodling did the first barrel for John using a Kostyshyn barrel. It performed brilliantly. When John and I had a chance meeting in the parking lot of Sid's shop, he asked my opinion of his design and I suggested that I thought it would be beneficial to use a small rifle primer instead of the large primer used by the .30 Rem. Unfortunately, no small primer brass of appropriate size for forming the case was available at that time. John did decide to go with the small primer when he spec'd. the design for manufacture. The original cartridge used .30 Rem brass reformed. Jameson manufactured .30 Rem. brass was used for his 600yd loads. It wasn't until John and another friend, Col. Kussman USA Ret. partnered up to form H&K Associates LLC. that they were able to convince Hornady to manufacture factory brass. Hornady did mistakenly make some of the initial run of brass that was nickel plated however, it did have the benefit of making it easy to distinguish your 600yd. loads for those who have it. Dennis DeMille of Creedmoor Sports was able to get Hornady to make a second run of brass. Both factory runs of brass use small rifle primers.
    Last time I checked, factory brass was available from:
    Creedmoor Sports
    Keystone Accuracy
    and I have seen one place selling factory brass on GunBroker.

Last edited: Jan 21, 2018
    thekriebles likes this.
  8. m1jeff

m1jeff

9. thekriebles

thekriebles Silver $$ Contributor

Here's some additional info as well as reloading & performance info:

http://www.6mmar.com/6mm_HAGAR.php

10. Fast14riot

Fast14riot Silver $$ Contributor

Rumor has it that Hornady will be discontinuing Hagar brass. Heard this through the US Rifle Teams face book group. I like the idea of the 240 tomahawk, made from 6.8 brass with a 40° shoulder, or there' the 6PDK with a 30° shoulder.

11. dbduff

dbduff Gold $$ Contributor

Believe Creedmoor sports is advertising new Hagar brass as of this past weekend.
    D

12. riflewoman

riflewoman

They’ve convinced Hornady to make another run of 100,000 pieces.

13. Fast14riot

Fast14riot Silver $$ Contributor

That was pretty quick, as it was last week or week before I believe that someone spoke with Hornady and it was mentioned then.

14. lloydx2

lloydx2

The only setback with the Hagar is Long 6mm bullets have to be single loaded.
    Cartridge OAL is a real setback when trying to magazine load 6mm AR-15