6mm comp match won’t shoot!

Discussion in '6PPC, 6-6.5x47, 6XC, 6 Rem, 243' started by NVScout, Jan 14, 2018.

1. tonysnoo

tonysnoo Gold $$ Contributor

I agree, I shoot a variety of 6mms SLR, BRX, Fat Rat. If you can't get 108s to shoot then you have a problem elsewhere. It could be your loading technique or the barrel just isn't happy.

Something I found on one of my SLRs is when I hung a can off of the barrel, it tightened right up... crazy accurate... it rivaled my BRX. So I bought a tuner for it and wow. Now keep in mind this was a very consistent shooting rifle, but just not a one holer.

One other thing that I have seen for a number of years with hybrids. I couldn't get them happy at 100. My 100 yard groups were almost identical to my 200 yard groups (yeah, I've read all the data that say it just can't happen). I just figured I was doing something goofy. The hybrids liked my 7.5 barrels better than the 8 too. 108s just don't care.

I see we are shooting about the same speeds. My SLR has two nice nodes but I like the higher 3130ish node.

Long story short...
    Try 108s for the giggles of it
    Test your hybrids at 200.

If you live in the Northern Nevada (Reno) area and can't find any... just PM me and I'll give you a handful of 108s to try.

NVScout likes this.
  2. NVScout

NVScout

Will do ! Thanks a lot. Going back to the smith as of now, he wants the whole rig so he can get it figured out.

3. urbanrifleman

urbanrifleman Silver $$ Contributor

You only tested one bullet type and one powder?

4. MarkS

MarkS Silver $$ Contributor

NV Scout,
    I had a Bat action 6BR a few years back that shot great, I had it rechambered to a 6XC to get more speed. I never got it to shoot. I had it rechambered to a 6BRX and it was shooting again. When the 6.5 x 47 L came out, guys I was shooting with, tried the 6 X47, same thing would not run with the 6BR or 6BRX.
    Before changing anything, try some flat base bullets. I like 80 gr Berger's or 68gr, if they want shoot, it may be a bad barrel.

Mark Schronce

5. tonysnoo

tonysnoo Gold $$ Contributor

I think he was shooting amaxes with success. I never got a happy load with 1000, but the CM guys all seem to have found it to work.

NVScout likes this.
  6. NVScout

NVScout

Two bullets 108 eldm and 105 hybrid . The gun was specifically chambered for the hybrid to where I wouldn’t have to deal with dounuts, and I was already stocked up on h1000 and the hybrids. I shot the amax’s in my 243’s.

7. expiper

expiper

try 4350 before sending to gunsmith ,,,you rifle is telling you something,,,and you need to be smart enuff to listen !!!!...Roger

Last edited: Jan 16, 2018
    tuttlefarm and boltfluter like this.
  8. Willow

Willow

I'd seriously look at the Berger 108s just off the lands with H1000.

9. NVScout

NVScout

If I wanted to run 4350 I would have kept running my 243’s. The whole appeal to this cartridge was utilizing h1000 with the case capacity anailable. I tried RL26 on the first barrel with the same accuracy but the throat definitely showed it after just 200 rounds down it. I think 4831 would be more suitable than 4350 IMO. Rifle shipped out today and I will post updates when I get them.

10. mgunderson

mgunderson sling shooter Gold $$ Contributor

May want to try a different powder (my opinion). 26 inch barrel? Not sure how the slow powders handle the short length. Trying n160 in the slr with hybrids. 300 m has been excellent. Was trying n165 and the burn was slow on my barrel. Velocity was good, but the combustion was..... not perfect. Might have been neck tension or a barrel slow to break in.

J Fogg and NVScout like this.
  11. 1lnbrdg

1lnbrdg

I really liked the N-165 in my SLR but the price/lb is prohibitive. It would sure be better if they sold it in 8 lb jugs.

N-160, shows to be on the cooler burning side of the temp charts but I had issues with it cooking my throat like H-4350.

12. Zero333

Zero333 Gold $$ Contributor

I've had barrels that didn't like H-1000 or 105 Hybs.
    107 smk with H-4831 or RL-25.
    I did get the 105 Hybs shooting with RL-25 but it was a mild load so I said f*ck it.

13. searcher

searcher

Building a gun around a particular powder is fraught with the chance of what you seem to be encountering. The gun seemingly doesn't like the powder/bullet combo. I think 1/3 into what you shot showed that clearly. If the smith finds no bedding or other issues with the gun/barrel, if it were mine, I'd have him cut 1/2" off the end of the tube and re-crown. Lose a few FPS but will change the vibe, maybe to the better and especially if it was not cut to clear the lapping end. If it got worse, I'd yank the barrel.

NVScout likes this.
  14. Hoser

Hoser

I have had great luck with Sierra 107s and 115 DTACs using Lapua brass, H-1000 and Federal primers. Even fire forming loads went inside 1/2 MOA.

I suggest a couple things.

Have someone else shoot it.
    Try a different scope.
    49 gns of H-1000 under a 105/107/108/115.

15. NVScout

NVScout

Two barrels that won’t shoot 105’s is hard to believe. I think there is something else going on, the v block design chassis or maybe the chamber neck is just too tight. Not sure but I am sure he will figure it out.

16. jimmymac

jimmymac Silver $$ Contributor

Hoser said it. If you have another scope sitting around, I'd try that first. It costs zero dollars, andis a simple box to check off as you dig into the problem.

17. NVScout

NVScout

That was one of the first things I tried.

18. 6xcshooter

6xcshooter

shoot H4831 and try sierra 108 and berger 105 classic hunter.

19. Milo 2.0

Milo 2.0 Gold $$ Contributor

Could you post a pic of a loaded rd and a spare bullet with the nose butted up against something? I think your freebore is way to short, I may be wrong.
    In the last 3 yrs, I've been in charge of load dev for many 6mm's shooting hybrids, SLR's, XC's, 6x47's, 6 creeds, and comp match(3 barrels), every one of them shoots lights out with .012" jump, just like clockwork, not a difference in lot #'s either.

20. KMart

KMart Gold $$ Contributor

Early on, you mentioned that the chamber was a .274 neck. What is the neck size of your loaded round and how much neck tension are you using?