6CM Banned from Mineral Wells

Discussion in '6PPC, 6-6.5x47, 6XC, 6 Rem, 243' started by joesr, Mar 11, 2007.

1. joesr

joesr

Apparently the 6CM has caused a change to the tactical matches at Mineral Wells.

After winning 9 straight matches, with winning scores from the 6CM, the match director has decided to limit the participation to 223, 308 and 30-06 only.

As I understand it the reason for this change is the domination of the 6CM in these matches.

In my eyes this is great!

The 6CM is proving to be a real power in all shooting sports.

Joe Hendricks
    6CM@comcast.net

2. mikecr

mikecr

Maybe they came to the decision to use 'Tactical' cartridges because tactical shooters are limited to such in the real world..

For example, there are no 6PPCs or 6.5x284s used by SWAT teams. Right?

Just a thought

3. M700

M700

Well, maybe that's why. But I haven't seen a .30-06 used in a tactical role in a very long time either. Do know of law enforcement types who break away from the standard .308 every now and again. Have heard of the 6mm Rem, .270 Win and 7mm Rem mag being used.

Looks like that 6mm is making some waves!

Regards, Guy

4. rcw3

rcw3 Site $$ Sponsor

Joe

As I understand it, in reality, the true "tactical" shooters do not use wildcat cartridges because of the need to be able to use issued, factory or military ammo, or to be able to borrow ammo from a tactical team member if necessary. I suspect some of the shooters competing with the conventional cartridges,.223, 308, etc.) voiced complaints to the organizers concerning an unfair advantage,which a 6CM would clearly have over a .223, .308, 30-06) and that nudged the decision the way it went.

With my 6CM, I can easily accurately drive a 6mm 115 gr DTAC, 3000+ fps, and with little recoil, so the enhanced cartridge performance does offer a significant inherent advantage over a .223, a .308, and a 30-06,i.e. they're not even in the same performance league as a 6CM).

Robert Whitley

5. SDB777

SDB777

Are the shooters required to use only factory ammunition at the matches, or do the .223Rem, .308Win, and .30-06 guy use reloaded ammunition?

Sounds like the cartridge is going to dominate.....where can I get information on this cartridge?

Scott B

6. tightneck

tightneck Gold $$ Contributor

The question I have is what has this shooter been shooting against in the competitions? Is this a pick-up type match with a bunch of guys shooting factory rifles or is he facing fierce competition? I've never heard of Mineral Wells, so forgive me because I know nothing of the range or competitors. If he's shooting against custom barreled rifles and good shooters, then I'd say it's time to take notice of the cartridge. If not well...

7. Nomad

Nomad

My question is was the same matches last year open to any other calibers before?

If not and all of a sudden the 6cm has been winning and noone can beat it then sounds to me like they are changing the rules to gain a edge back.

Not fair if that is the case!!

Sounds like the 6cm is doing what its suppose to a be and look forward to what else this round is capable off.

8. Rob01

Rob01

Seems like some sour grapes to me. Anyone wanting to protest just don't go to the match anymore and push others not to either. They'll feel the pressure when no one shows up. I just started shooting a .243 with the 115s at 2960fps so they'll ban me to but I wouldn't attend with those rules. Many other matches out there.

9. LESLEY

LESLEY

i am 1 of the people that was shooting a 6cm at fort wolters. Ever since these matches started you could shoot what ever you wanted to in tact. class so long as it was shot with a bipod and repeater action.These matches have been shot 1 to 2 times a month for the last year. There have been guys shooting 6 brs and 260. Now you can only shoot a 223, 308, or a 30/06.Why your guess is as good as mine. What i have understoud is the tactical rifle is a style bipod, repeater action the looks and use make it what it is. But i does not really matter i have a new bat repeater 28 inch 12 thist 308 with a carbon fiber stock i just got to shoot in this match. I also have a new bat action im looking at that i will have made into a 30/06 the 223 bat wont be here until around may.

10. Rob01

Rob01

30-06 with a 190 or 210 Berger VLD at about 2950fps for the 190 and 2850fps for the 210 would do real well but then they would proably ban those and make it 22LR only ;)

11. Mark Walker in TX

Mark Walker in TX

For those who don't know, the OP is the creator of the cartridge, and has been pimping it here for some time now. This post comes across as a bit of a shill post, if you ask me.

For Mr. Hendricks, you sure seem to use this forum to try and sell your product often, maybe you could at least become a site contributor, and IMO, you really should be a site sponsor if you want to continue your "selling."

Paul, if I am out of line, just delete this post.

Mark

6.5creed likes this.
  12. Rob01

Rob01

Walker I knew who the original poster is as my two team mates are using his round but even though he might have an agenda the bottom line is that a round is being banned because it's winning. Should they ban the 6XC at Camp Perry becasue Tubb is winning with it? People wanted a ballistically superior round and got one and it seems to work. Is it a round used for a tactical rifle? It could be. AI offers thier AW in .243 so the 6mm bullet is being used.

13. M700

M700

I've used a 7mm Rem mag as a SWAT rifle myself. It has some advantages over a .308 in windy, longer-range conditions. HSM produces an excellent 7mm Rem mag LE round. Know of one prison that had custom .270 Winchester rifles as their tower guns. Quite a few years ago a nasty little problem was solved at a nearby jail by a LE rifleman with a 6mm Remington...

