6BRAI nodes

Discussion in '6BR, 6BR Improved & Wildcats' started by Steelnecktie, Sep 7, 2017.

1. Steelnecktie

Steelnecktie Silver $$ Contributor

Just wondering, are any of you guys shooting the 3080 fps. node? I've fireformed my brass, barrel finally quit picking up speed around 125rds. I've tried different seating depths around 2990 node, and nothing really great, pretty consistent around .35 MOA
    Seems to shoot about .3 MOA at 3080fps node. Just thought it would do better at 125yds.
    Barrel is 1:7.5 twist 29.5" and using Varget powder, BR4 primers and Berger 105VLD Hunting bullets.
    Thinking at this point I may need to switch powder or bullets to improve groups. May go out tomorrow and shoot at 550yds with 3080 loads and see how it holds together at distance.
    ???? What would be your next approach????

2. johara1

johara1

RL-15, H4895 and 8208 xbr.....They shoot better slower..... Jim

3. Steelnecktie

I may have to try some H4895 sometime.
    I took it out at 530 yards today to shoot a ladder with powder charges from 31.5 to 32.5 in .1gr increments. To my surprise, it was only 4.5" vertical between all shots. 9 of the 11 shots were within 2" vertical.
    Had 5rds. of 32gr. and 5rds. of 33.1gr. and shot them while out at 530yds.
    The 32gr. @ 2990fps was a 1.5" group.
    The 33.1gr. @ 3100fps was 1.25" group.
    I don't quite understand how the groups at 125yds. are .3 to .4 MOA and same load at 530yds is .2 MOA.
    The 33.1gr. load was actually running about 3100fps today with 78° temp and hot barrel laying in sun.
    After seeing the groups out at 530yds. today, this is plenty good for shooting F-class at 600. I don't shoot benchrest, so no need to go any further with shrinking groups.
    I would still like to read some of your guys thoughts on this. @Alex Wheeler, thanks for answering couple questions on phone about this chamber. First time I've used 2 reamers and 2 go gauges to do 1 chamber.

Alex Wheeler and sean68 like this.
  4. MrMajestic

MrMajestic Gold $$ Contributor

How's extraction up there?

5. Steelnecktie

It's still easy, I'm shooting a Borden drop port, so there is no ejector, just a claw extractor. There is just a hint of extractor mark on maybe 1 out of 5 pieces of brass. You have to look pretty hard to find it. I would have no problem running that 3100fps. node as a regular load. I've loaded same shell 6 times at that speed and still has a good snug primer pocket.

6. johara1

johara1

Do what you want but .3 to .4 at 125 ain't getting it, a .5 to .6 at 500 is. It isn't a race,BTW way what are using to get your speed? Jim

Terry Altom likes this.
  7. johara1

johara1

Remember, you can't beat a condition with speed, Accuracy trumps all...... if they are asleep they cut through the wind better...... Jim

Northridge, holstil and Alex Wheeler like this.
  8. Steelnecktie

Ok, went out with 22rds. this morning to confirm 3100fps load.
    1st cold bore shot, little high. Came down 1 click
    2nd shot, little high still. Came down 1 click.
    Shot the other 20rds into 1.75 vertical and 2.75 horizontal @ 520yds.
    Don't shoot that good at 125yds, but I'll take those 520yd groups all day long.
    I'll get pic up in a bit

Last edited: Sep 9, 2017
    tclaunch likes this.
  9. BoydAllen

BoydAllen Gold $$ Contributor

A friend and some of his buddies, shoot steel plates (6") from 600 to 1,200 yards. Previously he had been pushing the envelop trying to make the highest BC 6mm bullets go as fast as he could with reasonable accuracy, up to the point where jacket fouling in a 50 round string would cause problems. I introduced him to the 6BRA (Thank you Alex and Tom.). He bought a reamer, and is amazed at the accuracy, both near and far. He is now firmly convinced that shooting accurately under 3,000 fps is the better way to go. His results prove it. He and his friends have been doing this for some time, and have tried a variety of calibers and case designs, both standard, Ackley, and true wildcat. He is shooting Varget, sizing using a shortened Harrell Dasher die as a body die, sizing necks with a collet die. For him that works better than a bushing in the same die. His barrel has an 8" twist.

10. pacificman

pacificman

Well I don't shoot in competitions but do like accuracy...I found when using varget and OCW test that
    there was very little change in POI on my targets with many different charge weights of this powder.
    It seems it is very consistent and ended up the powder of choice for my rifle. I ended up at 30.0 grains
    with 87 vmax at over 3000 fps. Seems I could just about pick any load and the POI would be excellent
    on either side of 30 grains easily. I don't know if my info would help or not but thought I'd throw it
    out there. :)

11. Steelnecktie

Well, I had all intentions of running at 2990-3000fps. I'm not really sure why this 3100 node is working with good (positive compensation)? But I'll run with it. I'm not a speed freak, my other F-class rifle is 6.5x284 running at 2940ish. Just wanted to start post to see if anyone else was running the higher node.
    Also, I can't figure out why my pic won't post, says it's 3.9MB and limit is 4.9, but still says it's too big????

12. dbduff

dbduff Gold $$ Contributor

Am I correct your powder in the above posts is Varget?
    Do

13. Steelnecktie

14. Steelnecktie

Yes, Varget and CCI BR4 primer
    32gr. @ 3000
    33.1gr @ 3100
    I don't think most can get to this node after talking with a couple people that have experience shooting this round. I guess I just got a fast barrel. I didn't realize that when I started this post, thought that maybe some others were hitting this node. Like guys said before, accuracy trumps speed, but it's nice when both come together :D

15. AlloyTargets

AlloyTargets Site $$ Sponsor

Nice gong! Sorry for the shameless plug. Good shooting too!

boltfluter likes this.
  16. Steelnecktie

It is one of yours. I bought a whole set, they are super tough, I like that the bullet is destroyed on target and not ricochet off like steel.

AlloyTargets likes this.
  17. g.ross

g.ross

Steel ,
    Are you seeing signs of pressure at that 32grs? I'm at 31.5 and showing flat primers with CCI 450 . May test some BR4 out .
    Alloytargets are great I end buying 2 sets !!
    Thanks guys for sharing your info on this site!!

AlloyTargets likes this.
  18. Steelnecktie

I ran load up to 33.5 and just started seeing slight extractor marks on brass. Not seeing much at 33.1gr primers are flattening out at this point, but no marks on brass.
    From talking with others, I would guess your not going to reach this load. I had about 125rounds down barrel before it quit gaining speed. It's just a fast barrel, I'd guess next year when time comes to replace barrel, I will probably end up in the 2990fps range with everyone else.
    This is pic of fireformed brass and 3x fired at 3100fps @ 33.1gr.
    IMG_1560.JPG

19. holstil

holstil Silver $$ Contributor

Freebore?

20. Steelnecktie

.270" neck / .118" freebore
    Running with bullets jammed .005" past touch