6mm Dasher Barrel Life...a story.

Discussion in '6BR, 6BR Improved & Wildcats' started by Longtrain, Sep 10, 2018.

1. Longtrain

Longtrain

I just finished my first 6mm Dasher barrel, it was a Lilja, 28" medium palma chambered with a Lapua no-turn neck and a .126 freebore. It went to barrel heaven with about 2300 rounds, they were almost all fired long range slow fire prone with 108 Grain Berger's and 32.5 grains of Norma 203B with either Tula 556M or BR4 primers. My very accurate chronograph of my loads showed a very consistent 2915 FPS before it's last match. SD's with the BR4's were 3 and the Tula's 8.

In my last 1000 yard match I shot a 1155-30X or .9625%, knocking on HM, but not quite enough. ;) My X counts have been going down since about 1500 rounds, and I have been mining copper from the barrel since it hit about 1800 rounds.

Why am I reporting this information? Searching how long a Dasher barrel should last is a crap shoot, I'm not challenging other claims, different bullet and powders, etc. change each equation. I have no basis for that but, I feel that I can give you an accurate report of how MY barrel and load performed. I'm sure that it could still work at 300 or maybe 600. My last 300 yd. string a week before that LR match was a clean with 12 x's. But at 1K, issues show up for sure.

Borescoping the barrel shows a very jagged rocky throat, lands and grooves have multiple cracks in them going about 3 inches up the barrel, from there, cracks continue, but much less.

I have two Brux heavy palma barrels ready for the gunsmith, I may have my barrel set back and use it for messing around or forming brass.

It was a good barrel, we had fun, shot with nice people and made some great memories.:)

2. Ccrider

Ccrider Gold $$ Contributor

RIP.

mikeinct and 370bc like this.
  3. johara1

johara1

It seems that cut barrels last longer than button barrels, Setting them back before the reach that stage is the the key and having you own reamer is the answer. Life goes on and you never miss a beat. instead of having a barrel on the shelf that isn't chambered is too smart, never back yourself into a corner waiting on a gunsmith to chamber a barrel..... jim

4. Joe Salt

Joe Salt Silver $$ Contributor

For what it's worth guys my buddy has a palma Krieger barrel that has been on his rifle for three and a half years and it is being shot both Light and Heavy every weekend at Pa 1000 yard club, and he is still kicking butt with it both days plus shoot offs. Don't know the exact count but it's over 2000 rounds. I believe it all has to do with the cleaning. He is very anal about doing it right and after every 15-20 rounds.

Joe Salt

dogdude and LA50SHOOTER like this.
  5. Field & Cave

Field & Cave Site $$ Sponsor

I think you did well. My first 6BR barrel was a Krieger. Got about 1,600 out of it before it went south. I thought it was a good one, so I set it back and it never reclaimed the glory. My main load was 30.8gr Varget, 450 & Bart’s 105 infinity. It’s often hot in TX and we may shoot 20 rounds in 14-ish minutes sometimes. Cleaned every 50 rounds-ish.

Judd likes this.
  6. johara1

johara1

In BR. 20 rds. go down the pipe in half that time. Like Joe said it maybe the cleaning, but I know one that doesn't clean at all for the 80 rds. and he is on years also.... go figure. jim

Stan Taylor likes this.
  7. Longtrain

Longtrain

I have to laugh about a cleaning regiment, that thread would go on forever. I usually cleaned after ~130 rounds or so, or a 2 day match. My barrels regardless of age never shot very well clean, I never went to a match without 10-15 rounds down the tube. (Maybe I didn't shoot well until 10-15 down :D)

Generally, I would use a mix of Hoppe's and Kroil 3:1, patches to clean out the powder fouling, nylon brushed with the same and patched clean. Repeat as needed. I followed with some Butch's if I suspected copper. Every 2 matches or about 300 rounds I would work the throat with Rem 40-X Bore Cleaner, followed by Hoppe's/Kroil to clean it out, dry the barrel and wait for the next match. The 40-X took out the carbon fouling in the throat that Hoppe's or Butch's didn't touch.

