6Bra versus 6mm Dasher

Discussion in '6BR, 6BR Improved & Wildcats' started by Stan Taylor, Mar 26, 2020.

1. johara1

johara1

Tom, that gun at the GBA national looked kind of big to be 17 lb..... LOL... jim

tom likes this.
  2. WIB3

WIB3

Yes Jim I have to admit that making brass is truly a big pain. I’m currently working on 300 pieces for maybe this coming season. I started them at Christmas. I’m just about at the point where I can travel to the range and blow them out. Loading them with the same attention to detail that one would do for a match. Yes it takes a lot of time and prepping. Is it worth it, don’t know. I love the prepping and reloading side of the sport just as much as the actual shooting.

3. birdog

birdog DASHER DOME Gold $$ Contributor

Amen, Preach on Brother!!!

4. Stan Taylor

Stan Taylor Gold $$ Contributor

Jim
    I have Mississippi's address if you want it he said he would make you up some Dasher brass I would take him up on it.

5. johara1

johara1

I don't think so........ LMAO...... I may never get to shoot again they way things are going. I have enough barrel chambered in BR Imp to last me .... jim

Stan Taylor likes this.
  6. Alex Wheeler

Alex Wheeler Gold $$ Contributor

Theres a lot left in this game if your looking closely. We still have much improvement to be made in equipment. Keep looking forward....

7. Joe Salt

Joe Salt Silver $$ Contributor

Alex I know some guys have them so do you have a way to air Gage barrels or do you have a super secret way of telling if a barrel is going to shoot?

Jim keep smiling we will get to shoot this year I promise. LoL

Joe Salt

Dave Way and Stan Taylor like this.
  8. rsmithsr50

rsmithsr50

yes ..shoot it in montana air near deep creek !

9. Alex Wheeler

Joe, I have been asked this many times. I play with all kinds of equipment specs including barrel specs. But, the fact is, NO. I would say 99% of them shoot. And very well. Will 99% shoot the load you want, no, but if the owner is a good tuner, 99% shoot.
    To get more specific, I have been asked how many barrels the better shooters chamber a year. We can use Tom for an example since he is on this thread. I would say on average, he has me chamber 2 or 3 a year and I don't think he's had one that wasn't competitive. In fact most seem to be capable of breaking records (in his hands). He would be the one to make that statement however. I think barrels get far too much blame when in fact its the tuner. I have said many times this is a tuners game. Its not a barrel and bullet lottery at all. You have to know how to tune. Tune Tune Tune :)

10. tom

tom Gold $$ Contributor

Joe,

I have 3 6mm's put together now, the orange gun has a barrel that's never been fired. I had Alex build me another gun because these are all 3 to good to waste lol.

Tom

11. Alex Wheeler

Joe, in fact I would find it quite dishonest if I went through barrels and have told that to those who have asked me to do so. If I was to go through them and find the best that would mean Id be knowingly selling the lesser ones to others. I do not play favorites.

bugman, nmjwolf, Northridge and 9 others like this.
  12. Dave Way

Dave Way Gold $$ Contributor

Joe, Alex has chambered four barrels for me in the last year, all with the same reamer. Three have been put in service, two Kriegers and a Hawk Hill. All three seem to like to be fed a little different but all three can put 5 rounds in less than 3” at 1K. At this point I am confident that while the barrels are good, I believe the platform is great. Sometimes I think we focus too much on barrels. The best barrel in the world will not be able to shoot well if the bedding, trigger, rifle balance, scope and mounting system are not up to snuff.

I hope to see you at a match soon,
    Dave.

Last edited: Mar 28, 2020
  13. BOB LEE SWAGGER

BOB LEE SWAGGER

More impressive is that you got the Labradar app to work

boyscout likes this.
  14. Jay Christopherson

Jay Christopherson Administrator

Fact. Since I figured out a process of tuning that works for me, I've only had one barrel in the past 4 years that I couldn't get up to snuff. At most, I chamber 2 barrels per year, keeping 2 in rotation, for a total of 4. I generally end up retiring a barrel (sometimes two) per year. I had to chamber a couple extra last year because I benched a few that I keep for team matches. After coming up with a repeatable process for tuning (which, maybe not coincidentally, came about after quite a lot of input from Alex and Tom, among others), my attrition rate on barrels has gone way down.

Hoodoo and Stan Taylor like this.
  15. gunsandgunsmithing

gunsandgunsmithing The best tuners and wind flags on the market Gold $$ Contributor

Amen Dave! It's definitely the whole package that separates the winning guns from the rest, in terms of equipment. A good barrel can only hide so much. The weakest link in the chain determines how good the rifle is. It's in the details.

16. Alex Wheeler

We do have a saying, "good guns get good barrels". Point being exactly what Dave and Mike said.

Last edited: Mar 28, 2020
  17. Northridge

Northridge

LOl I like that but I assure you the air at Deep Creek is not near as good as Helena, Dillon or Kalispel Mt air

Shawn Williams

bpd459, Stan Taylor and Mulligan like this.
  18. Northridge

Northridge

Success is "developed" not "given" shooting to a smaller resolution than your last best requires the same resolve and open mind. you have to be willing to evolve through pursuit of hands on failures and success. don't just eat peanut butter and jelly just because that is what you have... "fu-- that" jump into the middle of that jelly sandwich, get that shit all over yourself figuring out what makes it spread... get dirty, your kind of dirty may only work for you and that is what really matters but you have to have your eyes wide open & be willing to get dirty.

Shawn Williams

I have learned to blame my ability to tune not the equipment or if my Ford Will run with a Chevy pull the label of manufacture off!!

19. johara1

johara1

You need them to blow out to the same length, is the key to good Dasher brass and takes a long time to get the same blow lengthened a lot of non chlorinated brake cleaner.... jim

Ccrider and Stan Taylor like this.
  20. johara1

johara1

Joe, pretty simple for me to find a great barrel but I do everything under a controlled 100 yds. I tune it to where it is shooting sub .1 and low ES.after it is broke with about a 100 rounds and I hold the same point of aim and shoot in opposing conditions 3 rounds in each condition, if you you get a weather report it is average. If you get a hole its good one and the smaller the hole the better.... so it is a hummer.

I hope I make it through this Virus , and I was counting on this year but the way my eyes are going I don't count on next year at all.... jim