6BRAI Dies questions?

Discussion in '6BR, 6BR Improved & Wildcats' started by sethrows, Jul 6, 2018.

1. sethrows

sethrows

I got a barrel chambered in 6BRAI with a reamer I purchased, and have fireformed about 500 cases. I'm looking for some direction towards what dies I should be using. The reamer is .4708 @ .200 and .463 @ shoulder. I know someone who is using a Redding Type S Dasher die cutdown .085" with this chamber.

Would a cutdown Redding Type S die be fine? Should I be contacting Whidden for custom dies or is there a better direction I that I should go?

Attached Files:

2. Hoodoo

Hoodoo Silver $$ Contributor

Whidden dies would be a good option to go, but you're going to spend more than you really have to. A harrells D3 is what I'm using, and it sizes just fine.

dogdude likes this.
  3. tclaunch

tclaunch Silver $$ Contributor

Your reamer has the larger diameter shoulder than standard Dasher. .4609" is Dasher so I`d contact Whidden to source your FL die, and seater

sethrows likes this.
  4. Evlshnngns

Evlshnngns Silver $$ Contributor

You have the reamer, I would go with a whidden custom.

5. fultonbig9

fultonbig9 Gold $$ Contributor

Yes, Like others have said, with the 463 shoulder you will have to go with a custom die, mine is 463 and I had whidden do mine. Joey

sethrows likes this.
  6. Sheldon N

Sheldon N Silver $$ Contributor

Agree you're probably in custom die territory with the large shoulder diameter and smaller base diameter. The .4708 base will likely require a die that's smaller than the standard offerings. Not sure how much sizing at the base the Redding will give you but I know that Whidden and Forster standard dies were not small enough for my .4708 Dasher and I had to go to a Harrels D4 die. I'm guessing that will size the shoulder too much though.

sethrows likes this.
  7. sethrows

sethrows

What had me thinking was... my Norma Dasher is .4708" and I have been using Redding dies from Bullets, and haven't seen any issues with that combination. Based off Reddings product #, they're run of the mill Dasher dies. But, what has me concerned is the shoulder diameter on my BRAI and how that would work out with a cut Dasher die.

Seems it would be best, to be patient and just order custom dies from Whidden.

8. Phil

Phil

Whidden, given your dimensions.....

9. ridgeway

ridgeway

What is the purpose of running a .463 shoulder in the AI?

10. 1911mag

1911mag Silver $$ Contributor

I bought a Widden and not impressed with design or basic function; my opinion only. Wish would have done Harrel now. I friend got one and I like that design better.

22DASHER and dogdude like this.
  11. tclaunch

When Sam Hall shared the 6 BR Ackley with us, he also shared reamer dimensions, his had .463" shoulder, but Sammi at .200"

**Update**

Sams print is .472" at .200"

Last edited: Jul 8, 2018
    1911mag likes this.
  12. ridgeway

ridgeway

Is there a reason behind it? Logic would stay with .460 and use Harrells Dasher dies or another commercial die. With a .463, you need a full custom die...

13. Rushty

Rushty Gold $$ Contributor

I believe Sam also said if he were to do it again he’d go with .460”-.461” shoulder so there wouldn’t be a need for full custom dies..

14. Willow

Willow

Those custom Whidden dies weren't cheap, but they do work well.

Rushty likes this.
  15. tclaunch

You may have issues with extraction with the body taper in that reamer. It is .00655" per inch as it is, and really needs to be .008". If you have trouble, have the reamer reworked to the std shoulder diameter of .4609". I personally like a larger diameter at the .200" .4715"