6CM Banned from Mineral Wells

Discussion in '6PPC, 6-6.5x47, 6XC, 6 Rem, 243' started by joesr, Mar 11, 2007.

1. jclin

jclin

Lesley--great shooting sunday, with the .308. Lesley cleaned house with a new .308 in the Tactical class. He previously cleaned house with the 6cm. The 6cm is NOT allowed in the "Tactical" class as the T/R class is designated for .223 and .308 with front bipod. If you want to shoot with a front rest or other calibers, then you're in F class/open. I don't think that 6cm is banned. There are many others who shoot 6, 6.5's, etc, in standard loadings and in wildcats. Les- great shooting again. Let's try it next time with a sling and the Mk I. eyeballs!!! LOL.

2. steve_podleski

steve_podleski

3. jclin

jclin

these are club prone matches, and have been shot at various distances and targets, more recently it has been a 300 meter international target reduced for 300 yd as well as the new 500 yd NRA target. It is an informal club match, but classifications are divided for f/open, f/tr, match rifle and service rifle to let different shooters compete within their own group.

4. FrankintheLaurelMts

FrankintheLaurelMts

So why don't our special forces and snipers use the most accurate rounds..if the 6CM and 6.5x284 clean the clocks of the3 .223's and .308's why aren't we using them ???? This just doesn't make any sense..OH well, guess it's the guys in charge again..

5. 1) Logistics.

2) A battlefield is not a target range.

3) There are several specialized rifles and rounds to match them available on request for certain conditions by unit commanders from SOCOM. The M248 Mk0 .300WM sniper round is but one example.

4) Any problems that our snipers MIGHT be having in the field today are due to improper employment of their skils, and not due to shortcomings in their equipment.

6. jclin

jclin

Accuracy isn't a problem with a well tuned .308. Consider 1 MOA at 1k is 10", which will put the bullet on some guys torso. Reading the wind and conditions, and fieldcraft to get into position, take the shot, and leave undetected is the challenge. At extended ranges, the smaller calibers do not have the terminal ballistics necessary to do the job, hence some of the big boy rounds like the 300 WM or .338 Lapua mag for long range work.

7. Shady_Jay

Shady_Jay

I have been a member here for a long time. I think this is my first post but I will weigh in here. I started shooting at Fort Wolters,Mineral Wells) over a year ago and met Lesley and competed against him regularly. Lesley is a better shot than me and his reloading skills are incredible. I was always just a few points behind him in competition. Early last fall he shows up with his new 6CM and kicked all of our butts so bad it was mind boggling. He shot a perfect score with like 45/60 X rings at 600+ yds

It was nuts. I think they are afraid that 6CM shooters will scare the rest of us away. Now before anyone says I am pimping this round... I shoot .308 and will always shoot .308. All this did was make me study and practice harder to beat this round. But my only chance would be to hit more X-rings.

Bottom line... if any one asks me what the most accurate round is... I tell them the 6CM if you are shooting past 500 yds and want barrel life beyond a 6.5X284.

8. JeffT

JeffT Silver $$ Contributor

so what kind of competition is this? F-class, tactical, out of a sling ??????

9. Shady_Jay

Shady_Jay

Known Distance range from 300-1000 at Fort Wolters

http://www.fwssc.org/

It is divided into classes. Palma, tactical, F, service, prone bench, etc.

10. So now Lesley is shooting a .308 in these competitions and hasn't yet been beat using it. That proves to me that it's the man behind the trigger that counts. What are they going to do now - ban Lesley?

GSPV likes this.
  11. LESLEY

LESLEY

SHHHHHHUUUSH don't give them any ideas

johnfred1965 likes this.
  12. Shady_Jay

Shady_Jay

lol We will ban him when he quits teaching me stuff..lol I'll get him eventually with my .308

johnfred1965 likes this.
  13. SteveUrban

SteveUrban

For those of you that have not read the new "F" class rules here is a link. http://www.long-range.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=7494

Cheers,
    Steve Urban
    President, FWSSC.

14. steve_podleski

steve_podleski

How is prone bench different from F-Class?
    What is tactical? Is it F-Class/TR?

15. Shady_Jay

Shady_Jay

I guess what I meant was there are bench rest rifles out there but you shoot from the prone.

16. steve_podleski

steve_podleski

In other words, F-Class open.

How are the tactical rifles shot? With a bipod and scope?

17. Stockholder

Stockholder

I am the match director for the Stockholder matches described in your forum "6cm banned from Mineral Wells.",Ft. Wolters)

It has been my experience that before entering any competition it serves me well to familiarize myself with the rules of said competition. In this case, a reading of the official Stockholder match bulletin and the NRA Highpower Rule Book would have clarified most, if not all, of the issues brought out in this forum. Wild speculation and innuendo could have been avoided.

Please note:
    ,1) The 6cm HAS NEVER BEEN BANNED at said matches. 6cm falls in the NRA match rifle class and the NRA F-Open class.
    ,2) The Stockholder official match bulletin is taped to the registration table behind the firing line where competitors sign up. 300 of said bulletins were sent out at the beginning of the year.
    ,3) The match starts at 1300 hours after the military leaves the base. I run 2 relays to save time. One pulling targets the other firing. This is a fun relaxed match with a lot of new shooters.
    ,4) ALL COMPETITORS ARE ON THE HONOR SYSTEM. YOU DECLARE YOUR RIFLES CLASS AT REGISTRATION AND YOU KEEP YOUR OWN SCORE.
    Your signature on your score card designates that it is a true and accurate accounting of your score.

The last NRA registered tournament at Ft. Wolters was this past February. Mr. Hendricks might check the F-Open scores at that match.

If anyone is interested in seeing the 2006 and 2007 Stockholder match bulletins please contact me. stockholder@sbcglobal.net

Should anyone like to be on my match reminder list of upcoming events at Ft. Wolters please state so in your e-mail and I will add your name to such. Ft. Wolters is 40 miles west of Ft. Worth, Tx. I'll also send you a photo of the range.

18. So it appears that the 6CM cartridge was NOT banned from the match, but only placed in the class that it belonged in to begin with?

Now my question is - was the OP in this thread only mistaken about the circumstances or did he purposely post that 'his' cartridge was banned from the match because it was winning in an effort to stir up more interest in the cartridge, much as a publisher would if his book was banned?

Inquiring minds want to know;)

DNorton and dkhunt14 like this.
  19. milanuk

milanuk Team Savage Gold $$ Contributor

It took you this long to figure that out?!? ;)

dkhunt14 likes this.
  20. I'm normally not so naive. In fact I've been accused of being both cynical and overly sceptical on some of these boards and was just trying to find a more "civilized" way of throwing a BS flag this time out ;)