6mm Bullet for Deer this fall

Discussion in 'Varminter & Hunting Forum' started by NCVarhtr, Sep 3, 2017.

1. Mark W

Mark W Silver $$ Contributor

I like Sierra 100 Gr SBT Gamekings in a .243.

2. NCVarhtr

NCVarhtr Gold $$ Contributor

Has anyone tried/used the Berger 87 GR VLD on Deer or anything else. Wondered how it performs?

3. agr516

agr516

I have shot a few with the 105 berger hybrid from a 243ai. I was very happy with the results

JBT and timeout like this.
  4. stacy

stacy 2 TIMOTHY 2 VERUS 15 Silver $$ Contributor

THEY HAD PRINTED SOME GOOD GROUPS FOR ME BUT NO GAME YET

5. timeout

timeout Silver $$ Contributor

I worked up a good load of the Berger 87 grain HVLD'S for a pencil barreled Ruger Hawkeye Compact .243, but the owner is a rookie and can't hit the broad side of a barn with the doors closed! :( He finally did hit one at about 50 yards and the damage was extensive.

6. JLT

JLT Gold $$ Contributor

I like this one, too. Nice bullet.

7. TheOtherZilla

TheOtherZilla

95 Nosler partition gets it done..

IdahoSharpshooter likes this.
  8. Mikemci

Mikemci

100 gr. Nosler Partition, 6mm Remington.

IdahoSharpshooter likes this.
  9. KwGoch

KwGoch

I hunted deer for several years starting out with 95gr Nosler Ballistic Tips. I never had an issue with deer, but I did have one blow up on the shoulder of an impala and fail to penetrate.

ShootDots likes this.
  10. ShootDots

ShootDots Gold $$ Contributor

I have shot several deer with a 6mm Rem A.I. many moons ago. Deer are pitifully fragile animals when hit correctly with a good bullet. They are thin-skinned with thin bones. Their only strength is a large "knuckle bone" in the shoulder. This is where things can get dicey if the proper bullet is not used. A REAL STORY as a real life example: I was using the 95gr "Combined Technology Ballistic Silver-Tips" going 3400f.p.s. out of that 6mm Rem. A.I. I was on an Axis hunt and a GORGEOUS "Gold Book" Trophy, with Ivory white Antlers, stuck his forequarters out from behind a tree. He was a "stones-throw" away at 150 yards. I could place the 95grainer in his neck, he would collapse immediately and I would ruin the cape on this magnificent animal. OR I could put it into the "shoulder knuckle" and save the cape. I chose the latter. That 95 gr hit him so hard it literally sounded like a broken baseball bat! He went down and did not twitch>>>for about 3 minutes! Then he jumped up and took off like a scalded monkey! Six (6) hours later and then 1/2 of the next day produced NOTHING! I later found out that he survived but had a horrible black area on his shoulder the size of a pie plate!

Nothing made me more sick than that fiasco! From that point forth, I used only bullets that will penetrate from ANY angle as well as smash ANY bone and get to the vitals! This is why I am a fan of either Partitions or any of the "bonded-core" bullets, even the Barnes Triple Shock, although this may be a bit of an over-penetrator which may not open quickly enough to transmit the necessary shock and tissue destruction on a small animal. If, and this could be a BIG "IF", all the "frangible" bullets are placed into the rib cage, into the heart / lung area, they are spectacular killers. But have one of those hit that shoulder knuckle and you may be in for a very unpleasant surprise! Just my 2 cents BUT it is based on a real situation..

msinc and Mikemci like this.
  11. FJIM

FJIM

You mean like a Berger VLD

284winner likes this.
  12. IdahoSharpshooter

IdahoSharpshooter Gold $$ Contributor

I load for three great-nieces and granddaughters with the Partition in 243 and 6 Remy. Twenty-some deer in the last ten seasons, and not one moved after hitting the ground, dead on impact.

Mikemci likes this.
  13. hunter243sgk

hunter243sgk

The 95g nbt has worked great for me. But i had to learn to not run them faster than 2900-3000 at short ranges. As they will blow up. But at those speeds they kill very well. This year i am going to try the 105hvlds and see how i like them on deer.

14. NCVarhtr

NCVarhtr Gold $$ Contributor

Has anyone tried the 85 GR Nosler Partition ....Lots of comments about the 95 Gr Part. and 100 Gr Part. but very little about the 85 GR Partition.

rebel likes this.
  15. waverly

waverly Gold $$ Contributor

I like 90 grn. Scirroco , and 95 grn. Hornady SST. Both do well with my 6 Remington, or my 6X47.

Waverly

16. swd

swd Gold $$ Contributor

I've shot deer with both from the same rifle. The 95 will penetrate all the way through when the 85 stops against the hide on the other side. Dead either way but I prefer a hole all the way through to bleed out faster and leave more blood trail if need be. Both do a great job inside on the heart and lungs.

17. rebel

rebel Silver $$ Contributor

I've killed a lot of deer with the 243 and a 85 gr. Nos Part. Kills them dead and I have never recovered a bullet even at 150 yards through both shoulders. All you see is hooves in the air.

18. GSPV

GSPV

I've shot a truck bed full of whitetail with the Sierra 85 gr HPBT and the Nosler 95 gr partition.

The Sierra is great as long as you can do the neck or double lung. Else, they will not exit and will destroy a lot of meat.

The Nosler is not as violent. They give you more options for shot selection including the high shoulder. You will usually get an exit hole and the subsequent easy blood trail if it isn't a bang/flop.

19. DNorton

DNorton

I finally shot up the old school 100gr Solid Base bullets I had stashed. Worked well for me on mulies, wt and antelope. Now shoot exclusively 80gr Barnes ttsx at those animals, also with excellent results. Both bullets almost always exited regardless of angle.

20. Intheshop

Intheshop

80's 6mm 700V,with a drop dead Redfield 5star 6-18 bought here.

RCBS 95g cast....with all the bells N whistles wrt swaging processes,zero run out coming off the seating die....will make you honestly slackjaw at the accuracy.Do anything wrong on the hold and it's on paper.

Sorry,killing time inthesh...