6mm Creedmoor Where to Start?

Discussion in '6PPC, 6-6.5x47, 6XC, 6 Rem, 243' started by LongRangeLarry, Mar 20, 2018.

1. LongRangeLarry

LongRangeLarry

OK guys. New here and don't have a lot of knowledge on precision shooting. was in the army for 6 years and have hunted since a kid. Always shot well as far as hunting precision goes.

Anyway. i just bought a Ruger Precision 6mm Creed and to be quite honest i really don't know where to start. I haven't even fired it yet b/c i need to buy a scope for it, but needed to save a dime first. I also have no ammo for it. So once i have glass and bullets where do i start? I live in Northeast PA. there are a few 300 yard ranges around. figure i'd zero at 100 and go from there. I don't however know how to go about getting this thing dialed in and shooting tight groups.

I've just recently started reloading some of my .223 ammo for my AR and .270 and .30-30 for hunting. that is by no means precision. I don't know where to start. i've read so many threads on here that my head is spinning.

Bi-Pod?
    Rests?
    Factory Ammo or load new?
    Barrel break in?
    Ect.

Any help would be very much appreciated.

jaygorski likes this.
  2. highplainsdrifter

highplainsdrifter

Walk before you run, kid. Everybody has to. Pick a scope. Any scope. Mount it. Go to the range. Shoot it in. Break in your rifle. Follow break in regimens here, or You-Tube or many other forums, or don't. Buy some different types of ammo. Try different loads and see what does best in your rifle. Keep records for later comparisons and analysis. Upgrade your scope later. Take a long range precision shooting introductory course from one of many vendors. Find a buddy at the range with lots of years of experience reloading. Learn from him how to make precision ammo. Acquire the equipment over time to make precision ammo.Read lots. It's a hobby. Your won't be a .3 minute shooter when you start, but if you work at it long enough, you can be. There is so much to learn, it may take you years. When you get really good, teach it to someone else. Most of all, enjoy it. Don't make it work. It is a hobby.

LGKLAS, mike a and boltfluter like this.
  3. JaoeyP

JaoeyP Silver $$ Contributor

Very good advice here. I'll add to it.

Bipod/rests- get SOMETHING. Doesn't have to be high dollar to start. A set of Caldwell Deadshot bags is a great place to start.

Factory ammo/load new- both! Go buy some factory ammo to start off with. Save your brass. When you're ready to start reloading pick one of the kits. Buy a reloading manual and read the manual. I'm not just talking about the load data, I'm talking about the instructional section in the beginning of the book. Lots of secrets in there.

Barrel break-in- not 100% convinced that it helps; 100% convinced it does not hurt

Main thing is to just get out there and do it!

4. LongRangeLarry

LongRangeLarry

Well my scope is coming Monday and as soon as I can find a place locally to get some ammo I'll be ready to go. Getting a rest from a guy on here. Need a back rest yet but I'm sure I can find one locally as well.
    Thanks for the advice. Also I ordered a reloading book and should have that before the weekend. I'm excited. Now if it would just stop snowing here I'd be good.

5. Shawnba67

Shawnba67 Silver $$ Contributor

You can buy ammo online. If you buy 3-5 boxs at a time it usually works out as a wash cost wise. Lgs usually 2-3$ more online pay shipping usually $10 for 1-5 boxs

6. wolfman

wolfman Silver $$ Contributor

As far as a rear rest goes, a big old sock full of poly bead from the carft store will get you going just fine. Have fun with the new rifle.

7. Billinoregon

Billinoregon

Don't even need polybead from the craft store. If you have a sack of dried navy beans in the back of the food cupboard, those'll work, too. Just don't get them wet or it's beanstock time.

8. mike a

mike a Gold $$ Contributor

My advice is to find a longer range. You just bought a 1000 yard guided missle launcher. 300 will get boring quick. I love my RPR 6.5. Upgrade with parts that will really help. Butt stock and forearm won't. JARD trigger will. Shoot a lot, rebarrel and shoot alot more. Keep those three bolt lugs clean and use alittle Lucas red tacky grease. They tend to gall. Cheers Mike A.

9. Hengehold

Hengehold Silver $$ Contributor

You should check out Reade Range where you can shoot in matches out to 1000yds. I know it can sound a little intimidating if you have never done it but your rig should be very capable of shooting groups at that range. Additionally, participating in a competitive sport allows one to become MUCH more proficient than when involved in casual involvement.

Here is a link to Reade Range http://www.readerange.org/

-T

10. Greg Taylor

Greg Taylor Gold $$ Contributor

what part of NEPA larry ?

11. LongRangeLarry

LongRangeLarry

Yeah I heard the jard is a must. I'll be ordering one soon.

12. LongRangeLarry

LongRangeLarry

Thanks for the link. I'm check it out now.

13. LongRangeLarry

LongRangeLarry

Palmerton. If you know where that is.

14. Greg Taylor

OH yeah, that's down by Allentown though....I consider NEPA north of I 80. I am from Bradford county originally. The Wyalusing/Towanda area

15. mikeeg02

mikeeg02 Michael Glantz Gold $$ Contributor

I would suggest shooting ground hog matches before diving right into 1,000 yards paper. You can see the effects of your loading improvements easier at shorter range, and not have as many questions as to wondering if it was something done in the loading room, or a condition you didnt see. Trying to start at 1k paper may be a little disheartening. Thats just my .02

I like to think I am very competitive at ground hog shoots, and steel silhouettes. I still have to work to try and figure out 1k paper.

Also, Mifflin County Sportsman in Burnham has a 1k range, and is a little closer to you than Reade, but they dont have pitts and such. Reade has a really nice 1k paper setup. What they do have at Mifflin is ground hog matches (200,300,500 yards) and 850-1000 steel plate shoots. You dont need to be a member to shoot at their matches. But do to shoot there if its not a match.

http://www.mifflincosportsmens.com/

They have their schedule which shows when ground hog and steel shoots are.
    Or its here

http://forum.accurateshooter.com/threads/ground-hog-shoots-mifflin-co-pa.3944745/
    http://forum.accurateshooter.com/threads/long-range-steel-shooting-mifflin-co-pa.3944744/

They have a good croud, some excellent shooters, some newer shooters and a lot of knowledge to be gained just by listening and then engaging. Always listen.

16. johara1

johara1

I would say Williamsport is closer...... jim

17. LongRangeLarry

LongRangeLarry

Well it's an hour north of Allentown, but yeah I get what you're saying.

18. LongRangeLarry

LongRangeLarry

Yeah. I didn't know about this type of shooting before but that sounds like more what I'm looking to do for starters. Thanks for the info.

19. Greg Taylor

I am prepping 2 RPR’s in 6 creedmoor, you’re more than welcome to shoot me a pm with questions. I’ll help you out

jimmymac likes this.
  20. LongRangeLarry

LongRangeLarry

What are you doing to them? What scope and rings? That's where I'm at now. I need decent rings for my vortex.
    Also where are you finding ammo?