Most of us SWAT guys do use the .308, with a very much smaller percentage using the .223 in precision rifles. Now and again, it makes sense to use something else. Look at all the different cartridges Remington offers in their 700 Police rifle. Quite a variety, all the way up to .300 RUM. The rifle is marketed straight at the LE market.

Handloaded ammo? Not the norm, but not all that many years ago there was a department loading their own. They went to the extent of having it tested at one of the big ballistics labs too. Personally, I'm very happy with the .308 match ammo avail commercially.

Logistics demanded that we had only 7.62 rifles and ammo in the Marines, which was completely understandable.

Didn't want to sidetrack the thread, or turn this into Snipers Hide, but thought the point needed to be made that yes, some have, and do use different ammo/rifles from the normal factory-loaded .223 and .308 Win. Most "tactical" comps I shoot have a wide variety of cartridges up and down the line, from .223's to .338 Lapua magnums, including .243's and various 6.5's as well.

Regards, Guy

14. It looks to me like ALL rounds other than the .223, .308. and .30-'06 have been banned from this match. Admittedly, the 6CM has been winning regularly, but to assume that it was singled out for repeatedly winning could be a giant leap of ego unless the organizers of the event specifically say that's true.

Say, I have a great idea! Why not contact them and ask them to state their reasons?

15. joesr

joesr

Wow!!!

I am the creator of this cartridge and I have used this board and NationalMatch.us to get the word out about the expectations,initially) and now the results of this cartridge.

I am only making a few dollars on every chambering. I am working with David Bruno, a great gunsmith, and the prices we are selling his work at is what he prices the work to anyone who walks in the door to have work done. Dave, for lack of a better word, pays me for my effort in getting shooters to use his services.

I posted this after my customer called me and told me the story. I thought it to be comical.

The matches being shot, never had a restriction until my customers won 9 matches in a row,all information I'm getting not checked, but I have every reason to believe it is true) with my cartridge. It is possibly Lesley and company could have won these matches with another cartridge.

However, I am not pimping anything!
    I developed this cartridge for my own use after 2 years of shooting the 6XC and being very disappointed with the barrel life,incredibly satisfied with the accuracy).

I have explained exactly what the cartridge is,so that anyone can make a reamer an copy it) and how to load for it and clean it in many post. I will not share the drawing as I put much time into it and I still have an agenda towards winning my own matches.

I don't know why the hundreds or thousands of other simular 6mm cartridges are not showing the same results on the target. Possibly it is more the shooter than the cartridge. Or possibly this cartridge has found a "sweet spot" in the 6mm realm. Either way this is all fun for me.

If you read this post I never put any contact information into the post nor did I tell anyone where or how to get a 6CM nor did try to sell anything at any time. Pimping would have required a big sell at the end of my post.

Also, you should notice that for,I'm guessing 6 months) I have not tried to sell anything. I’m done trying to get people interested in the 6CM. If you are you are and if you are not, maybe you will be later, or you are not. Regardless, my information is out there and you can find me.

I started all of this trying to prove a point. That a 6mm cartridge could shoot well over 3000 fps with a 107 or 115 and yield over 3000 round per barrel while being incredibly accurate. ,actual barrel life is yet to be determined as no one has shot out a 6CM barrel to date)

I've proven my point to many shooters.

So if people what to search me out and have David Bruno build them a great rifle or chamber a great rifle in 6CM they can find me.

Money was never a motivating factor in anything I’ve done or posted.
    Honestly, the biggest motivating factor was that I was frustrated by my feeling people were wasting money and time on the 6XC due to barrel life and people shooting the 6BR in 600 yard and longer matches were wasting their money because of the ability to shoot at higher velocities with the same or better accuracy and better barrel life.
    The only way to get people to start to understand that this idea works was to pound the boards with information and to provide a place to buy the cartridge.

Trying to explain myself is probably a waste of time, but I take great offence to you saying that I’m pimping the 6CM to make money.

I got into this mess to prove what I knew to be true and if I had never started this no one would know.

Joe Hendricks

16. Mark Walker in TX

Mark Walker in TX

I am the creator of this cartridge and I have used this board …..

I am only making a few dollars on every chambering.

The matches being shot, never had a restriction until my customers won 9 matches in a row…

I will not share the drawing…

I don't know why the hundreds or thousands of other similar 6mm cartridges are not showing the same results on the target.

…possibly this cartridge has found a "sweet spot" in the 6mm realm.

If you read this post I never put any contact information into the post,...6CM@comcast.net...)

,I'm guessing 6 months) I have not tried to sell anything.

I've proven my point to many shooters.

I was frustrated by my feeling people were wasting money and time on the 6XC due to barrel life and people shooting the 6BR in 600 yard and longer matches were wasting their money because of…

The only way to get people to start to understand that this idea works was to pound the boards with information and to provide a place to buy the cartridge.

I take great offence to you saying that I’m pimping the 6CM to make money.

17. LESLEY

LESLEY

If i am wrong Joe correct me. But i have had a lot of guns built and a few i only had bbls put on. Most are 6cm out of all that the only money i have sent to you is the money for 1 set of dies.I could be wrong but you could not have made much if any after the phpone calls you have made to me to answer questions off of the 1 set of dies. So i don't see how you could be in it for the money.

18. DukeDuke

DukeDuke

What exactly is a 6CM?

19. milanuk

milanuk Team Savage Gold $$ Contributor

Maybe you should try the 'Search' function? Many, many posts on it.

20. DukeDuke

DukeDuke

Found it! What a nice round!

Thanks!