6mm deer bullet- Hornady 105 amax or HPBT

Discussion in 'Varminter & Hunting Forum' started by wolfman, Sep 5, 2017.

1. wolfman

wolfman

I'm looking to work up a load in a 6-250 AI. General purpose bumming rifle, that will likely put a deer ot two in the freezer this fall. I have both 105 amax and HPBT's on the shelf. I've heard good things about both bullets, but first hand experience would be great. Rilfe has a 22" 1-8" barrel.

2. hammerjack

hammerjack Silver $$ Contributor

The 105 A-Max will knock em naked.

Dgd6mm and Downhill like this.
  3. JBT

JBT Gold $$ Contributor

105 Amax. Good performance on whitetail sized game. I've used the BTHP also. More consistent performance with the Amax. I'm very disappointed that the Amax has been discontinued. I've killed many whitetails with them from .223 80gr Amax up to 208 Amax in .308 and .300 Win Mag.

Dgd6mm and Downhill like this.
  4. Geno C

Geno C

Amax all the way. Hpbt doesn't open consistently for me

5. JBT

JBT Gold $$ Contributor

To further elaborate on the Amax...although I primarily shoot Bergers for target and matches...in my experience, Amax's have been my favorite hunting bullet I've ever used. I've been hunting the same private land since I was 6 years old. My father and I take a significant number of does each year for management purposes. I've used all sorts of bullets through the years. Amax have performed better for me, especially at longer ranges, than any bullet.

6. wolfman

wolfman

appreciate the input. We only get one deer tag a year, so there's little chance to gather data on full sized targets.