Back in my XTC days, a well known gunsmith recommended JB on the throat every 300 rounds, that served we well then and is why I use the 40-X on my barrel throat. I know that may open a can of worms, but IMO it hasn't caused a problem.

Last edited: Sep 11, 2018
    MTlager and FrankG like this.
  8. mikecr

mikecr

Sounds right
    BL.jpg

waybones likes this.
  9. johara1

johara1

What your standard of accuracy? mine is when they open up to a 1/4 min. they are done and 3000 rds. and never made copper, it is not uncommon unless it's a hummer I may still use it. You need to learn to clean a barrel, better and keep the carbon in check. I bet anything when you think it's worn out it is loaded with carbon..... jim

PS. you need to recrown 500-700 rds.

dmoran, Delfuego and Geronimo Jim like this.
  10. Longtrain

Longtrain

Thanks to all for your advice and insight. Keep them in the middle.

11. Geronimo Jim

Geronimo Jim Gold $$ Contributor

Thank you to the original poster and the others as well for all this good info.

12. Rushty

Rushty Silver $$ Contributor

Just curious as to recrowning at 500-700 rnds,Have you seen an improvement in accuracy from recrowning?

Cheers

13. johara1

johara1

Depends how you clean, I never pull a brush back through.... saves the crown. Patches go out the same, I never pull a patch back and forth a barrel except after it is clean and it is one time to feel if it starts to feel sticky as I pull it back slowly. If it does it is not clean and needs a little Iosso to clean out the build up that is starting and it will be a brown color. Look at a new crown with your bore scope and it will get rounded from cleaning plus firing. I found a stainless Ivy rod to be the best, and wipe it off every pass, coated rod hold dirt.
    A fresh crown alway shoots better, than a worn one, like trimmed cases shoot better.... jim

Last edited: Sep 12, 2018
    Judd and Rushty like this.
  14. JohnMill

JohnMill Gold $$ Contributor

GREAT STUFF from beginning to the end. Thanks LT and everyone else.
    John

15. moorepower

moorepower

I am in no way arguing or disagreeing but how does cleaning effect fire cracking? Really asking, no tricks.

16. powderbrake

powderbrake Gold $$ Contributor

I count all the rounds I shoot, and my Krieger 6BR had 1600 rounds before I replaced it. Groups had opened up a bit, but (I am stealing someone else's comment) I was "copper mining" after a shoot.
    I replaced a Hart 22-250 at about 1400 rounds for the same reasons

17. Dusty Stevens

Dusty Stevens COVFEFE- Thread Derail Crew Gold $$ Contributor

You can make a barrel last 18,900 rds if you dont care how it shoots. Most times we’re in denial when our barrels go south

pacificman, RV6, vahena and 2 others like this.
  18. DennisH

DennisH Life Time NRA member Gold $$ Contributor

I have experience it several times! I had several barrels that were "MOA" @ 600 yards. The next time at the line, I couldn't get near the X ring, and some were as far out as the 6 ring. Rebarreled it, and back to normal shooting!

PS: I did set the other barrel back, and it brought back it's original accuracy! I don't remember how many rounds I got out of the set back barrels! I know it was well worth my while to do so.

19. savagedasher

savagedasher

I was shooting a match at 100 yards
    The barrel had over 3000 rounds we were shooting at 50 yard 22 rim fire targets
    1 I had 18 -10 ring in a row the 19 just mad the 10 ring the 20 was 8 the 25 just hit the score rings
    Took the gun and bore scope it I had no rifeling for the first 8 “
    I had to adjust the tuner before I started

20. lloydx2

lloydx2

If your shooting F Class or Prone Sling, 20+ rounds a relay
    And you want to win. 1500 rounds