6mm comp match won’t shoot!

Discussion in '6PPC, 6-6.5x47, 6XC, 6 Rem, 243' started by NVScout, Jan 14, 2018.

1. NVScout

NVScout

Who else has had issues with this chambering ?? I’ve ran almost 500 berger 105’s down two different barrels and have yet to find a consistent ACCURATE load ! I have only ran H1000 but have tried both fed 210 and 215’s with no avail. I’ll do a OCW test and find a .7 gr window with single digit ES’s, load up 25 in the middle of that node and do a seating depth test just to find out they all shoot .5-1” 5 shot groups. Not a single group out of probably 100 have shot over 1” but none have shot under 1/2”.
    I’ve tried the 108 eldm with similar results. The rifle is a trued rem 700, pinned lug, PTG bolt and have had a bartlien med Palma 8T and a KP med Palma 8T. The action sits in a MPA chassis and I use a razor gen 2 3x18. Not sure what to do next .... spend more money and time on different powder/bullet combos hoping to find the golden ticket or just give up and rechamber to 6x47 or 6creed !! The phots were from the last outing. Round count is now exactly 310 on the KP barrel

Attached Files:

2. NVScout

NVScout

Forgot to mention it’s a 26” tube the reamer is a .110 FB with a .276 NK using Norma brass

3. J Fogg

J Fogg

PM sent, try sierra 107 works very well for me
    Joe

4. AckleymanII

AckleymanII Gold $$ Contributor

Those groups are changing positions on the paper quite a bit, is your range very windy? What is the predominant wind direction?

5. NVScout

NVScout

It was dead calm. 2nd photo is two charge weights with seating depth test.

6. GSPV

GSPV A failure to plan is a plan for failure. Gold $$ Contributor

Just my opinion from a distance, but my first thought is that if it won't shoot with that cartridge, it won't shoot with another.

7. boltfluter

boltfluter Gold $$ Contributor

I would check the bedding and skim bed if needed. May not help, but certainty won't hurt if done correctly. If the action is in the slightest bind it will not shoot/vibrate consistently. Good luck.

Paul

Zero333 and JBT like this.
  8. NVScout

NVScout

Why is that ? 2 straight 243’s shot extremely well On that setup. Neither were picky or hard to tune.

Last edited: Jan 14, 2018
  9. Dgd6mm

Dgd6mm Silver $$ Contributor

I've never seen a Comp Match shoot like that with so many different charge weights. Then, I've never known one to have been loaded with Federal primers either. Not saying you can't make them work, just have never known someone to use them in this cartridge. I started with CCI Br2, then Tula LRM. I have shot some with Winchester LR and they were good also. My newest barrel (fourth) will see Tula LRM and H1000. This cartridge likes about a .030 jump.

My other Comp Match barrel finished its life in a MPA chassis.

10. NVScout

NVScout

I tried .030 in the jump test. In hindsight I should not have been stubborn, trying to force a bullet to shoot that won’t just doesn’t work. I had a 6.5x284 I wasted tons of time on trying to make the hornady 143 ELD-X shoot and it flat out wouldn’t, it had similar results to what you see here. Long story short I swapped to 140 elite hunters and it liked every charge I threw at it!

11. Dgd6mm

Dgd6mm Silver $$ Contributor

I thought about suggesting to try another bullet, but figured you had the same thought. My one buddy that shoots one has shot many different bullets thru his first barrel, all shooting good. I have shot the DTAC, Hornaday 105 bthp match, Hornaday Amax 105 all successfully.

muleystalker likes this.
  12. carlsbad

carlsbad Lions don't lose sleep over the opinions of sheep. Silver $$ Contributor

I've only had one rifle that wouldn't shoot like you describe. It was a 6 slr. I believe I overheated the barrel (long story) at a 1000 yd match. After that I couldn't get consistent velocities and group size went up. You never mentioned velocity. So you have a good SD?

Anyway, I retired the barrel. The commonality is that I was also using H1000. You might try another powder.

-Jerry

geraldgee likes this.
  13. NickB1075

NickB1075 Gold $$ Contributor

Why did you spend so much time and money shooting those components? There are a bazillion different combinations. I would recommend trying a different one.

I usually know whithin about 50 to 100 if something is not going to work out. Sometimes even less.

Nick

Zero333 and billlarson like this.
  14. GSPV

Because those groups have a metric buttload of horizontal and show "two grouping". That's not "tune". At least not in the final tune sense. Something is way out of whack.

My son's 260 barrel is like that. God knows why, but it won't shoot the Berger 140 VLD that it was throated specifically for unless it's jammed...hard. I certainly don't want that. We had to go to a more forgiving bullet design to get it to settle down.

Here is the original thread on the cartridge. http://forum.accurateshooter.com/threads/6cm-testing-results.3783720/

If it was me, and, admittedly, I'm not a 6 CM guy, I'd load a window around 49 grains of H1000, a 107 SMK at 30 off, and see what happens.

Dgd6mm likes this.
  15. urbanrifleman

urbanrifleman Silver $$ Contributor

Life is short.

txdan, Mudhead and NVScout like this.
  16. NVScout

NVScout

I plan on giving them a go. That’s funny about the hard jam. That’s was the only time this rifle shot half decent was Fire forming.[/QUOTE]

17. NVScout

NVScout

Velocitys are in the pictures. 47.5 was pretty consistent single digit

18. GSPV

I've got to admit that I'm not a fan of VLD designs. I don't have enough free time to get them to shoot. My life is super busy and I need something flat out forgiving.

NVScout likes this.
  19. urbanrifleman

urbanrifleman Silver $$ Contributor

I went to 108 Bergers and my life became much more simple. I never got 105s to shoot.

NVScout likes this.
  20. NVScout

NVScout

I agree ! I used to shoot amax’s with great success but ran out and thought I’d give the hybrids a go. I thought the 105 hybrids were supposed to be very forgiving. And the Reamers was for the hybrids